• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Name an ASD "super power" or talent you have no use for

I read fast and if it's interesting, can retain the information. If I'm in a reading mood, my average is about 6 novels a day including breaks for real life. I got into Honor's English in college at 16, not that it did me any good.

I'm able to hear if someone left a tv on or something plugged in turned on because I can hear it humming.

I have memorized a lot of useless trivia. Beneficial for playing along with game shows, winning at Trivial Pursuit and conversational ice-breaking. Well, maybe it isn't quite so useless after all, if it serves social functions like that. But I consider it "useless" because the knowledge I retain isn't practical in and of itself. For example, if I ever get stranded in the wilderness, I highly doubt my ability to easily memorize the names of anime voice actors will do me any good. :tonguewink:

I have memorized a lot of useless trivia. Beneficial for playing along with game shows, winning at Trivial Pursuit and conversational ice-breaking. Well, maybe it isn't quite so useless after all, if it serves social functions like that. But I consider it "useless" because the knowledge I retain isn't practical in and of itself. For example, if I ever get stranded in the wilderness, I highly doubt my ability to easily memorize the names of anime voice actors will do me any good. :tonguewink:

But if you ever get caught in an avalanche...
Dribble. Whichever way it falls is a good way to know if you're upside down or not. Then start digging.

Equally useless, but I've added this kind of stuff to my trivia file.
Anil bhagwat on the revolver album actually was used!

Didn't read all the posts here, but thought I might be able to contribute.
As my username implies I'm very musical, in fact music technology is one of those special interests I can happily spend half a day indulging.

At an early age my piano teachers and eventually family found out I had perfect pitch, which means I can hear a note and know instantly what it is, without any sort of reference. There are different degrees of this, from what I'm told. Some people are better at recognizing pitches from certain instruments, but have difficulty recognizing pitches from other instruments. Some people have trouble with chords (multiple notes at once), but can do single notes just fine. For me, there is little distinction. Chords are definitely harder, but provided the chords are familiar and easy to hear, I can normally work out exactly what the notes are and what instrument is playing which notes. I'm not sure if it was the training growing up, or if it is indeed part of my talent. I attribute it to both. It's a cool party trick especially when I was in college with a bunch of music majors who tried to trick me by playing very difficult chords.

I also use this talent a lot when transcribing things, or when doing sound design. Because I can listen with keen attention to detail, I can make out pretty quickly how something might be made, or at least hypothesize about it and go from there. I can't say I'm the best of everyone I know, but I think I'm pretty good. And I definitely have my niche areas of keenest exploration.

My tactile memory is pretty good, which is a good thing because my regular memory sucks. Simply put, if you tell me chord names, or tell me notes, I will never remember them unless I can either hear them audibly, or can play them on the keyboard. It's sort of a feedback loop with my synesthesia, which has this weird way of linking tactile and audible cues. If I can feel the chord out, so to speak, I can remember it well. When I learn new material, I have to play it as I learn it, trying to memorize it without playing is no good.

There are other texture sensitivities which I have that aren't completely musical. That's not really a talent, it's more just a sensitivity which I can sometimes use to help me draw on certain emotions or the like.

Whether I have useless superpowers or not, I don't really know. I've certainly done some gigs and made a fair bit of money, so as a musician my aural talents help me a lot. I've thought about being a piano tuner. I've thought about being a mixing engineer either for sound recording or music production. I've thought about trying to work at a synthesizer manufacturing company like Roland, Yamaha, etc. working on sound design. None of it has really happened or started to happen.

For one thing I've decided that recording engineer wouldn't be my primary choice, as I am not as adept with the technicalities of recording and the subtleties one has to be attuned to with the fine art of mixing and the like. Ironic I know, given how I just said my hearing is well attuned and all that, but subtle changes when a lot of variables are involved are really hard for me to get accustomed to, partly because of concentration issues and partly because I've grown to like things that a lot of other professionals seem to scoff at. I could probably get in the field, but I feel like my abilities may lie elsewhere.

Piano tuning I think I could fair better with since my pitch sensitivity is pretty sharp, and I've always liked the thought of taking an instrument that sounded bad and making it substantially better. I've watched videos on Youtube about piano tuning, and about the theory of why things are done the way they are, and surprisingly I do get a lot of it. So, I think if I were to actually do some training with a mentor, I would catch on really quickly. I'd just want to be sure I was working with someone who didn't just copy his teacher's methods. Because it's sort of a special interest, generic procedure isn't enough; I'd want, at least to an extent, to learn about the theory of it, the rhyme and reason behind it. Similarly to perhaps how someone with a special interest in languages would want to know the roots of the new words they learn, and not simply their everyday definition and spelling in English.

So yeah, I really don't know. Just thought I'd throw my talents out here.

I'm not sure if it was the training growing up, or if it is indeed part of my talent. I attribute it to both.

Actually, we are all born with perfect pitch; it is how we learn language. Most people lose it; I am sure your training and talent helped you keep it.

-Super Snoot

I can smell cigarette smoke, alcohol, peanut butter, or coffee breath on people from a mile away, like a blood hound. You just ate a Snickers bar? Yep, I smell it.

-Super Hearing

I had super powers even as a kid. I could hear the electric hum of those old tube TV sets. If a TV was on somewhere in the house, I could tell from a room away. Can't hear that on newer TVs and flat screens though.

I can hear buzzing from plugs in electrical outlets.

Cheap or poor quality headphones? I can hear the feedback, echo, or static and it ain't pretty.

And let's not forget AC or heating vents. I can hear the whisper of air pouring from a vent.

When I was in college, my dorm room had lighting fixtures from the 80s that used florescent bulbs. I could hear the bulbs buzzing every time the lights were on. Plus, this buzzing made the fixtures vibrate against the walls. This leveled up my super hearing by +100xp.

-Super Uncomfortable

I have the uncanny power of awkward silences, long and uncomfortable pauses, and the abrupt end of conversations.

I have the uncanny power of awkward silences, long and uncomfortable pauses, and the abrupt end of conversations

I'm imagining a competition. Like a reverse x-factor or americas got talent.

People who can talk okay are eliminated in fhe first rounds, then it gets worse every week until @RiverSong and the other finalists face off to be the most awkward champion of silences.
Have you got what it takes? (Or not)

I'm imagining a competition. Like a reverse x-factor or americas got talent.

People who can talk okay are eliminated in fhe first rounds, then it gets worse every week until @RiverSong and the other finalists face off to be the most awkward champion of silences.
Have you got what it takes? (Or not)
Oh, goodness no! That would be way too painful to watch. :eek:

I mean, I wouldn't mind (because I'd win that hands down) but it would probably annoy everyone else.

I have super-human hearing. Although this is more of an achievement in ignorance because I have no idea how to tune people out.

I have super-human hearing. Although this is more of an achievement in ignorance because I have no idea how to tune people out.

1) I can sense barometric pressure drops, which usually means a storm is coming. I started noticing it after I broke a bone that healed, but now I can just feel it in a lot of my bones after having learned it I guess.

2) I can feel my organs, intestines, heart, etc when they are in discomfort. They often feel discomfort after eating certain foods, which has made me a very healthy eater but means I sadly don't get to enjoy much cheese!

3) I used to be able to hear lightbulbs and a lot of electronics, but my hearing has rolled off. Now I don't hear it so much, but I still turn them off when I want to enjoy silence. I always bring earplugs with me when I travel. I can hear supposedly imperceptible changes in my stereo-- changing from one set of wires to another, etc. Tougher in my old age though.

4) I can visualize the correlation of complex financial transactions, I see them like levers & gears, and see them all in my head, instantly. It takes a lot of complex math to be able to calculate financial econometrics, and I can usually "see" share price outcomes to certain mergers & acquisitions almost instantly, transactions that takes most financial analysts a lot of time to calculate. I guess that's useful to me. Sorry. Couldn't resist sharing.

5) I can also see patterns, waves, echoes, and other predictable numerical trends in the stock market. 2 days before bitcoin dropped 33% I sent a texts to my friends saying it was about to drop, just to show off. I didn't own any bitcoin, but I could see it was in for a fall.

6) I am a wellspring of useless facts and information. "Hey... here's a fun fact..." will peak my attention every time.

That is (most likely) due to a leaky "sensory gate." If you learn how to to harness it, it can be a super power.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom