• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi DissolvedGirl! Welcome! I suffer from an overactive mind, too, having PDD-NOS, so I can relate to what you're dealing with. Falling asleep is an insanely difficult task, especially when you start thinking about the action itself... What I try to do, is instead start focusing on something very non-abstract, that is not part of my worries. For example; how does the armour of a horse-back knight overlap from below? I start thinking of the little bits and leather, and try to focus as hard as I can on that.
I have found that focusing on a topic that isn't relevant to my worries, my situation, sleep, the universe, etc. makes it easier for my brain to go into a mode that makes the falling asleep part not scary enough to worry about.
Oh... I also make sure to not think of something exciting that I am going to do sometime in the future.
... Yeah. Tough. What kinda art do you do? I'm curious, because I have always drawn as a way to cope with the images in my head. Wanted or no.

Thank you for your comment! Interesting techniques you use! The best thing that works is just focusing on by breathing, although that's quite of an effort as well, since I'll just find myself witnessing my mind thinking thoughts again at one point. But it's the right way to go if I want to sleep earlier. Too bad my nose is stuffy way too often cause of allergies, sinus issues or plain ol' crying.

I draw as well! It's one of my more recent activities but over these past four-five years I've really drawn a lot and managed to find my own style and way of expression.

I also take film photography (daylight activity), I'm especially focused on nature. I'm blessed to live very close to the forest so I'll try to go there as often as I can and I'll just lose myself in the beauty of it all and explore the woods by myself, taking photos of everything that catches my eye. I can share an instagram if you'd like!

I've also been writing for a long part of my life, I used to write a lot of fiction, short stories, in my native language and English as well. But now that I have a main job that also involves writing, I've been writing less, mostly experimental stuff in notebooks that I don't post anywhere. Now I've started a blog about my experience being...whatever it is that I am. I found it really helps, ever since I discovered my traits & symptoms look a lot like Asperger's I've been a little obsessive about it and I really needed somewhere to verbally process everything and let it all out.

I've also recently gotten into clay. It's an amazing experience! Unlike anything I've ever tried, the tactile experience really soothes me, and it's incredible to have a 3d object as an end result, made by your own hands!

Hey, I'm interested in a link to either, if you feel safe enough to post anything!
just saw both of you know you can post your art in the media section that's in the top left-hand corner and you can blog in the blog section which is in the top left-hand corner

Hey, I'm interested in a link to either, if you feel safe enough to post anything!
Here are some drawings. The bw ones are older. Recently I've been really enjoying experimenting with color and I started a series called alien plants, it's all free flow. Even though I have a visual mind, I can't draw what I visualize, so I just let them come to life naturally.
I also have other kinds of drawings, I just freeflow my way through everything when it comes to art. The less I doubt, the less I think, the less I hesitate, the better and more genuine it will actually be.
Here's the instagram account: www.instagram.com/analog.log

Attachments

• 1-5.jpg
    1-5.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0005-1-3.jpg
    DSC_0005-1-3.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1-1.jpg
    1-1.jpg
    926.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_1895.JPG
    DSC_1895.JPG
    751.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_1898.JPG
    DSC_1898.JPG
    335.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_1899.JPG
    DSC_1899.JPG
    330.1 KB · Views: 0
  • plants-2.jpg
    plants-2.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 0
just saw both of you know you can post your art in the media section that's in the top left-hand corner and you can blog in the blog section which is in the top left-hand corner
Aw I just saw this, I had already shared something. Should I delete and post in the media section?

Up to a point what you wrote was virtually identical with what I have always experienced as far as overactive mind. I also developed a mind quieting technique, early on, like Gekko2508 mentioned to help me sleep. In my case (after a few stretchy stimms) I start with a story I have written in my head, and then go over the same story every night. Repetition, nothing new, etc.

I part ways at about 'At night, when I'm especially tired...' I gave up any mind altering things early on. I didn't know I was Aspie but knew I was mentally challenged in some way. So I came to think I needed all the mental facilities I could manage in life, without then whacking myself on the head regularly with a cast iron pan, so to speak.

Up to a point what you wrote was virtually identical with what I have always experienced as far as overactive mind. I also developed a mind quieting technique, early on, like Gekko2508 mentioned to help me sleep. In my case (after a few stretchy stimms) I start with a story I have written in my head, and then go over the same story every night. Repetition, nothing new, etc.

I part ways at about 'At night, when I'm especially tired...' I gave up any mind altering things early on. I didn't know I was Aspie but knew I was mentally challenged in some way. So I came to think I needed all the mental facilities I could manage in life, without then whacking myself on the head regularly with a cast iron pan, so to speak.

Haha, fair enough! Weed actually helps up to a point, but there's always a fine line between things. Regarding the psychedelic experiences, fortunately I can experience them without any drugs as well, there are just times when I feel especially connected to the environment. The forest is usually the best place for me to experience those hard-to-name energetic experiences.

Haha, fair enough! Weed actually helps up to a point, but there's always a fine line between things. Regarding the psychedelic experiences, fortunately I can experience them without any drugs as well, there are just times when I feel especially connected to the environment. The forest is usually the best place for me to experience those hard-to-name energetic experiences.

I'm commenting on the substances themselves, but not looking down on you. I think nearly all of us have things we use, that help us cope. For me it was nicotine (smoking) and caffeine (coffee & tea)... (that 'i' before 'e' rule is such b.s. ). Along with Theobromine (chocolate) I think we have covered the most important food groups. They all have their price.

The forest is also my favorite restorative place. I live in one now, a nature preserve actually. But I found similar healthy boosts from the seashore and even a desert. Interestingly I read a recent study that found there was a chemical factor in forests that improved mood, perhaps physiology. ...I know... science takes all the fun out of things. ;)

I also used to let my imagination run and play around with thoughts of connections and communications. Having a history special interest I especially was curious if events left some imprint in the place they occurred.

That faded in time and by the adoption of other models but I still play with and enjoy those ideas in the realm of fiction.

I'm commenting on the substances themselves, but not looking down on you. I think nearly all of us have things we use, that help us cope. For me it was nicotine (smoking) and caffeine (coffee & tea)... (that 'i' before 'e' rule is such b.s. ). Along with Theobromine (chocolate) I think we have covered the most important food groups. They all have their price.

The forest is also my favorite restorative place. I live in one now, a nature preserve actually. But I found similar healthy boosts from the seashore and even a desert. Interestingly I read a recent study that found there was a chemical factor in forests that improved mood, perhaps physiology. ...I know... science takes all the fun out of things. ;)

I also used to let my imagination run and play around with thoughts of connections and communications. Having a history special interest I especially was curious if events left some imprint in the place they occurred.

That faded in time and by the adoption of other models but I still play with and enjoy those ideas in the realm of fiction.

Wow, that's amazing, living on a nature reserve! Could you tell me where it is? No need for the exact details haha, I'm just curious.
I'm actually an environmental journalist, I just got started half a year ago but it perfectly fits my special interests and it's got me learning so much in such a short amount a time! I'm especially passionate about ecosystems, the animal & plant world.

I actually wrote an article about the health benefits of forests! There are lots of things going on there that help, and almost all of them also have a restorative effect on the mind, it's pretty amazing. And the microbiome there is really beneficial for our ****ed up modern human immune systems. And, come to think of it, it's natural, we were once free to roam in the wilderness, it's us sitting in concrete jungles that's unnatural, disease & anxiety inducing (speaking of that, there are also really intriguing studies about the bad effects big cities have on the mind).

I think it makes sense that events leave their mark on their place, just like traumatic events leave their mark in our DNA and trauma gets passed on to many generations to come. I think most ancient religions had this thing with purifying spaces. I have Palo Santo at home and I always make a little ritual before going to sleep, I can really feel its healing and cleansing powers!

I feel all of you.

My mind races like crazy when I go to bed and it’s very hard for me to sleep because of it. I thought it had to do with a new medication I got recently.

But I do agree that exhausting yourself throughout the day helps as it did me when I started helping my parents make a deck we’re building right now.

I have always called myself a Compulsive Overthinker. It is getting a little better as I get older (I am 65). It used to keep me up in the middle of the night, replaying conversations and figuring out what I should have said. Get to the end of the loop and go back to the beginning and go through the same thing again. What it means now is that I need to turn on the tv or read a book for a little while to break the mental thread. That usually works now.

Hello!

I've just recently realized that I'm probably a high-functioning aspie. At least, this would explain so many things in my life that didn't make sense until now.

I've always had a very overactive mind. Meaning, it just goes on all the time, it spreads in all directions but it also has its fair share of repetitive loops.

I can feel this inner agitation especially at night, when I try to sleep. I've been having sleep issues my entire life and eventually I just accepted the fact that I usually can't just fall asleep because I won't be able to turn off my mind and it will keep going.

The contents of the thoughts are very varied. From all sorts of anxieties (about the present, past but especially future) to songs or pieces of songs stuck inside my head, bits and pieces of conversations I recently had or things I recently went through, noises, unfinished words, all sorts of voices and incessant chatter, sometimes I don't even understand what's going on there.

There will be lots of repetitive thoughts, sometimes intrusive, I tend to ruminate and struggle to let go of things until I feel they're addressed in one way or another, they'll just remain stuck in my head. I also tend to overthink things and worry a lot, I'm actively working on censoring my negative thoughts so they won't take over, I developed all sorts of intuitive techniques before knowing I'm an aspie.

Then there's the creative parts. I will sometimes visualize entire funny skits, or unwillingly compose songs, or my brain will start to write something new. In my head. I almost never get the chance to copy the ideas so I just sit there, enjoying the ephemeral nature of it all.

At night, when I'm especially tired or stoned, I also get more psychedelic experiences of inner voices guiding me and telling me all sorts of revelations (that I usually forget until the next day) or feeling like I'm a broken radiohead catching other people's thoughts and different other frequencies.

I'm also very connected to the inner voice, which guides me often. I can also have amazing experiences connecting to plants or rocks, I speak to them out loud and I can sometimes feel their answers (please don't judge, I have a deep and special relationship with nature and I think plants and rocks have a conscience).

So is this an Aspie trait/symptom? Or is it just more intense for us? Honestly, it's a very exhausting experience, sometimes I feel like my mind is this giant beast on a leash and it always runs ahead of me and I'm getting dragged face up somewhere behind. It comes as a blessing and as a curse at the same time, but sometimes I wish I could just make.it.stop.thinking. Sometimes a small part of me just wants to die cause it doesn't feel it will be able to keep up with this my whole life, too tired already and I'm not even 30 years old yet.

If I wouldn't be making art and wouldn't be spending time in the woods and in peace and quiet I think I'd fall apart.
I am familiar with most of these "inner turmoil" and "racing mind" states and occurrences.
I have found that a mindfulness meditation practice reduces the insistency, frequency, and duration of these phenomena. "Meditation For Dummies" is a fantastically written book, illustrates a plethora of meditations, and is written in a way so as to give only necessary religious perspective/background, in an unbiased way.

This is interesting & a number of interesting responses. Yes my mind keeps going constantly. The point about having conversations on your head is spot on for me. I simulate conversations quite a bit, different responses or scenarios. All the time. I don't have a huge amount of trouble going to sleep. What gets me is waking up in the middle of the night & then my mind is off to the races! I'm very much an analyser too. So I'm constantly analysing things, events, conversations, etc. Finally one thing I constantly do is think in music. Often I wake up in the morning with a song already stuck in my head. Its like a constant earworm that never really goes away...

I've read this is a common trait with Asperger's and especially when you have a bit of ADHD with it.
My motto has always been my mind is like a run away computer. But, try to put it into spoken words
is something else.
I'm 60 and have lived my life like this, so I don't think you have to worry your brain is going to fall
apart from these constant thoughts.
They have become natural to me. Like a constant commentary, songs, musings, need to know constantly
and hyper-observant of everything going on around me.
I once tried Prozac and it calmed all those thoughts down, like a shot of novacaine to the brain.
I didn't feel like me! Didn't like it at all.

As far as the nights and sleep, I rarely have problems. I've learned little things that usually shut
it off and get the wonderful world of sleep without dreams,(seldom though), usually my nights are filled
with vivid dreams that can last for hours. It's just like being awake, doing things and yes, thinking!
The thinking goes on even in sleep. Sometimes I wake up tired because it's like I've been doing all night
life things in my dreams, so it's like I didn't get any sleep even though I did.
But, as far as getting to sleep, I am a night owl and stay up usually on-line until I start feeling tired/sleepy.
Then I put on either ambient music or a hypnotic guided imagery disc and focus my mind on it.
Asleep in no time. If I wake up, I hit the 45 min. radio play button, kept at the just right low sound level.

I love those paintings @DissolvedGirl .
Also so very connected with nature. I talk to plants and animals. Have tree frogs as pets in the enclosed
pool area. Feed, pet, talk to them everynight. I should write a blog about the secret life of frogs.
They're amazing. I also have a garden of Butterfly milkweed and help raise Monarch butterflies.
I have a caterpillar cage where I keep and protect the ready to Chrysalis caterpillars.
When the Chrysallis hatches into the butterfly I release it.
Oh, I would love to live on a preserve, too. We have places like that in Florida, but, I have to live where
I can afford. I house share with an elderly man who has a big house with a golf course behind it.
Lots of woods there at least. Look out the back and woods are all I see, thankfully.
And the occasional golfer. Secluded.
Monarch 001.JPG

Most definitely. Every single part. I'm used to it now, I never relax. Last weekend I went to my in laws for a bbq and they were sitting round the table doing nothing in the sun. They said "isn't this lovely". No. Quite frankly no, I was bored rigid. I could be researching on the internet or training up on graphics or story architecture, I can't just sit. Even when I appear to sit and do nothing I'm still thinking or planning or replaying events.

I tend to ruminate and struggle to let go of things until I feel they're addressed in one way or another, they'll just remain stuck in my head.

I used to have this thing where I would relive conversations. During the real conversation I would freeze and not say anything. Then I would go over and over every possible outcome, giving clever answers, witty responses. I would even try to trigger the same conversation so that I could "do it right". But really, this never happens. It's better to try and learn to let go. If you learn to recognise when you get stuck "on loop", then you can put a stop to it, it's rarely healthy or productive. I put a stop to it now with visualizations, I imagine taking the thought out and throwing it away. Over and over.

But ultimately I love that I over think, I look at NTs and they sometimes seem like zombies to me. How can you exist with so little brain activity? At what point can I declare them clinically dead?

This is interesting & a number of interesting responses. Yes my mind keeps going constantly. The point about having conversations on your head is spot on for me. I simulate conversations quite a bit, different responses or scenarios. All the time. I don't have a huge amount of trouble going to sleep. What gets me is waking up in the middle of the night & then my mind is off to the races! I'm very much an analyser too. So I'm constantly analysing things, events, conversations, etc. Finally one thing I constantly do is think in music. Often I wake up in the morning with a song already stuck in my head. Its like a constant earworm that never really goes away...
I feel you, it happens the same to me with songs! And if I'm going to listen to something more than a couple of time, it's guaranteed to get imprinted in my mind for the next few days.

I've read this is a common trait with Asperger's and especially when you have a bit of ADHD with it.
My motto has always been my mind is like a run away computer. But, try to put it into spoken words
is something else.
I'm 60 and have lived my life like this, so I don't think you have to worry your brain is going to fall
apart from these constant thoughts.
They have become natural to me. Like a constant commentary, songs, musings, need to know constantly
and hyper-observant of everything going on around me.
I once tried Prozac and it calmed all those thoughts down, like a shot of novacaine to the brain.
I didn't feel like me! Didn't like it at all.

As far as the nights and sleep, I rarely have problems. I've learned little things that usually shut
it off and get the wonderful world of sleep without dreams,(seldom though), usually my nights are filled
with vivid dreams that can last for hours. It's just like being awake, doing things and yes, thinking!
The thinking goes on even in sleep. Sometimes I wake up tired because it's like I've been doing all night
life things in my dreams, so it's like I didn't get any sleep even though I did.
But, as far as getting to sleep, I am a night owl and stay up usually on-line until I start feeling tired/sleepy.
Then I put on either ambient music or a hypnotic guided imagery disc and focus my mind on it.
Asleep in no time. If I wake up, I hit the 45 min. radio play button, kept at the just right low sound level.

I love those paintings @DissolvedGirl .
Also so very connected with nature. I talk to plants and animals. Have tree frogs as pets in the enclosed
pool area. Feed, pet, talk to them everynight. I should write a blog about the secret life of frogs.
They're amazing. I also have a garden of Butterfly milkweed and help raise Monarch butterflies.
I have a caterpillar cage where I keep and protect the ready to Chrysalis caterpillars.
When the Chrysallis hatches into the butterfly I release it.
Oh, I would love to live on a preserve, too. We have places like that in Florida, but, I have to live where
I can afford. I house share with an elderly man who has a big house with a golf course behind it.
Lots of woods there at least. Look out the back and woods are all I see, thankfully.
And the occasional golfer. Secluded.
View attachment 44944

Oh my, amazing, you should definitely write about the secret life of frogs! <3 And butterflies, how beautiful! Thank you for your comment!

New Threads

Top Bottom