• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New job prospect, torn about what to do

Ronin82

Dog Trainer Extraordinaire
V.I.P Member
So I have an opportunity to get a job in my field as a peer counselor with a local Mental health organization. The pay isn't great, but its in the field my degree is in (psychology). On one hand, this job offers a W-2, benefits, and since mental issues are a requirement of the position I'm assuming they will be more willing to accommodate for those issues. I just don't know if I really want to spend so much time counseling people. Its kind of a PTSD trigger on top of the whole Aspie thing of social difficulties, long work hours, environmental conditions, dressing a certain way, etc. I've sent in my application, don't expect to hear back from them since I requested more money than the position is offering (they only require a HS diploma, I have a Bachelor's). SHOULD they call me for an interview, I'm going to give it my best shot, but I'm wondering if I should be completely honest with them about the difficulties the job presents me. I'll be needing longer breaks and lunches since my Service Dog will be with me, and if I can swing it, a shorter working day.

What do you guys think? Should I try this to see if I can handle it on a full-time basis, or should I just forget it and look for something else, knowing that I will never get out of my parents' house (another BIG PTSD trigger) if I take a job I can actually do comfortably?

SHOULD they call me for an interview, I'm going to give it my best shot, but I'm wondering if I should be completely honest with them about the difficulties the job presents me. I'll be needing longer breaks and lunches since my Service Dog will be with me, and if I can swing it, a shorter working day.

What do you guys think? Should I try this to see if I can handle it on a full-time basis, or should I just forget it and look for something else, knowing that I will never get out of my parents' house (another BIG PTSD trigger) if I take a job I can actually do comfortably?

With that particular kind of potential employer, I'm thinking that if they are any good at what they do they should be fairly intuitive at to what your needs are or may be, apart from being an equal opportunity employer.

I'd give it a shot and see how far you can get with them on your own terms as well as theirs. Maybe there's a "sweet spot" in the middle. To be honest with them, but don't feel obligated to share everything about yourself up front. Being mindful that some degree of compromise will likely be an aspect of every job opportunity that you find.

Beyond that it's just a matter of seeing how you feel in any particular work routine, and that you can handle it. Accepting the reality that one day may occasionally be better or worse than others.

Last edited:
So I have an opportunity to get a job in my field as a peer counselor with a local Mental health organization. The pay isn't great, but its in the field my degree is in (psychology). On one hand, this job offers a W-2, benefits, and since mental issues are a requirement of the position I'm assuming they will be more willing to accommodate for those issues. I just don't know if I really want to spend so much time counseling people. Its kind of a PTSD trigger on top of the whole Aspie thing of social difficulties, long work hours, environmental conditions, dressing a certain way, etc. I've sent in my application, don't expect to hear back from them since I requested more money than the position is offering (they only require a HS diploma, I have a Bachelor's). SHOULD they call me for an interview, I'm going to give it my best shot, but I'm wondering if I should be completely honest with them about the difficulties the job presents me. I'll be needing longer breaks and lunches since my Service Dog will be with me, and if I can swing it, a shorter working day.

Hey Ronin! If you are passionate about helping people, by all means, go for it. The trick will be to keep things in balance and keep your perspective. That will be key for your health, which above all, is very important. If you are offered and accept the job, please promise yourself that if it begins to affect you, that you will remove yourself from the situation before any harm comes.

How often can you find a job where you can be 100% forthcoming about your autism? I say go for it. Good luck.

Thanks for the support, guys! I've decided to also try being an entrance counselor for local community colleges. I love writing up degree plans and tailoring a program of study to an individual. I'm actually really good at that. One of these things has got to work out, right?

Thanks for the support, guys! I've decided to also try being an entrance counselor for local community colleges. I love writing up degree plans and tailoring a program of study to an individual. I'm actually really good at that. One of these things has got to work out, right?
As always, I want nothing but the best for you. My only concern is that this will end up being like a sales-type job where you have a quota to meet. Hopefully the students you will be working with have already been accepted and have chosen to enroll. I would implode in a position like this.

Well, turns out the only position available is Academic Advisor I in the Psych department at my Alma Mater. Sounds perfect, since the kids are already enrolled, I just have to keep their degree plans organized so they know which classes to take, and handle paperwork and records. Easy peasy, I love doing that, makes my OCD so happy! Gonna apply for that one this morning, and keep looking for other positions at colleges closer to my intended area of town.

Well, turns out the only position available is Academic Advisor I in the Psych department at my Alma Mater. Sounds perfect, since the kids are already enrolled, I just have to keep their degree plans organized so they know which classes to take, and handle paperwork and records. Easy peasy, I love doing that, makes my OCD so happy! Gonna apply for that one this morning, and keep looking for other positions at colleges closer to my intended area of town.
Wishing you the best, Ronin!

Yeah, right now I really want to stay in Texas. I couldn't bear to leave my therapist, we still have so much work to do! I'm still keeping up the job search here, but I appreciate the info. :)

You would be more than welcome! Actually, construction and apartment maintenance positions are pretty prolific in my city. Don't know about the rest of the state, though

Yeah, right now I really want to stay in Texas. I couldn't bear to leave my therapist, we still have so much work to do! I'm still keeping up the job search here, but I appreciate the info. :)

That strikes me as a really important "commodity" in our world. A therapist you like that works for you. I can see how that would make such a decision to move that much more difficult.

New Threads

Top Bottom