• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Old-fashioned Advertisements

Speaking of naive, I have to believe some of these post contain parodies?? I mean they can't seriously have suggested you go run things over in your new car? (Or your old one) I mean I did fall for those league of gentlemen parodies, so the parody region of my brain is a bit underdeveloped it seems.

Speaking of naive, I have to believe some of these post contain parodies?? I mean they can't seriously have suggested you go run things over in your new car? (Or your old one) I mean I did fall for those league of gentlemen parodies, so the parody region of my brain is a bit underdeveloped it seems.

I think the Dodge ad is real, they had really really good suspension. And a terrible advertising department. I think they just tried to point out that you wouldn't feel anything on bumpy roads but it came out a little wrong.

So you don't agree that women are best kept naked at a mans feet? ;) That's a special ad, someone made that.
You know, I have a vague memory of seeing this and as a kid. The weird bit is it looks a little before my time. The only thing I can think is, one of my uncles worked pasting up billboard posters. He always had some displayed in his room as art I guess. It's entirely possible he had this and and in remembering it from there.

I thought it was a different kind of sexist where she was just enamored by shoes! I am so naïve sometimes.
Well, culture and mentalities change - sometimes for the worst, but most times for the better, and thankfully stuff like that is definitely not tolerated now (at least in most of the mainstream).

For example, I remember hearing about an advert that had to be pulled down - it been for a gas/electricity supplier if I remember rightly - because it showed a family of redheads with a tagline along the lines of "There are some things we can't change", which got a lot of angry comments.
This is understandable as Redheads - both in the present day and historically - have had to deal with a lot of negative stuff regarding their hair colour, and as a redhead myself I've had a lot of abuse over it.

Likewise, I'm reminded of this PSA - where this lady has a pretty good moment in regards to dealing with sexual harrassment towards her at work:

EDIT:
The offensive redhead advert was Npower:
npower.jpg

Last edited:
I think the Dodge ad is real, they had really really good suspension. And a terrible advertising department. I think they just tried to point out that you wouldn't feel anything on bumpy roads but it came out a little wrong.
So they had an entirely ND PR department? I can get on board with that. But they had better leave my cat alone! :smilecat:

Edit CAT, I MEANT CAT, MY PHONE KEEPS CHANGING CAT TO CAR! GRRRR!

One from 1987, with a fast-talking man talking about a toy car line which sadly no longer exists:

No longer exist? Now what are kids supposed to choke on? :smilecat:

Seriously though, I used to want micro machines so bad when I was a kid but I never got any, though, I did play the video game and it was quite fun :)

No longer exist? Now what are kids supposed to choke on? :smilecat:

Seriously though, I used to want micro machines so bad when I was a kid but I never got any, though, I did play the video game and it was quite fun :)

Never played the games and there has been attempts at revivals (the last one in 2020), but I also wanted Micro Machines as a kid. Never got any, but I got Hot Wheels - which were fun in their own way.

Interestingly, the guy in those Micro Machine videos was also in the FedEx commercials:

this 1972 advert for men’s shoes advises buyers to keep a woman where she belongs - naked at a man’s feet.
I could have looked at that advert forever and never figured out what it was supposed to be, thank you.

I thought that was a woman's shoe. And if there's a naked lady in my house then at my feet is not where I want her. :)

There are a LOT of these, and much bigger compilations out there, and videos that are just about them. This is just the compilation that happens to be in my favorites list.

What gets me about this is how effective they are. I could not tell you what the most recent commercials I saw were about... even ones I saw earlier today while in the room with the TV. Or any other ad, really. In one ear, out the other, doesnt even stop to take pictures.

But this old brand of coffee? I dont even drink coffee but I definitely wont forget it. And each of these ads are just like, 10 seconds long, if that.

Modern advertisers could do with learning from these.

There are a LOT of these, and much bigger compilations out there, and videos that are just about them. This is just the compilation that happens to be in my favorites list.

What gets me about this is how effective they are. I could not tell you what the most recent commercials I saw were about... even ones I saw earlier today while in the room with the TV. Or any other ad, really. In one ear, out the other, doesnt even stop to take pictures.

But this old brand of coffee? I dont even drink coffee but I definitely wont forget it. And each of these ads are just like, 10 seconds long, if that.

Modern advertisers could do with learning from these.

What makes me smile about the Wilkins Coffee adverts is that they were made by Jim Henson - the creator of the Muppets and who is stated to have had (or believed to have had) Asperger Syndrome.
Jim himself said this about how Wilkins was advertised:

"Till then, advertising agencies believed that the hard sell was the only way to get their message over on television. We took a very different approach. We tried to sell things by making people laugh." - Jim Henson on his Wilkens Coffee commercials.

What makes me smile about the Wilkins Coffee adverts is that they were made by Jim Henson - the creator of the Muppets and who is stated to have had (or believed to have had) Asperger Syndrome.
Jim himself said this about how Wilkins was advertised:

"Till then, advertising agencies believed that the hard sell was the only way to get their message over on television. We took a very different approach. We tried to sell things by making people laugh." - Jim Henson on his Wilkens Coffee commercials.
And they appear to use the same voice actor as they did for Kermit the Frog!

He’s a hero and a legend.
Indeed! The cookie monster is still my favourite! I hope I meet him one day. Apparently they do photoshoots when they go to different places to promote things and people have met the cookie monster :) I want to give him a big hug like that girl did unexpectedly on that Sesame Street video.

Apparently an early version of the cookie monster featured in some commercials but he had big pointy teeth!

New Threads

Top Bottom