• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsession with death. Having Suicidal thoughts when I'm not depressed.

I think about suicide 24/7. Talking about suicidal thoughts with only some people and talking about and watching YouTube videos about suicide.

(I'm NOT Depressed)!! I just think about death a lot and fantasize about being dead and death in other people. Like I thought about Sinead O'Connor's death for a long time and still do.

Is this a common obsession or special interest to have?.

(Diagnosis Asperger's with anxiety and pseudo hallucinations.)

Not thoughts that ever normally enter my mind. I have died once, an allergic reaction to a local anaesthetic. It was the best sleep I ever had in my life but I have no desire to repeat it.

That's not an easy question to answer, frankly. For a start, it's not clear what you actually feel about death, and suicide. You suggest it's an constant obsession, it would see unlikely to be literal, but do you really have no other interests at all? That's just an open question, no criticism or judgement.
Also, you don't really say whether you actually feel suicidal, or just maybe fascinated with the idea of it. The difference could be very significant.
As for whether it's common, I doubt that's a question many if any could objectively answer, as for whether it's discussed much here, I've very new myself so couldn't say, but I'd guess a little searching of the site would reveal that better than I could.
I can't get a feel for what you're really asking, can you say in more detail?

I think it's something people are very occupied with only if they haven't seen or experienced it.
This was also my initial first thought. I was brought up a country boy and I'm quite used to killing things to eat, I have also lost quite a few friends and relatives over the years. Death is a part of life but it is also something most people avoid thinking about.

Is this a common obsession or special interest to have?.
Not a special interest.
It was a means of desensitising myself to the inevitable.
It worked well, and I enjoy laughing at death in the face. :laughing:

I was suicidal for ten years in my twenties.
I have never been depressed since.
"Me strong like bull, now." :cool:

Attachments

• Strong like bull.jpg
    Strong like bull.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 32
Not thoughts that ever normally enter my mind. I have died once, an allergic reaction to a local anaesthetic. It was the best sleep I ever had in my life but I have no desire to repeat it.
You went to my eventual heaven.
"The long sleep." :hearteyes:

But I challenge the definition of "dying".
In my mind, it doesn't mean your heart stops.
To me, death happens when the brain is dead.

BTW, zombies are verboten on this website...
...unless you are an AUTISTIC zombie. :cool: jk

@The Autistic girl
Are you concerned you may act on these thoughts and feelings?

Have you ever discussed them with a mental health care professional?

It could be more related to intrusive thoughts than a special interest.

The way that we spend our time also strengthens our thoughts. So if you are already prone to thinking about suicide and then feed these thoughts with YouTube content and discussions about suicide, it would make sense that these thoughts are persistent and grow.

What do you mean by "Intrusive Thoughts"?
Where do you think they come from?

Where do you think they come from?
Anxiety.

Intrusive thoughts are thoughts, images or urges that are unwanted but pop into your mind anyway. They find a way of disrupting your original thought patterns and can come out of nowhere or they can be cued by external stimuli (like in response to a situation or event) or internal stimuli (like anxiety, depression or other feelings). Intrusive thoughts are often violent, disturbing or unnerving in nature.

It could be more related to intrusive thoughts than a special interest.

The way that we spend our time also strengthens our thoughts. So if you are already prone to thinking about suicide and then feed these thoughts with YouTube content and discussions about suicide, it would make sense that these thoughts are persistent and grow.
I think this is some very good advice. Humans are super smart, so it can seem counter-intuitive that we can fall prey to simple traps like this, but we certainly can. By consuming content on a regular basis you can quite easily strengthen tendencies to think on a subject, yet it can still feel quite organic. It might well be worth having a chat with someone to see if they can help you chart a path out of a self-reinforcing habit.

Instead of suicide, maybe what your brain is saying, is that you need risk.

Perhaps take up something risky and physically taxing, like skydiving, rock climbing, skateboarding, skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, bungee jumping, etc?

Maybe a high stakes, sorta dangerous job like welding, heavy machinery, driving, cooking, etc?

Perhaps what you need is adventure and risk.

Often, the best cure for mental health issues is the good ache of hard work. Especially if it's fun.

Intrusive thoughts can also be caused by electronic harassment.
This is difficult for most ppl to accept since it is classified technology that is denied by the establishment.
As Morpheus would say, you have to experience it. ;)

I am being serious here.
If you find the concept threatening, we can simply agree to disagree. ;)
Electronic harassment a load of technophobic, tin-foil hat wearing nonsense. People have suffered from intrusive thoughts long before before electronics became an everyday part of life.

People are even claiming it's why they committed mass shootings. What a crock. Why do people love to believe in stuff that sounds so cartoonishly evil it could only happen in fiction, but not things that have been scientifically proven to be true?

Electronic harassment a load of technophobic, tin-foil hat wearing nonsense. People have suffered from intrusive thoughts long before before electronics became an everyday part of life.
You are entitled to your opinion...
But you are ignoring the permutations here.
Electronic harassment can also cause intrusive thoughts. ;)

If you blindly believe what the establishment says, that is your choice.
Experience has taught me that it is not a wise thing to do. :cool:

People are even claiming it's why they committed mass shootings. What a crock. Why do people love to believe in stuff that sounds so cartoonishly evil it could only happen in fiction, but not things that have been scientifically proven to be true?
Once again, you are entitled to your opinion.
But why such vitriol?

“There Are More Things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are Dreamt of in Your Philosophy”​

I maintain a sceptical mindset, especially when the "ruling class" are involved. :cool:

Perhaps take up something risky and physically taxing, like skydiving, rock climbing, skateboarding, skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, bungee jumping, etc?
Perhaps not the best activity to pursue, under the circumstances. ;)

The other night I learned about passive suicidal ideation, which is when you aren't trying to kill yourself, but you wish you could just die in your sleep or be hit by a car or something. It's basically a coping mechanism due to depression due to living in this crapsack world.

New Threads

Top Bottom