• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Rocker

Hi all!

Ive been a creeper on these forums for a while so i figure its time to register and say hello.

After my son was diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum my wife often hinted that i was in there somewhere too. i scoffed at the idea and didnt necessarily agree that my son was either! You see i've been taking paxil for about 15 years and this has numbed alot of the issues i had prior to going on meds - what can I say ignorance is bliss. Having been taking this medication for so long, I think my body does not get the same benefits as before and now alot of my old traits are coming to the surface again. Finally, I decided to explore what exactly is aspergers and I was astonished to find out how close it matches my life. Right now, I do not need an official diagnosis. I have searched for so long (obviously not in the right places) for others who experience things like I do and now here it is - the very thing i thought the most unlikely. I did have an impromtu assessment done by a psychologist who deals with children with autism. We sat and she asked me questions and she talked about her 18 year old son who was recently diagnosed and my story reminded here alot of her son...yet she did not think i could get an official diagnosis. At the time i really was not interested in this too much (my wife set it up for me) and I was in a good place (mentally). I have not had much luck with psychologists ( I have seen a few) but they all want me to change the way i think - If I could do that I wouldn't have to see them!

Anyways, i am 39 and I have reached a point where the meds are just not working like they used to and i am scared. In fact, I have just quit my job and I am starting a new one next week. I am very anxious and I guess this is why I finally decided to "come out" here as it were. It would be nice to hear from people in a similar situation.

Thanks

G

New Threads

Top Bottom