• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Oh! It's a *Spectrum*!

Nervous Rex

High-functioning autistic
V.I.P Member
I just realized that the rainbow-colored logo for this site is a spectrum.

That's all I have to say. It just dawned on me.

True enough, not all of us comprehend metaphors, axioms or sarcasm the same way.

Makes me wonder about Walmart's latest commercial where they show a delivery person ringing a doorbell so the customer steps out to receive their purchased items. All to the annoying sound of the song "Ring My Bell".

What is confusing is whether this is more a manifestation of sarcasm which can confuse me.

Is it actually Walmart's intent to mock their primary competitor Amazon, who apparently is dealing with some controversy over their policy in having access to a customer's home just to deliver their products.

Or am I just looking too much into a tv commercial using an annoying jingle ? o_O

Is this site Autism Forums or Aspies Central?

IMO, both. Though I can see some effort needed to be put forth a message that this community is for all on the spectrum of autism and all who want to learn about it.

Though perhaps for those diagnosed under protocols like the DSM-IV or ICD-10 it may still seem confusing in the absence of the spectrum itself.

True enough, not all of us comprehend metaphors, axioms or sarcasm the same way.

Makes me wonder about Walmart's latest commercial where they show a delivery person ringing a doorbell so the customer steps out to receive their purchased items. All to the annoying sound of the song "Ring My Bell".

What is confusing is whether this is more a manifestation of sarcasm which can confuse me.

Is it actually Walmart's intent to mock their primary competitor Amazon, who apparently is dealing with some controversy over their policy in having access to a customer's home just to deliver their products.

Or am I just looking too much into a tv commercial using an annoying jingle ? o_O

No, I think that you are right.

No, I think that you are right.

Thanks. It also might be compromising for Walmart if SNL were to recreate that commercial for their brand of political satire. However instead of a happy customer answering the door, no one answers. So the delivery person drives away leaving the package on the porch. Then an unrelated person drives up, sees the package and steals it. Even funnier if they steal "the bell" too. :p

LOL. Except in reality this is a real problem. Certainly in residential neighborhoods in my town. Where some people appear to be making a career from stealing your Amazon or QVC orders. :eek:

I may not pick up on sarcasm easily, but aside from that it seems that this sort of advertising isn't in their best interest. I'd think this sort of thing could result in Walmart getting a black eye. But then it wouldn't be the first time Madison Avenue has bewildered me with metaphors, sarcasm or idioms. o_O

Last edited:
HAHAHA! your posts are always awesome, but this one takes the cake! (Not literally taking a cake, mind you)

HAHAHA! your posts are always awesome, but this one takes the cake! (Not literally taking a cake, mind you)
*Jumping on the joke bandwagon*
Did this post take the cake because the cake was left at the door & no one answered?

But also, yeah, it took me longer than I care to admit to realize the circle to the upper left was, in fact, a spectrum...

No, you're not. I've seen a few times where the main lyric of a song sounds good in an ad, but if you were to listen to the whole song, you'd think the advertisers were completely tasteless to pick that song. It drives me up the wall when they do that.

I like the idea that all us Aspies/Autistics are on a spectrum as I think that represents our different intellectual level.

New Threads

Top Bottom