• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Need help finding a program that helps an adult with Autism

HisShadowX

Hello everyone,

So here is my problem when you see me, when you first hear me Iook normal and sound very successful. In fact whenever I show up to a job everyone thinks I'm upper management or the owner. My current job it took them two months to figure out they were not on undercover boss.

I have a "radio voice" as I'm reminded hundred times a day and I mean that literally.

I was just told by a program that helps people with disabilities that I sound very high functioning and doubt I would want or quality for the service they provide.

I've always in a way had a care taker whether it's been with a companion or my parents it's very hard to function and take care of myself with my job and to remember to take care of my basic needs.

My wife is from South America we are getting divorced once she got her green card that was it I didn't see it coming and soon I'll be homeless and don't know what to do.

This isn't the first time this happened I was tricked by a black lesbian stud which is a lesbian butch and convinced me she loved me and we were going to get married.

After she had my child and realized I didn't make any money divorce was pointless but she gets child support.

I am looking for an educational program or something for someone like me who has Aspergers on the Autism Spectrum or some kind of housing program.

I am in Chicago Illionis and pretty much lost. Everyone who sees me thinks there is nothing wrong with me.....

I am in desperate need of help can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm 30 years old make ten dollars an hour and just want to improve my life

What it sounds like you might need is a case manager, in addition to any treatment that would help you. A case manager is usually only available through your state mental health system. Below are two different scenarios, since I don't know your income and insurance situation.

1. If you only have Medicaid or Medicare for insurance, have no insurance at all, or if you are regularly insured but make less than 200% of the federal poverty line (FPL) for your household size ( Illinois Legal Aid | Federal Poverty Guidelines ):

Contact the public mental health authority for your county. When you call, describe your insurance/income status, your ASD and any comorbid conditions (or say you want assessment if you don't have any formal diagnoses), briefly explain your general situation, outline your practical needs, and see if they can set you up for intake/assessment. This would likely include meeting with a social worker and a psychiatrist or mental health nurse. Once assessed, you would be assigned a case manager and treatment team. Then you can get started on getting your needs met.

Note that most state-run mental health clinics require that patients need regular oversight and/or medication from a psychiatrist to qualify. Depending on the state, a person with an ASD that doesn't require any medication or regular doctor's care may be an exception.

2. If you have private insurance and you make more than 200% of the FPL:

You may still be able to access a public mental health caseworker and treatment team if your insurance company allows it. Check with them ASAP. If they do, see #1 above for more info on what to do next.

If you have any other questions or need assistance dealing with the public system, feel free to ask. I have training and experience in this sort of thing.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

My wife is from South America we are getting divorced once she got her green card that was it I didn't see it coming and soon I'll be homeless and don't know what to do.

This isn't the first time this happened I was tricked by a black lesbian stud which is a lesbian butch and convinced me she loved me and we were going to get married.

After she had my child and realized I didn't make any money divorce was pointless but she gets child support.

If a woman married you in order to obtain residency or possible future citizenship in the US, that is FRAUD. Why will you be homeless, is she kicking you out?

If I were you I would report the fact in all your divorce paperwork that while you married sincerely for love, you discovered after the fact that your 'wife' married you under fraudulent intentions as part of an immigration scam. How long were you married?

I am sorry two such women took such horrible advantage of you. Please be more careful sexually as well so that you do not end up at the mercy of such people, & with more children whom you can hardly support earning $10/hr.

Do you have any family or a close friend - someone you can trust who has good judgment - who can help advise you with things like that in the future? Sadly, you need to protect yourself from unscrupulous people (as we all do). :(

I've always in a way had a care taker whether it's been with a companion or my parents it's very hard to function and take care of myself with my job and to remember to take care of my basic needs.

I haven't read all your posts so don't know your entire situation ... Are you parents still alive, &/or do you have any siblings or relatives who could help you in some way? Is your family aware you need some assistance & guidance?

If a woman married you in order to obtain residency or possible future citizenship in the US, that is FRAUD.

Sadly, USCIS doesn't care. If you consent to marrying someone and bringing them to the States, it's entirely on you except in a very narrow range of circumstances. The immigrant doesn't have to go back where they came from, and you can be held legally responsible for their welfare for up to 40 quarters. And yes, you can lose your home to them.

(I belong to a web forum for persons seeking marriage-based visas to the U.S. and their partners. I joined when I was bringing my ex-husband over, years ago, and stuck around to offer aid to others. This sort of thing comes up frequently.)

Sadly, USCIS doesn't care. If you consent to marrying someone and bringing them to the States, it's entirely on you except in a very narrow range of circumstances. The immigrant doesn't have to go back where they came from, and you can be held legally responsible for their welfare for up to 40 quarters. And yes, you can lose your home to them.

(I belong to a web forum for persons seeking marriage-based visas to the U.S. and their partners. I joined when I was bringing my ex-husband over, years ago, and stuck around to offer aid to others. This sort of thing comes up frequently.)
Thanks Slithytoves/Jen. That is too bad. I am sure there are plenty of people who deliberately seek to take advantage of someone who is vulnerable or kind hearted & sincere. This kind of thing also happens to elderly widows & widowers who are alone or lonely. Sad. I really cannot stand when a person preys on someone else like that. Separately, I am so happy for you, that you have at last found your soul mate/partner. (I have mine & it is something I so wish for everyone.) :)

Hello everyone,

So here is my problem when you see me, when you first hear me Iook normal and sound very successful. In fact whenever I show up to a job everyone thinks I'm upper management or the owner. My current job it took them two months to figure out they were not on undercover boss.

I have a "radio voice" as I'm reminded hundred times a day and I mean that literally.

I was just told by a program that helps people with disabilities that I sound very high functioning and doubt I would want or quality for the service they provide.

I am looking for an educational program or something for someone like me who has Aspergers on the Autism Spectrum or some kind of housing program.

I am in Chicago Illionis and pretty much lost. Everyone who sees me thinks there is nothing wrong with me.....

I am in desperate need of help can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm 30 years old make ten dollars an hour and just want to improve my life
Check out this thread.
Coping: A Survival Guide for People with Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

I am sure there are plenty of people who deliberately seek to take advantage of someone who is vulnerable or kind hearted & sincere. This kind of thing also happens to elderly widows & widowers who are alone or lonely.

Separately, I am so happy for you, that you have at last found your soul mate/partner. (I have mine & it is something I so wish for everyone.) :)

Unfortunately, while other types of fraud are fairly well regulated now, marriage-based immigration fraud is still behind the times, except when the fraudster comes from a very short list of "red flag" countries, or if you met them through certain websites (most of which have been shut down). The reasoning is that a person should get to know someone well enough before marriage to detect likely fraud on their own. This fails to take into account that love makes people pretty blind.

Thanks for your good wishes. I got extremely lucky. Believe me, not a day goes by that I don't think about how slim the odds were that I would have ever met him. It sure took long enough. I guess the stars line up when they're ready. I'm glad your stars did, too. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom