• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

physical clumsiness?

AwkwardSilence

Thinking about one of the most frustrating, lifelong traits I've dealt with. Clumsiness, and terrible hand-eye coordination. I'm always dropping things, struggling to operate small knobs and switches, and trying not to knock things over. Walking on icy sidewalks is almost impossible, and when I was forced to try softball as a kid, I could never make the bat connect with the ball.
I wish I could learn to dance, juggle, ice skate, ski, or something requiring coordination, but it would be easier to teach my dog to do them.
Anyone here had lifelong struggles with clumsiness?

Thinking about one of the most frustrating, lifelong traits I've dealt with. Clumsiness, and terrible hand-eye coordination. I'm always dropping things, struggling to operate small knobs and switches, and trying not to knock things over. Walking on icy sidewalks is almost impossible, and when I was forced to try softball as a kid, I could never make the bat connect with the ball.
I wish I could learn to dance, juggle, ice skate, ski, or something requiring coordination, but it would be easier to teach my dog to do them.
Anyone here had lifelong struggles with clumsiness?
Saaaaame. I think it might be an executive function thing.

Anyone here had lifelong struggles with clumsiness

Yeeesssssssssssssssssss!

Clumsiness - the bane of my life. Well, one of them.

Constant bruises, cuts and scratches, tripping over, falling over and even the occasional fracture.

I'v tried quite a few things to help myself - being mindful. Yoga. Pilates. Pilates on a ball (that was really challenging!!!). Co-ordinated step classes. Co-ordinated dance classes.

I find sitting in a chair doing nothing helps :D

Absolutely! Just ran into the door frame a bit ago at work and I’m always shaking the table at break time so much they call me Mikezilla.

I'm not that bad really - though I do drop things quite a lot or bump into things, and I've never been very good at sports.

I can't seem to walk a straight line or turn a corner without hitting anything, my depth perception isn't what it's cracked up to be (I can pass the depth perception test with flying colors, but when it comes to actually grabbing something or you know, not walking into the door before I open it, I fail horribly.)

My fine motor skills are excellent though, which is odd. As long as I'm working on something small, I can do things that astound people, but then I go to walk across the room and run straight into a wall.

Somebody in one of these forums mentioned they could trip over themselves while standing perfectly still. That has happened to me! I was never one for sports, and when I was taking piano lessons, I could play either hand's part but I couldn't coordinate the two hands together.

Yes. When I was younger, I wore the 'Invincible' mask. Didn't care, didn't actually realise I had more mishaps than anyone else. Even used to brag I'd never broken a bone. Then BANG, I broke them all at once. Now, I realise my depth & range perception is totally off. I am always banging into things & bruises appear out of nowhere. Pretty sure I'd always been that way, just took to older years for it to be more pronounced so I'd notice. Or maybe, it's just gotten worse through self abuse & well, getting older?

In the Oliver Sachs book, the man who mistook his wife for a hat, I remember there was someone lost their balance whenever they closed their eyes.
That’s actually rather common when the cerebellum - or little brain - is damaged in some way. It’s part of the standard neurological exam to have someone close their eyes while they’re standing still to see if they start swaying or have a tendency to fall.

I can play tennis and manage to hit the ball, thread a needle so I don't think there's anything wrong with my hand-eye coordination, but I could never do the breast-stroke in swimming, and found things like ballroom dancing difficult. Also, can't type nearly as well as most people. My handwriting is very bad, too.

I am very, very clumsy. I like sports and participate in individual sports. No matter how hard I try or how much I spend on equipment, I just can not do it very well. Lucky for me, if I am having fun it does not bother me to much.

I have that, too. Seems like my hands are working together just fine but when it comes to my whole body while playing sports it looks kinda funny. This is why I hate P.E lessons. I'm so terrible at sports.

New Threads

Top Bottom