• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not "serious" enough?

Neat Hedgehog

V.I.P Member
Anyone else ever have the issue of people assuming you're not "serious" or telling you to "be serious / take things seriously?"

Every now and then, I get told that "I don't take anything seriously." Typically, this is coming from someone who doesn't know me very well, or hasn't been paying attention to me. It is true that I can find something funny about pretty much anything, even while it's happening and the situation is absolutely horrible. I will generally say it, too, when it pops into my head, and sometimes I guess it is interpreted the wrong way.

This doesn't mean I'm not taking the situation seriously, though. I'm perfectly capable of recognizing the ramifications of a situation, but I fail to see why that means I have to be down in the mouth about it all the time. It's like... have you ever seen a "serious" movie, and just come away completely unphased because it was so unfathomably grim that it wasn't realistic? Things are not constantly morbid and serious; I can bet that even on your absolute worst day, something funny happened. Maybe not to you, but something around you was probably utterly hilarious, whether you noticed or not. To me, that's why it's ridiculous to actually try to be "serious" all the time.

Maybe what confuses people is that I will say serious things that I mean entirely, but I will still laugh or make a joke about it afterward. I don't know how else to say it, but yeah, practically everything is pretty funny. "I'm two weeks behind on my rent, my bank account is overdrawn, and work still hasn't scheduled me for any hours for the next two weeks? Maybe I can just get everyone I owe together in a room, throw some money in the middle, and they'll fight to the death over it." (Although I'm glad to say with my new job that situation no longer arises, hehe)

But things like that I can't understand how you can take it seriously. It'd drive you nuts because there's little or nothing you can do about it. Besides, it's all based on artificial constructs like monetary systems which are about as "real" as the tail-end of a mobius strip. How are you supposed to take that seriously? Modern life is, largely, a big joke as far as I can tell.

Generally, I don't even fit people's expectations of "seriousness" when I'm angry. If I am actually dead, flat serious, then something has managed to somehow push me so far beyond "anger" that all traces of emotion are lost and I expect the atmosphere to catch fire simply through my force of will. People have pushed me that far in the last few years, and it's a little creepy. It's like, you can tell what you're doing is wrong, dangerous, or mean, but you just can't care because you know it will create the best outcome, so you do it anyway. That sort of cold, impersonal logic is what I think of when I think of "being serious."

Apparently this isn't what other people think of, though. They seem to think it means some kind of crummy little dance where you have to say the exact right words to make them think you actually acknowledge and understand what is going on, otherwise you fail because "you're not being serious." Which, as a form of social interaction, is pretty ridiculous in itself.

That person probably wants you to be as miserable as they are. There are so many bad things in this world, if we took everything seriously we would be permanently depressed.

It really depends on the context of the situation. One thing I can definitely say is that if there are extenuating circumstances, you can't expect another person to accept a joke in that kind of situation. Aspie or not involved on either end, it's just not appropriate in our society, and your true intentions are not obvious and would 99.99999% not be readable in that kind of situation no matter how good your joke actually is. It just goes to show that sometimes, you want to do your best in certain situations to think before you speak as much as possible.

It just goes to show that sometimes, you want to do your best in certain situations to think before you speak as much as possible.
I don't really think there is a time when I don't think before I speak; that just happens to be what I think of.

it's just not appropriate in our society
Obviously not, but is there any particular, identifiable reason? Just saying "because that's how it is" may be accurate, but it falls rather short of an actual explanation or even a useful answer. Is it inappropriate because people are too emotionally involved in day-to-day situations and unable to view them externally?

and your true intentions are not obvious and would 99.99999% not be readable in that kind of situation no matter how good your joke actually is.
I don't... quite get what you mean. I don't really have any underlying "true intentions" if I comment on something in a humorous fashion. A joke is a joke, plain and simple. If I have something "serious" to say about a situation, I'll just say it and move on.

What annoys me with this kind of thing is the arrogant assumption that some people make that they have the right to decide for someone else how that person ought to react to things! Who the hell are they & what is wrong with them that they believe that their way of reacting to or judging something is the way everyone else ought to? What disturbing ego-centrism! If something does not strike YOU as a serious matter demanding your utmost attention & consideration, that is YOUR call & nobody else's.

Obviously not, but is there any particular, identifiable reason? Just saying "because that's how it is" may be accurate, but it falls rather short of an actual explanation or even a useful answer. Is it inappropriate because people are too emotionally involved in day-to-day situations and unable to view them externally?

That's one possibility. Another reason could be someone could think you're being a terrorist and you're really not being one. There are certain things you just might never want to joke about online or with anyone you don't know such as the topic of terrorism. Really, you should not joke about terrorism at all, but there will be people who do it. It's a really touchy subject, and one of an infinite number.

I don't... quite get what you mean. I don't really have any underlying "true intentions" if I comment on something in a humorous fashion. A joke is a joke, plain and simple. If I have something "serious" to say about a situation, I'll just say it and move on.[/QUOTE]

A joke or "joke" is not so plain and simple if the other party does not know if it's a joke or not. Whether the other party should know or not is another story and subject to opinion.

Also, if you joke all the time, that gives off vibes that you are not a dependable person when seriousness is needed for certain situations. Trust is questionable if others can't feel you out. Something to consider.

You can have one way of thinking, someone else/others may have others, and everyone needs to find happy medium(s) that work to the best of their abilities for the party that he/she/they are interacting with.

People have often told me that I always look serious, but that's because unless I make an effort to show emotions, I usually have a blank facial expression.

Normally I have the opposite problem! I am too serious in most situations. It's because I don't want to bluff people. Then when people get sarcastic on me, I couldn't figure that out for years. Now I'm finally getting the hang of it. It's fun. :laugh:

I'm also considered as extremely serious, and I admit that I don't like fooling for nothing. But when I do like to have fun and let it go, it comes as a big surprise for everyone. Do they really think I'm pathetic all the time, c'mon.

I am usually too serious too. Not that I can't laugh at all, but mean and unfriendly people made me a lot less outgoing. Most people who are never serious lose my trust, and I certainly don't depend on them if I can help it.

Being not serious is one of the few times Iam really happy and feel myself, maybe its just embracing all my quirks but I like it. Sometimes its the only way I can actually take things serious. Sometimes I get nervous and dont say things when Iam too serious but when I loosen up a bit I do a lot better.

Oh yes! It's quite aggravating. It's like whenever I am TRYING to be serious, I just get laughed at or everyone thinks I'm joking. I actually can get very pissed off at people. There's a HUGE difference between me joking and me being serious. If I'm actually trying to talk about something serious and no one listens, I'll literally just not even tolerate it. Maybe people just can't tell when I'm joking or being serious...? But I don't know. I do expect them to know the difference, I'd think it's obvious by the subject matter and tone of voice! Apparently not.

New Threads

Top Bottom