• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New word you learned

Kayla55

When I learnt to hold down jobs I learnt a new word sebatical.... My ex would also use word pedantic.
So this thread isn't necessarily post and try to name an emotion (can too) it's too list words describe philosophy or idea...often I'd notice this but never knew word for it.
Hopefully together we can add whole lot new words here to share.

cathartic - cleansing or purging of emotions, the feeling of relief from suppressed emotion through the expressing of those emotions.

Snollygoster.

Snollygoster is a noun that means a shrewd, unprincipled person, especially a politician. It is a somewhat old-fashioned word that was first used in American English in the mid-1800s, and has fallen out of common usage in recent times. It's a fun word to say and might come in handy when you want to describe someone who is less than scrupulous in their dealings.

Apathy means you have a lack of interest or drive for much of anything. Usually activities you enjoy feel like nothing to you instead. Very common in depression from my experience.

Apathy means you have a lack of interest or drive for much of anything. Usually activities you enjoy feel like nothing to you instead. Very common in depression from my experience.
I believe another word for that is “anhedonia.” Also a word I learned relatively recently.

Umwelt. Refers to how an organism senses and interprets the world around them. Actually, this is an over-simplified definition.

For a better understanding of umwelt, read the book, "An Immense World by Ed Yong. A fantastic read!

While the word autism is not found anywhere in the book, I feel it is all about autism, because my sense and interpretation of the world around me is very different from others.

I very seldom hear new words parents were. From Netherland, I used to read dictionary when young got exposed to many words. currently have decent vocabulary. I am an expert on colour Ss here is a word that many here may not be familiar with metamerism. When I first started working at my last employee. They were not aware of this term.
Having formal training in colour control its very important, same if you are fashion conscious.

When I hear "faith", "hope", "determination", anything g positive, all I can think about is times when I has all of that, and waited, waited and waited for life to change and get better, but it just took too long and help always came too late. Nobody ever helped us when we were homeless and stuck in a hotel room with no money or food or gas in the car, nobody ever came and asked if we were okay or needed anything which we always did. So why should I have faith in people, or society as a whole? Why should I hope for an empty future now in the present day when my daily life has become stagnant and unmoving? Why should I be determined about anything if anything I do is just going to produce the same results that drive me even more mad?! What point does life even have?!? If life just has no purpose other than to sit and wait for nothing to happen, why not just cut to the chase?!!!

Serendipity.

Serendipity refers to the occurrence of fortunate or desirable events by chance or accident, in a way that is unexpected and surprising. It describes the experience of making a valuable discovery or finding something pleasant or useful while looking for something else entirely. Serendipity is often associated with the idea of a happy accident or a pleasant surprise that leads to a positive outcome. It suggests the idea of stumbling upon something wonderful or beneficial without actively seeking it. The term was coined by Horace Walpole in the 18th century, inspired by a Persian fairy tale called "The Three Princes of Serendip."

Weltschmerz - Comes from German and literally means "world pain", used to describe feelings and individual has of weariness, depression, emotional and/or physical pain because the world world is a hot soupy mess. i.e. me.

Weltschmerz - Comes from German and literally means "world pain", used to describe feelings and individual has of weariness, depression, emotional and/or physical pain because the world world is a hot soupy mess. i.e. me.

The Germans have so many good words. Like "Fernweh" for example. That's a word for the opposite of homesickness. Travel-sickness. A strong desire to travel and visit other places.

New Threads

Top Bottom