• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obliviousness to Holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentHnau

Exploding Radical
I didn't remember that yesterday was Halloween until I saw an orange and black display with a bat (can't remember if it was in a store or on a website) in the afternoon. Holidays always catch me by surprise; I never remember when they are coming.

I don't even know which days some of them are on. Halloween is easy to remember because it occurs on the last day of the month. I think Thanksgiving is on November 26. Easter? It's in February, right? Or April?

Valentines' is February 14th, St. Patrick's Day is often March 17th, Easter can't make up its bloody little mind and is anywhere from March to May and is supposed to be the first Sunday after the equinox or first full moon after the equinox or some messed up rule like that, Mother's Day is sometime in May, Father's Day is sometime in June, Halloween is October 31st promptly followed the next day on November 1st by All Saint's Day with the Mexican Day of the Dead spilling over both, Thanksgiving is always on the fourth Thursday of November (27th this year), Christmas is on December 25th which no commercial lets you forget. Most New Year's are on December 31st and Chinese New Year is anywhere from January to February depending on how it falls that year. And season changes are typically March 20th, June 21st, September 22nd, and December 20th. Or was the one year I paid close attention.

One of my lesser obsessions. Used to have all the zodiacs memorized too.

Thanks, was wondering when Easter was myself. I have another essay to do around then so that's miles away. Phew!

Oh yeah, if you own a paper diary it tells you all the dates there in the first few pages. Just sayin :)

No concept of holidays or birthdays, which was unfortunate as my ex had her birthday on Valentines Day and when she asked me why it was special all I could think of was 'massacre'.

I probably would forget holidays and birthdays if it wasn't for my wife. It's just one of the many ways she keeps me in the loop. We have five kids and thirteen grandkids, so there is no way I would remember all of the birthdays. Every year she reminds me when my birthday is coming up. However, I do remember her birthday. I'm absent minded, not stupid.

I personally forget holidays because I have nobody to share them with. If a special person to me is having a birthday, you can bet up to 3 months in advance I'm thinking "three months until ___'s birthday!" "two months!" "twelve days!" "I should get them something this year.. I wonder if they'd be okay with that," etc etc. I also think about them on holidays occasionally, simply because I wish I was spending it with them, but it's okay. I never really do anything for them otherwise than just chill honestly. If I'm not spending them with people I love, then there's no point to me, honestly. Which results in me not remembering a lot of them either.

I used to be phenomenal at remembering birthdays and holidays when I was young. I always sent cards to acknowledge the occasions. I did it as a way to make people feel special, not because I really cared about the occasion itself. I couldn't give a rat's hind quarters about birthdays, anniversaries and holidays, and that includes my own birthday and anniversaries. I know it's important to others, but now I've got too many other things to keep track of. I can't be bothered to remember all those dates. I'm too busy trying to remember the due dates of my bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom