• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

OCD gray matter on PC......

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
Not sure really what l experience but l will over-analyze like l have OCD as a cognitive switch to think it (subject) beyond what it was originally. It was worse when l was younger.

Also l have to constantly see every connection, every pattern, l have to know how the bigger picture comes together. Luckily this has dimished somewhat with age.

It never dawned on me that this could be a issue. Also l really want to break everything down to mathematical odds, like a bookie. I need to know the odds of something going either way.

Descartes is famous for his quote : l think therefore l am.

Hey, what are you blessed or cursed with in thinking patterns that you deny but it's all there everyday of your existence?

Last edited:
Yeah, I over-analyze as well. Constantly.

The good thing is, it actually works really well with my hobbies. In the sorts of video games I play, and in pretty much every board game, the over-analysis works to my advantage. In gaming terms, it's usually referred to as min-maxing. Trying to use every little variable to your advantage, increasing important stats/traits/whatever as much as possible and not missing anything.

Downside: it means I do things veeeerrrryyyyyyy ssssllllooooowwwwwllllyyyy. A particular board game, Mage Knight, it's not uncommon for me to have a single turn last a ridiculous 20 minutes. That game is already notorious for causing "analysis paralysis", and combined with my obsessive need to find every conceivable possibility, well.... yeah. It's a good thing I play these solo, because other players wouldnt put up with me doing that.

Outside of gaming, this also means I can get mentally "stuck" on something. It takes ages for me to make decisions because I must decode every conceivable outcome, and then further decode where those outcomes will then go, and.... yeah.

On a side note the topic title confused me. "gray matter on PC", in my mind what I saw was a PC tower covered in gory brain chunks. Fortunately, that proved to be incorrect.

I had the same mental image of brains spattered on a PC. Wondering what the thread could be about...cleaning it off?

I like seeing the bigger picture/ likely outcome
and then breaking it down to examine each 'part';
understanding how it works by itself - if indeed it does,
then how it fits or changes to fit with all other parts to create the overall 'thing'

Going forward then backward (to explore)
then forward again in my thinking.
- if I'm interested enough.

I can spend much time down 'rabbit holes' due to the above.
Perpetual curiosity.

I'm capable of thinking myself dizzy with some repetitive thought loops too.
Until I halt or interrupt them.
(this is a new-ish thing I've been practising)

I can appreciate details, the finest of detail but can sometimes get bogged down and stuck in a rut in pursuit of noticing all.

PC like a rave drug, but my title my be changed after this confession by those who must be obeyed because of sponsors. Okay, l am guilty of clickbait! l totally admitted it. But l am laughing about the mental image of stuff on pc tower.

I like seeing the bigger picture/ likely outcome
and then breaking it down to examine each 'part';
understanding how it works by itself - if indeed it does,
then how it fits or changes to fit with all other parts to create the overall 'thing'

Going forward then backward (to explore)
then forward again in my thinking.
- if I'm interested enough.

I can spend much time down 'rabbit holes' due to the above.
Perpetual curiosity.

I'm capable of thinking myself dizzy with some repetitive thought loops too.
Until I halt or interrupt them.
(this is a new-ish thing I've been practising)

I can appreciate details, the finest of detail but can sometimes get bogged down and stuck in a rut in pursuit of noticing all.

That's interesting how you are practicing this. Did you at some point realise that other people may not embrace OCD thinking exactly like us? Or are you like me and feel everybody has to overthink things, they are just to embarrassed to admit it?

What exactly is "OCD gray matter on PC"? There couldn't be a more confusing title than that. If your gray matter is on a PC, then you might want to see a doctor about that...if you can even still see at that point. :eek:

OK, so to the topic (I think)...I don't overthink as much as I used to in the past due to all the discomfort it causes. Easy trap to fall into though, my imagination running wild over a lot of nothing.

Last edited:
Overthinking is good. It means you’re analytical and deliberate. There’s no over about it. Most people think too little.

@Kalinychta I agree most people think too little.
I can never overthink, I think.
Forever curious and always hungry for knowledge.
I'm always reading, watching youtube, researching various things I find interesting.
Using the PC for a lot of this. Maybe that's what gray matter all over the PC means?

Keeping the active inquisitions emotionally unattached and logical.
The analytical mind finds answers and learns. I don't go through life just skimming the surface
with the trivial as many do.
Maybe they are happy being superficial. Wouldn't deny them that.
But, inquiring minds want to know!

Not sure really what l experience but l will over-analyze like l have OCD as a cognitive switch to think it (subject) beyond what it was originally. It was worse when l was younger.

Also l have to constantly see every connection, every pattern, l have to know how the bigger picture comes together. Luckily this has dimished somewhat with age.

It never dawned on me that this could be a issue. Also l really want to break everything down to mathematical odds, like a bookie. I need to know the odds of something going either way.

Descartes is famous for his quote : l think therefore l am.

Hey, what are you blessed or cursed with in thinking patterns that you deny but it's all there everyday of your existence?
cant deny it !it doesnt allow it ,if anybody can !start not ignoring now !!!!panic disorder is very very very hard to exist with, dont !pretend you can cope with any !level of pain

I'm always reading, watching youtube, researching various things I find interesting.
Using the PC for a lot of this. Maybe that's what gray matter all over the PC means?

The analytical mind finds answers and learns. I don't go through life just skimming the surface

Exactly. Well said. And we’d be bored without our ravenous minds!

What exactly is "OCD gray matter on PC"? There couldn't be a more confusing title than that. If your gray matter is on a PC, then you might want to see a doctor about that...if you can even still see at that point. :eek:

OK, so to the topic (I think)...I don't overthink as much as I used to in the past due to all the discomfort it causes. Easy trap to fall into though, my imagination running wild over a lot of nothing.

The topic title is considered clickbaiting, something that made you stop and scratch your head and say what the muck?

The topic is open-ended question to see how similar spectrum peers deal with the task of thought process? And are people driven by their thought process? And how many on the spectrum (% of us) are driven in this way. I have read that you get better results if your questions are open not closed and locked down encouraging more people to interpret it in their way and adding their ideas to the mix facilitating brainstorming.

The topic title is considered clickbaiting, something that made you stop and scratch your head and say what the muck?

The topic is open-ended question to see how similar spectrum peers deal with the task of thought process? And are people driven by their thought process? And how many on the spectrum (% of us) are driven in this way. I have read that you get better results if your questions are open not closed and locked down encouraging more people to interpret it in their way and adding their ideas to the mix facilitating brainstorming.
clickbait has a special place in hell

brain.jpg

But sometimes my brain is too wigged out to come up with a carefully crafted word genius content title, hence gray matter on pc.

So you're saying you didn't think the topic was one that
people would be interested in unless there was a perky
and mysterious title?

I so wish l had the time to super delve into subject matter but my time is taken up with mundane tasks, and l just recently got through counselling someone that had a 20 year tumor growing on their vital organs and l am no longer fearful they will take their life.

That's interesting how you are practicing this. Did you at some point realise that other people may not embrace OCD thinking exactly like us? Or are you like me and feel everybody has to overthink things, they are just to embarrassed to admit it?

I believe there are levels of 'over thinking'
One can be analytical and still function day to day.

It's when the thinking styles, patterns and habits become intense, irrational and intrusive.
I believe this is when many people experiencing OCD get stuck.
Lose the ability to function in those day to day chores and tasks.
Fears and worries can be amplified and woven into the original thought process.

I also believe a person experiencing OCD can rationalise the irrational
(to an extent) :)

When everything is humming along like it should, I take an if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it stance. If there is a significant aberration to my expectations, I initiate micro-analysis just as the OP described. But that is too much work, if there is no indication of a problem. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom