• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Overwhelmed parent

MumToA&D

Hi Evereyone.

I want to write an intro but feel like there is too much to say.

I am a mother of 2, my eldest A is a girl and is 5 years old and we have just gone through a diagnosis process. The psych's impressions after sessions were that A has high functioning aspergers. I am trying to work out exactly what all these classifications are and how this relates to A.
We are told psych's report will be sent to paed in about 4 weeks where we will receive a diagnosis. :S

A was always a very advanced child verbally. Always on the go and i considered her having ADHD untill we were told to seek diagnosis for ASD. A talks nonstop, to the point where you want to pull your hair out. At the age of 4 i noticed she was never tired like her friends would be after kinder, after a big day out, i noticed other kids could relax, be carefree and not over think everything. Would never throw herself into anything most kids would and she would almost question safety of, makings of all actrvities.
A was reserved, had friends, but was annoying to most people. She had no idea when enough was enough in any aspect of her life (with kids or adults). She only responds to yelling and screaming, everything else goes unnoticed/ignored. She has ridiculous fears that her brother is going to get lost when he is out of the pram(this has never happened to either of them before or to anyone we know) she stresses and cannot sleep at night, bent over with stomach pains because kids she knows says naughty words or talk in class.
She constantly needs to tickle people, be chased by friends.
Feels she needs to report every play-ground goings on to the yard duty teacher or class teacher. Feels its her responibility to help others in all aspects. Mothers her brother to the point where he is hating it (he is 2)

She has no idea of spatial awareness, cannot fit things in her school bag properly or realises to turn a puzzle piece a different way, instead cries and gets angry. She thinks she can squeeze through gaps that she cannot and then gets hurt or stuck or bowls people over.
No matter how hard i we cannot use scissors correctly (rememeber how to hold them)
Putting her socks on is one area where i can explain her lack of tolerance where she feels she cannot put them on properly and its a crisis if they are not on properly (heal or toe lined up exactly) and rush's to me and is crying as if its an emergency and needs to be fixed straight away!

When she gets up in the morning she wants a run-down of what we are going to do for the day (this start in bed the night before actually) she is ok with changes to plans but any changes get noticed instantly and need an explination.

She cannot be given more than one instruction at a time or she is lost.

She can talk and talk and talk, but cannot look at you while doing so or not fidgeting while talking is impossible. She cannot sit still EVER!

She tries to cuddle you but just hurts everytime she climbs on like she doesn't know her strength or something. She walks into a room and doesnt say anything just instantly grabs you tight or jumps on you.

No matter how much attention she gets its never enough. When she is having fun its over the top, otherwise there is no real indecation she is having a good time.

In general she is a very well behaved kid, but her habits, social ways are almost unbearable at times.
Of all i have listed here is just a big blurt out by me (apologies) but i feel i have only touched the tip of the iceburg :cry:

I guess i have joined as i need somewhere to share this all, would love insight to anything i have mentioned above and most of all feel understoond.
Thanks for reading!

A sounds very mature and responsible and motherly, and she loves her baby brother very much, obviously. her trying to mother him is a show of unselfishness. and they say we're all so selfish and cant love anyone...
i used to be hyperactive, too, terribly so, and could never relax. i can relate so much to what you've written! she doesnt know how to fit things in her bag? neither do i, lol. she thinks she can fit through gaps she cant? i had no idea how to get on a bike and thought you stepped on the peddle with one foot while throwing the other over... that didnt work, by the way, and i wasnt wearing a helmat, yet i stayed alive to write in this forum.
cant use scissors correctly? i have trouble, up to this day, to light a match, and i'm in my mid forties. my sister, five years younger, learned to lit a match before i did. that sucks...
i cant do two things at the same time, either. which is why i cant be a waitress, and i've wanted to so badly, because of the tips, and i really needed the money back then, so bad. i've lost several jobs because of that.
many aspies have stomach aches, i did all my life, even as a child. many aspies suffer from general anxiety, i do.
A sounds so kind and caring, thinking it's her duty to help others in all aspects.

alien girl- thanks for your reply and understanding.

I hope my post didnt come across as if i resent A or have bad feeling towards her. If anything i am venting frustrations and finding out as much info as i can so i don't take frustrations out on her and so i can help her as much as possible.
A's anxiety, needs for touch and her over turning mind is what stresses me out the most for her.
I am worried for her social life in future, her ability to be socially accepted and not 'stand out' for the wrong reasons.
She is a lovely natured child, not a bad bone in her body, very caring and really does have peoples best intrests at heart but the traits that she has with AS make it easy to forget or miss these qualities.

They say early diagnosis can do wonders right? she will grow up with minimal suffering due to AS right? oh please someone re-assure me!

Hi,

Glad you posted. You should read Tony Attwood book. Also, if you search on Amazon there are some good books about Girl's and Aspergers. I bought many used and they have been extremely helpful.

Welcome to AC! I'm sure you'll find lots of people to chat and connect with here. Welcome! Welcome!

alien girl- thanks for your reply and understanding.

I hope my post didnt come across as if i resent A or have bad feeling towards her. If anything i am venting frustrations and finding out as much info as i can so i don't take frustrations out on her and so i can help her as much as possible.
A's anxiety, needs for touch and her over turning mind is what stresses me out the most for her.
I am worried for her social life in future, her ability to be socially accepted and not 'stand out' for the wrong reasons.
She is a lovely natured child, not a bad bone in her body, very caring and really does have peoples best intrests at heart but the traits that she has with AS make it easy to forget or miss these qualities.

They say early diagnosis can do wonders right? she will grow up with minimal suffering due to AS right? oh please someone re-assure me!

yes, an early diagnosis is extremely important. i grew up thinking i was a freak and not understanding why i did what i did. early diagnosis gives answers and boosts self esteem.
it doesnt sound like you resent her at all. sounds like you're very concerned about her. she'll be all right. of course, we have problems and difficulties, but who doesnt, right? she has a very early diagnosis and a mother who understands her and doesnt resent her or force her to make friends, like some people on this forum complained. and who doesnt pretend and not want to know what's going on. some aspies' parents have those issues and constantly make their kids feel ashamed and put them down for not making friends. i do believe if the parents handle this right the kid wouldnt suffer later in life. and you seem to take this the right way and notice things like A squeezing through gaps she cant fill etc. you're very perceptive, instead of simply not seeing what you dont want to see, like some people. you sound like you accept your daughter the way she is and love her unconditionally.
could be a good idea for her to learn self defense, though, and krav maga is the best. we aspies get bullied a lot, or might even be attacked viciously, and i mean physically. it also helps control rage attacks. i took kickboxing classes and punching and kicking the bags while building up rage thinking about how people treated me in the past, and then stopping when the instructor tells you to, gave me the ability to control my rage attacks, otherwise i dont know if i'd end up in jail or not, because i was in blood boiling conditions when being picked on and provoked in all kind of ways...
a pet is a good idea. i felt so much better ever since getting my cats, both dead now. dont buy from a pet store because due to inbreeding they have genetic diseases and A will watch her cat/dog suffer and die. get from a reputable breeder who knows the parents and grandparents and dont breed those with genetic diseases, or, if you live in a place full to the brim with feral cats, like i do, just snatch one off the street. they usually dont have genetic diseases because they dont inbred.
or maybe she can find an aspie friends, somewhere, face to face or... no, she's too young to use a forum, yet.
if she can find an obsession that keeps her occupied and busy, that's great, encourage her. who knows, she might turn it into a career when she grows up.
or maybe she can find companion within the family? like i always spend time with my nieces, even through they're pretty much grown by now, but i've been a part of their lives since they were real small. maybe you can encourage A to get closer to her little cousins.
there are relaxation exercises for insomnia and stomach aches. i'm working on loosening my muscles, feeling them more and more loose with every breath, and trying to feel relax more and more with every breath. should work on it during the day, when she's not trying to sleep, in order to get good at it, and loosening the stomach for the stomach aches. damn those stomach aches.
it sounds kinda weird giving advice concerning children, since i never had any and never will. but she can be happy and have a good life.

I'd also recommend religious principals and teachings. They can help alleviate a lot of the anxieties and stresses of life. Plus, they provide a stable and friendly place to socialize with other people, all with a common theme or purpose. Which is so nice!

As she gets older, she can, and probably will, make her own decisions on Religion, God, existence and such.

yes, an early diagnosis is extremely important. i grew up thinking i was a freak and not understanding why i did what i did.

^This!!! I'm 28 and currently going through diagnosis, I also have a 6 year old who I suspect has Asperger's too and we will be going for a diagnosis for her too (if the children's mental health team ever get off their butts and give us an appointment!).

Some things I can relate to about your first post;

A talks nonstop, to the point where you want to pull your hair out.
Yes! My little girl never shuts up, constant questions and as you said sometimes you just want to pull your hair out (I was exactly the same as a child)

She has ridiculous fears.....
My daughter seems to randomly decide something is scary or she worries/ is fearful about things, I can sympathise with her because I do this too but the difference is as an adult I know that generally it's silly paranoia and thinking the worst case scenario rather then what will likely happen.

She has no idea of spatial awareness, cannot fit things in her school bag properly or realises to turn a puzzle piece a different way, instead cries and gets angry.

The puzzle thing actually made me laugh, the amount of times my daughter has sat and got herself in a right mood because she can't do a jigsaw, no matter how many times I explain it just doesn't seem to register that you can turn the pieces and just because one piece has a hole and the other has a sticky out bit does not mean they fit together.

Putting her socks on is one area where i can explain her lack of tolerance where she feels she cannot put them on properly and its a crisis if they are not on properly (heal or toe lined up exactly) and rush's to me and is crying as if its an emergency and needs to be fixed straight away!

This is what my daughter is like as well and I am too, I'm guessing what's happening is she's putting her socks on they feel wrong/uncomfortable and she needs them taken off and put on 'right' RIGHT NOW!!!. I'm very particular about socks if I don't put them on right it can feel like agony, it's so hard to explain but when something feels 'wrong' it's like torture and you simply have to get it off and start again. My daughter has the same problem with socks, underwear (we have to buy 2 sizes bigger then she is so they sit the way she likes and they don't 'annoy' her). Clothing in general, she has a certain school cardigan that she refuses to wear because it feels itchy, yet it feels fine to me but then I have the same problem with certain clothing it can irritate me in ways that wouldn't bother most people.

I guess i have joined as i need somewhere to share this all, would love insight to anything i have mentioned above and most of all feel understoond.
Thanks for reading!

Don't worry you are most definitely understood here and if you have any questions feel free to ask everyone's really nice here.

Welcome to AC :)

I am your daughter--or I was your daughter 40 years ago. My mother could have written much the same thing about me. Why do I know this? Because they made sure that I knew it!!!

Your daughter needs more than anything else to know that she is loved. This doesn't mean overlook or excuse her behavior, but I am concerned that even though you are venting to us and not her she may somehow pick up on your feelings and feel very much unloved and unwanted. Never, never, never, use the word "inconvenient" in connection with her. We may seem like we are in our own world but we have feelings and we do hear and see a good deal more than people realize.

There are times--honestly--when I have thought that perhaps the kindest thing to be done with problem children like me is to humanely euthanize them as soon as these problems start manifesting. I know that sounds appalling, but I have carried a burden of guilt all my life that I was not the daughter my mother dreamed of. That my problems derailed plans and dreams of her own. I know because I heard it. I heard it a lot. I am a disappointment, an inconvenience. I held her back. And yes, I was a lot like your daughter.

I hope I haven't come across as being harsh and insensitive, it's just that reading your post brought back so many memories of my struggles with my parents. My father was physically around but emotionally he rejected me too--I never could please him or measure up. He used to write down how many times I had a meltdown in his diary. I know this because he's in the process of putting his diary onto the computer and I happened to see it one day. He doesn't know that I saw what he had written all those years ago. We just don't talk about such things.

Honestly, I really don't know what is to be done with children like us. Autism has caused so much damage in my family that I doubt it will never heal.

I feel your pain. I have an eleven year old grandson who I have custody of since he was 3. When my husband and I first got custody of him we didn't know he had autism. He got kicked out of 2 daycares and I had to work. My husband took him to see a pediatric neurologist and he diangoised him with ADHD, PDD, ODD and speach delay and put him on medication. We went home and we contacted our school district to find out if they could help us even though he was only 3. They told us to bring him in and they gave him a couple of tests. He was put in our county's preschool. This really helped because he needed the socialization. My grandson was like a bowling ball in a china factory. He thinks any kid should play what he wants to play. One of the daycares took him back because he was on medication. With him being in school and the medication and structure we got a little relief. With his body growing and changes the medication and school has to change also. He is eleven now and we are still go through a lot. Just this past summer he had to be hopitalized 3 times. Each time a whole week in the hospital. He attacked my husband and I. He is almost 5 foot and weighs 110 pounds. It was so upsetting to have to call 911 on your own grandson. I almost gave him up, but I got a different counselor and a different doctor. We joined a parent support group and I am now trying to get him in a different school. He is now in a At Risk for Children School and I hate it because they are not trained in autism. He gets restrained at least once a week. I have a IEP meeting with the school next month. I am telling them that he needs to be in a School for Kids with Autism. I am going to have to fight.

What I am trying to say is that don't ever give up. If you get the right doctor, counselors and school, things will get better. There is a lot to do and it is very over whelming. One of the first things I would do is contact your school district. They might be able to help you. Get the right doctor. You will probably have to go to a few of them until you find the right one for your daughter. Find a support group. Maybe you can find them through a church or ask the doctor.

You will be going through a lot of things. But don't forget every kid is different. If you find out from someone that something might be working for them and you try it and it doesn't work for you don't get discouraged. Also the biggest advise I have to tell you is TAKE A BREAK sometimes. Go on a vacation or a weekend get away if you can. You will not be any help if you get Burnt Out. There is a lot more to say but I don't have forever to type everything. GOOD LUCK and hang in there.

I hope I haven't come across as being harsh and insensitive, it's just that reading your post brought back so many memories of my struggles with my parents. My father was physically around but emotionally he rejected me too--I never could please him or measure up. He used to write down how many times I had a meltdown in his diary. I know this because he's in the process of putting his diary onto the computer and I happened to see it one day. He doesn't know that I saw what he had written all those years ago. We just don't talk about such things.

Honestly, I really don't know what is to be done with children like us. Autism has caused so much damage in my family that I doubt it will never heal.

Absolutely not! I appreciate your reply and everyone elses. Thats what i have joined for, to receive honest, experienced replies. So thank-you. i think you will all help me to be a better mother to A, my intentions are good and im getting great advice :)

Im back....
back at the intro post....why?
well because everytime i want to ask things in other areas i an never find the words... i cant find the words no matter where i go. I feel when it comes to A i have so many questions, so many things happening/going on in one day and then i go to seek advice and i go blank on what it is that i am wanting to know or i have no idea how to explain A's behaviour :cry:
Sometimes i feel like im making it all up... that maybe she doesnt have AS and im just onew of those parents who looks for diagnosis' just cos. Then other days i see her and i feel there is no way i am making this up, this is not all in my head!
I guess i am relieved and frustrated at the same time that A is not hugely affected to a degree that others notice all that much. Im relieved for obvious reasons, but frustrated as i feel no one can support me/see what we are seeing and therefore i feel i don't want to tell people for fear of them thinking im making it up :cry:
does any of this make any sense to anyone??? :unsure:

I feel the way you do too, my daughter isn't diagnosed yet (we've only just gotten an appointment through with the children's mental health team for May) and some days I wonder if maybe I am thinking too much about it (particularly because I'm sure I have Asperger's) and she's normal. Then there are other days and moments when I think she is not like other kids and that asperger's is the answer.

Your in the right place for support and feel free to ask any question no matter how silly you think it may be :)

hello, you must be tired all of the time.. everything you wrote sounds like my girlfriends 6 yr old daughter. and i see how tired my girlfriend gets everyday. we are thinking about getting the 6 yr old tested, but i think my GF is scared to find out because she also has a 15 yr od boy who has aspies and i dont know if she can mentally accept what could be. what do you do to emotionally protect yourself from breaking? i have such a hard time getting my GF to take time for herself or us. everytime she does, we come back to so much of a crisis, that she says it just isnt worth it and the emotional swing from feeling relaxed for a bit to going back to emotional tornados is to hard of a swing for her. but i still keep trying to get her to let herself relax. i think she just feels so guilty and helpless. honestly, i feel helpless too. do you have a support system that is helpful.
my name is kevin

New Threads

Top Bottom