• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Here are some drawings. The bw ones are older. Recently I've been really enjoying experimenting with color and I started a series called alien plants, it's all free flow. Even though I have a visual mind, I can't draw what I visualize, so I just let them come to life naturally.
I also have other kinds of drawings, I just freeflow my way through everything when it comes to art. The less I doubt, the less I think, the less I hesitate, the better and more genuine it will actually be.
Here's the instagram account: www.instagram.com/analog.log

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant work.
SUBNORMALITY!
The comics on this site also has a lot of complexity that I'm sure you can admire as well.

Though sticking to the original topic, I do have an overactive mind. If I come across something that piques my interest, whether it be a topic, a problem, or even an anomaly that doesn't fit a pattern, I'll take it apart and study it for hours on end -- I'll even skip a meal or two if I don't rein it in. I oftentimes do lose sleep when I enter my near-infinite loops, and ambiguous problems are really a huge contributing factor behind my sleeplessness. When I tried pot in my late 20's, it did seem to quiet my mind (the repetitive music, or thoughts about mathematical proofs for example) at first, but it actually just adjusted the setting from spray to stream, which really wasn't a bad thing.

I can also relate to your love of nature, but not so much the metaphysical aspects. I was an organic farmer and an arborist when I was younger, and I do share a special connection with plant life. Though my relationship is more about setting in balance a complex system where I would monitor my soil, map the different types of soils in my area such as sandy loam or diablo series clay soils, monitoring both beneficial and harmful insects, attracting pollinators, and ensuring a healthy amount of biodiversity. Though, the way you feel toward rocks and plants, I feel toward machines, and they express themselves through their native mathematical tongue.

I don't really have an inner voice, so much as an inner child that I'm nurturing. Much of the time, my inner child will be a strong influence on my curiosity to learn new topics. It appears that what you have for Art, I have for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. You have a wonderful gift.

Last edited:
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant work.
SUBNORMALITY!
The comics on this site also has a lot of complexity that I'm sure you can admire as well.

Though sticking to the original topic, I do have an overactive mind. If I come across something that piques my interest, whether it be a topic, a problem, or even an anomaly that doesn't fit a pattern, I'll take it apart and study it for hours on end -- I'll even skip a meal or two if I don't rein it in. I oftentimes do lose sleep when I enter my near-infinite loops, and ambiguous problems are really a huge contributing factor behind my sleeplessness. When I tried pot in my late 20's, it did seem to quiet my mind (the repetitive music, or thoughts about mathematical proofs for example) at first, but it actually just adjusted the setting from spray to stream, which really wasn't a bad thing.

I can also relate to your love of nature, but not so much the metaphysical aspects. I was an organic farmer and an arborist when I was younger, and I do share a special connection with plant life. Though my relationship is more about setting in balance a complex system where I would monitor my soil, map the different types of soils in my area such as sandy loam or diablo series clay soils, monitoring both beneficial and harmful insects, attracting pollinators, and ensuring a healthy amount of biodiversity. Though, the way you feel toward rocks and plants, I feel toward machines, and they express themselves through their native mathematical tongue.

I don't really have an inner voice, so much as an inner child that I'm nurturing. Much of the time, my inner child will be a strong influence on my curiosity to learn new topics. It appears that what you have for Art, I have for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. You have a wonderful gift.
Thank you so much for the feedback! Yes, the inner child is behind the steering wheel! Amazing that you got to do organic farming!! It's so useful to know these things.
Thanks for sharing the comic!

Having an overactive mind is not good, when it comes to things like getting abnormal blood test results.

Hello!

I've just recently realized that I'm probably a high-functioning aspie. At least, this would explain so many things in my life that didn't make sense until now.

I've always had a very overactive mind. Meaning, it just goes on all the time, it spreads in all directions but it also has its fair share of repetitive loops.

I can feel this inner agitation especially at night, when I try to sleep. I've been having sleep issues my entire life and eventually I just accepted the fact that I usually can't just fall asleep because I won't be able to turn off my mind and it will keep going.

The contents of the thoughts are very varied. From all sorts of anxieties (about the present, past but especially future) to songs or pieces of songs stuck inside my head, bits and pieces of conversations I recently had or things I recently went through, noises, unfinished words, all sorts of voices and incessant chatter, sometimes I don't even understand what's going on there.

There will be lots of repetitive thoughts, sometimes intrusive, I tend to ruminate and struggle to let go of things until I feel they're addressed in one way or another, they'll just remain stuck in my head. I also tend to overthink things and worry a lot, I'm actively working on censoring my negative thoughts so they won't take over, I developed all sorts of intuitive techniques before knowing I'm an aspie.

Then there's the creative parts. I will sometimes visualize entire funny skits, or unwillingly compose songs, or my brain will start to write something new. In my head. I almost never get the chance to copy the ideas so I just sit there, enjoying the ephemeral nature of it all.

At night, when I'm especially tired or stoned, I also get more psychedelic experiences of inner voices guiding me and telling me all sorts of revelations (that I usually forget until the next day) or feeling like I'm a broken radiohead catching other people's thoughts and different other frequencies.

I'm also very connected to the inner voice, which guides me often. I can also have amazing experiences connecting to plants or rocks, I speak to them out loud and I can sometimes feel their answers (please don't judge, I have a deep and special relationship with nature and I think plants and rocks have a conscience).

So is this an Aspie trait/symptom? Or is it just more intense for us? Honestly, it's a very exhausting experience, sometimes I feel like my mind is this giant beast on a leash and it always runs ahead of me and I'm getting dragged face up somewhere behind. It comes as a blessing and as a curse at the same time, but sometimes I wish I could just make.it.stop.thinking. Sometimes a small part of me just wants to die cause it doesn't feel it will be able to keep up with this my whole life, too tired already and I'm not even 30 years old yet.

If I wouldn't be making art and wouldn't be spending time in the woods and in peace and quiet I think I'd fall apart.

I totally get what you mean. I tell people it feels like my mind is moving faster then most people. It can be so overwhelming. I have meltdowns because of it sometimes. Especially since my thoughts influence my emotions. I found writing every single thought I have down can be helpful, as well as meditation. Though I find some days are worst than others, especially if most my thoughts are negative. I was actually going to make a post like this but I wasn't sure if it was an aspie thing or not. Thank you for sharing!

Constantly thinking. It never stops. Just like you said, the past, present, future, triumphs, failures, family, health, work, pets, housework, dinner, situations that will never happen, why do I think so much etc. I also have fake conversations in my head. What I should have said, what I will say, conversations that will never happen. It’s utterly exhausting, and if someone interrupts my thoughts I can get really irritable. Sometimes I waste hours just thinking.

My psych has told me to practice mindfulness to help me sleep, but I can’t do this unless I have some other kind of stimulation to focus on. So it doesn’t really work in a dark, quiet room. I’ve tried listening to my husband’s breathing, but it’s not stimulating enough to distract me from my thoughts.

Constantly thinking. It never stops. Just like you said, the past, present, future, triumphs, failures, family, health, work, pets, housework, dinner, situations that will never happen, why do I think so much etc. I also have fake conversations in my head. What I should have said, what I will say, conversations that will never happen. It’s utterly exhausting, and if someone interrupts my thoughts I can get really irritable. Sometimes I waste hours just thinking.

My psych has told me to practice mindfulness to help me sleep, but I can’t do this unless I have some other kind of stimulation to focus on. So it doesn’t really work in a dark, quiet room. I’ve tried listening to my husband’s breathing, but it’s not stimulating enough to distract me from my thoughts.
Try just observing your own breathing.
Every breath that you take is different from every other one, and yet, in a way, every breath is the same.
Explore this difference, and resist the urge to comment upon it, internally or otherwise.
It takes practice, but it is well worth the effort.
THIS is mindfulness meditation.
You can do it, IF you practice, and the benefits are myriad.

Yes!! Sounds just like me, with all the potential/could've/should've conversations. I usually manage to chill a bit more when I focus on my own breathing, just the act of breathing, in and out, but eventually I'll find myself thinking thoughts again and have to re-focus.

This has been very helpful with my insomnia, but sometimes, if I'm really agitated, this will be difficult as well. And coupled with sinus issues, a stuffy nose means more struggle to fall asleep!

Yes!! Sounds just like me, with all the potential/could've/should've conversations. I usually manage to chill a bit more when I focus on my own breathing, just the act of breathing, in and out, but eventually I'll find myself thinking thoughts again and have to re-focus.

APPS. Get loads of apps. They can provide direction, you find one that works, with a voice that isn't too irritating.
It's about being present yet more distant.

Like the man says, habit.

Thinking through it is fine. It's all part of it.
That's the habit building part.
When you become aware, simply return to the act.

So e of the apps I found were I to visualisation.
Didn't work for me.
The breathing ones work better for me.
Loads of free ones.
Headspace is a good one to try, 10 free tries.
After that, I moved onto other ones. All free.

I've also got my own one, that fits to my personality.

You can train yourself to do this reliably.
Begin counting your breaths.
Count until you experience a thought, or internal dialogue, or realize that your thoughts have run away with you.
When this happens, relax, take a few breaths, clear your mind. Begin just "experiencing" your breaths again, and start at "one" again.
As you practice, you will find that the interval grows, and you can count higher and higher without intrusive thoughts.
(When I first started, it took me three weeks to make three full breaths)
You will find that you are carrying some of that equanimity into your external life, as well.
With time, and practice, you will reach the point where you no longer need to count (mine was around 40ish).
I really like the "...For Dummies" series,
and "Meditation For Dummies"© was a fun and fascinating read, and details mindfulness meditation, and many others.
I recommend it.

I don't know if it is an aspie thing, but I'm an aspie, and I know that my mind is definitely overactive. It is always thinking about something, even random things, and it never quiets down. It is quite annoying, because if I want some peace and quiet, I might not get it if my mind is buzzing on about something.

New Threads

Top Bottom