• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

physical clumsiness?

Did you use to walk along he footpath with your eyes closed when you were young?

Just to see how far you could get.

But yeh,small mercies.

Yes!!! I used to walk with my eyes shut as a child. I always had to trail my hand along the garden walls to give me reassurance that I hadn't walked into the middle of the road :)

How did you know? Did you do the same?

Yes!!! I used to walk with my eyes shut as a child. I always had to trail my hand along the garden walls to give me reassurance that I hadn't walked into the middle of the road :)

How did you know? Did you do the same?

Of course I did.

That feeling of not knowing where you were. Feeling that fear build, how far was I from the line?

Like when you climb the stairs expecting another step and it's not there.

The only two high school classes I took that did me any lasting good, driving and typing, I actually was singled out for my proficiency. That made the other students very resentful - I wasn't supposed to do better than they did!
As for HOW I was able to do well in those, I have no idea. Not typical of my abilities, and I probably wouldn't do well if I had to learn them now.

I used to walk through the forest with my eyes closed to see how well I remembered the paths I used to take. It was fun.

I feel you, I constantly bump into things and knock things over. Driving is the real struggle though, hand-eye coordination was just not something I was gifted with.

Clumsy - yes. I was known for running into trees and signs when I was young. Always dropping things. Sports - lol. I'd throw a ball and somehow it'd end up behind me. Can not quite get that follow through thing. A couple years ago my son was explaining it while we were playing pool - I can't make myself do it. But I keep trying to practice with my pooper scooper when I'm cleaning up the yard. :)

In the Oliver Sachs book, the man who mistook his wife for a hat, I remember there was someone lost their balance whenever they closed their eyes.

Losing your balance when you close your eye's means that you have an inner ear problem. You may not know this, but you ears don't just pick up sound. They are also gyroscopes/accelerators as well and are part of your body's inertial tracking system. You are not consciously aware of this but it play an important role in you ability to balance. If this does not work. You have to compensate for this loss by visually sensing your body's orientation.

I’m a chef.... I went to culinary school and graduated with honors with a lot of help, but I always had around 70% in appearance (appearance is super important in culinary school and I still managed to get a 90+ % because I am good at written exams.)

That was mainly because I started the day out well, but by the end of 8 hours I was a mess. I don’t even know or understand how it happens, I am clean 1 moment and a wreck the next.

I was told by a person who hired me my food was great, but they had to re-clean after I left. It made me feel so bad :( and people say you can fix that about you, but I have yet to figure out how. >_<

I can't seem to walk a straight line or turn a corner without hitting anything, my depth perception isn't what it's cracked up to be (I can pass the depth perception test with flying colors, but when it comes to actually grabbing something or you know, not walking into the door before I open it, I fail horribly.)

My fine motor skills are excellent though, which is odd. As long as I'm working on something small, I can do things that astound people, but then I go to walk across the room and run straight into a wall.

Me exactly. I'm always knocking myself on things when navigating or smacking my head when I get up from somewhere with a low ceiling. I could never catch a ball, make a basket, barely kick a ball, do much of anything in that department.

But fine skills are excellent. From an early age I could eyeball a piece of cereal in the box, reach in blindly and grab it first try. I can work on intricate things, solder small boards, build and fix small things, and can easily work on cars in tight spaces where I can't see and can only go by feel. Much more easily than working on trucks where things are more spaced out. I can play music and with some practice can play 2 keyboards and sing at once, even though my voice isn't anything worthwhile I can still do it.

Yeah, I deal with clumsiness too. It's funny to me that somehow I have managed to convince some people that I am very graceful. I think I've done that by always sitting still in their presence. LOL I'm not too bad as long as I don't move but once moving it is sheer luck if I don't have an accident. I'm always bruised. I drop things, miss the target and bash things into other things, I fall and I have had some rather serious accidents because of that. I've got a ruptured disc in my lower spine due to falling down the stairs a couple of years ago. I'm honestly afraid that my death will be the result of something really undignified like falling off the toilet.

I can play tennis and manage to hit the ball, thread a needle so I don't think there's anything wrong with my hand-eye coordination, but I could never do the breast-stroke in swimming, and found things like ballroom dancing difficult. Also, can't type nearly as well as most people. My handwriting is very bad, too.
I find that what I can and cannot do well is an odd and contradictory mixture. I have days when my hand-eye coordination is amazing and days when it is terrible. I don't know which kind of day it is until I attempt something. LOL

Me exactly. I'm always knocking myself on things when navigating or smacking my head when I get up from somewhere with a low ceiling. I could never catch a ball, make a basket, barely kick a ball, do much of anything in that department.

But fine skills are excellent. From an early age I could eyeball a piece of cereal in the box, reach in blindly and grab it first try. I can work on intricate things, solder small boards, build and fix small things, and can easily work on cars in tight spaces where I can't see and can only go by feel. Much more easily than working on trucks where things are more spaced out. I can play music and with some practice can play 2 keyboards and sing at once, even though my voice isn't anything worthwhile I can still do it.

I'm a machinist by trade- I work in tight spaces by feel too. I swear that it's my excellent visualization skills - I can draw a picture in my head by feel and "see" with my body that way.

Extreme klutz here,I somehow always end up tripping over or bumping into something and also drop things all the time, i know clumsiness is part of the spectrum but I am starting to suspect that I may have dyspraxia as a comorbid.

Last edited:
Always clumsy.
Knocking over a glass, tripping into the floor with my foot, getting bruises or cuts and not knowing when,
never good at sports. I did learn to like tennis, but, never got good at it.
Like some others have mentioned, fine motor skills are good. Intricate things, drawing, painting,
threading needles.
Driving a car is easy except for getting anxiety from being in traffic.

Losing your balance with eyes closed is also a sign of nervous system problems like neuropathy
or MS type diseases as well as inner ear problems.
I have it from neuropathy. Can't stand with eyes closed.

Of course I did.

That feeling of not knowing where you were. Feeling that fear build, how far was I from the line?

Like when you climb the stairs expecting another step and it's not there.
Always clumsy.
Knocking over a glass, tripping into the floor with my foot, getting bruises or cuts and not knowing when,
never good at sports. I did learn to like tennis, but, never got good at it.
Like some others have mentioned, fine motor skills are good. Intricate things, drawing, painting,
threading needles.
Driving a car is easy except for getting anxiety from being in traffic.

Losing your balance with eyes closed is also a sign of nervous system problems like neuropathy
or MS type diseases as well as inner ear problems.
I have it from neuropathy. Can't stand with eyes closed.
losing your balance can also be an infection and dehydration .

I've stubbed my toe so many times that I'm surprised it's still intact!

And why is it always as your foot is speeding up to a million miles an hour as you're taking the next step.

It's like you actively just decided to kick the door without your shoes on again and again.
But also, the edge of the door.

And why is it always as your foot is speeding up to a million miles an hour as you're taking the next step.

It's like you actively just decided to kick the door without your shoes on again and again.
But also, the edge of the door.
Except that it's not me who wants to kick the door, it's the door that keeps wanting to get in the way of my foot and cause me pain. So I take my revenge by kicking it even harder - ouch!! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom