• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Odd anime related obsessions

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
My mental health has been declining a lot lately and it’s bringing up these odd anime related obsessions that will plague my thought space throughout the day.

I have quite a few anime figures and would have more if my finances weren’t low and had more space to keep stuff. However, my cat and a kitten have chewed on some of my figures‘ parts and I can’t easily replace these figures since they were made in Japan but are now discontinued so getting them on the aftermarket is very cost restrictive and the fact there are counterfeit figures being sold online as the genuine ones is very discouraging. It’s actually my fault I let this happen since I wouldn’t keep them out of the reach of my cats and I feel like an idiot for letting it happen because I should’ve known that cats like to chew on things.

I also have a CD soundtrack of the FLCL anime but it’s missing its OBI strip (Obi (publishing) - Wikipedia) and I can’t remember if I misplaced it badly or intentionally threw it away. I feel like an idiot for this, too.

Am I alone in this or have others here experienced similar things?

I dont think it's particularly uncommon for those on the spectrum to have constant/recurring thoughts about some particular subject or specific thing. We tend to latch onto specific things, either for specific reasons or just seemingly at random, and then we get *really* obsessed.

But also, people into "geek" stuff tend to have alot of, well, geek stuff. Figures or plushies or posters or big DVD collections of their favorite shows. I've known quite a few geeks over the years, and every single one of them had their rooms just stuffed with these sorts of things (I have lots too). I myself tend to get super obsessive over specific characters; I'll have tons of figures of said character and whatever else I can find. It's also one of the reasons why I'm into cosplay.

There's nothing wrong with any of this stuff, really, and dont let anyone else tell you otherwise. And again, it's actually fairly common. Even among NTs. You could say it's part of the hobby, perhaps.

I guarantee you, however obsessed you feel like you are right now, there's others in the geek community (lots of others) who are waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more obsessed.

I don’t really feel ashamed of the hobbies I have. I just wish my figures didn’t get damaged by cats when it could’ve been avoided and carelessly lose the obi strip to my CD.

Eh, think of it as a learning experience.

You could always later try setting up a display case/shelf. You know, with a glass door or whatever in front, so cats cant get in. Alot of collectors do that for exactly this sort of reason, particularly when they have pets of any sort. It probably also keeps dust out.

I think ruminating on issues is fairly typical of autism and finding it hard to let go of an issue. I try to see it as something I can't change but have learned from. Also in this instance I would be glad that the cat and kitten had enjoyed their chewing, my loss was their gain! A silver lining...

I think ruminating on issues is fairly typical of autism and finding it hard to let go of an issue. I try to see it as something I can't change but have learned from. Also in this instance I would be glad that the cat and kitten had enjoyed their chewing, my loss was their gain! A silver lining...

Might be less of a silver lining when the price of the things is considered.

It's not uncommon for them to go for like $150 or so (depends on size and detail, usually). And that's when buying them at conventions.... it gets pricier if you have to order and pay for shipping.

I don’t have enough space for a glass cabinet or more since I still live with my mother and my room as well as my closet has just about reached their limits.

The figures they chewed on were Mecha figures from the Robot Damashii and Soul of Chogokin toy lines. Figures from both lines are not cheap on the after market.

I have questions for you Anime fans. I have recently discovered it and enjoy it a lot. I guess the reason is in that which I've watched, a constant message appears to be the acceptance of those with quirks and difficulties. But, of course there is the Otaku subculture. Is there any relationship between being on the spectrum and Otaku?

I have questions for you Anime fans. I have recently discovered it and enjoy it a lot. I guess the reason is in that which I've watched, a constant message appears to be the acceptance of those with quirks and difficulties. But, of course there is the Otaku subculture. Is there any relationship between being on the spectrum and Otaku?

No, not really.

The word just means "someone who is into anime" for the most part.

Dont take too much from it. Or similar terms.

New Threads

Top Bottom