• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Name an ASD "super power" or talent you have no use for

Flourescent lightbulbs. Gotta hate 'em. ;)

My hearing is a superpower that is usually just annoying, but recently it was able to pinpoint a pressure tank leak that no one else could hear. So every time I hear the smallest sound that no one else can (or can't hear what you're saying because the refrigerator is so darn loud), I try to remind myself that it's actually something I should be proud of.

I can also smell food right before it burns -before it actually gives off the smell everyone else can detect -and I can taste different kinds of water. Which is probably the most useless out of any of these, but hey. :) I've also found that if I zone out and don't pay attention to it, I can sing along to songs I've never heard before.

Last edited:
I am a purveyor of useless facts. Usually triggered by someone saying something and me retrieving some obscure, related fact.
Along with said facts, I can usually recall one or more jokes based on the given subject, if I know such. In elementary school, joke books were the only kind I ever ordered, in in-school book sales.

I can tell by the clothing and hairstyles which era a film was made in give or take a year or two. Can also keep a running total of the cost in memory of all items in a shopping cart, no matter how many.

Last edited:
Finding puzzle pieces...and hearing cars and doors shutting through walls...?:confused:
The front gate slamming shut can nearly jump me out of my computer chair...I can't sleep without a fan going.

I have other Auti powers but they are quite useful.

I can feel matches and patterns in the world...it is sort of like my brain lights up.
I do not have to be looking for that pattern or even thinking about it when I spot it.
It can be a impending war about to break...or some thing sneaky a government or group is doing...or a social sociatal pattern...I saw the riots coming to Germany well before they started...too much Nanny state boot on their necks I could feel the kettle about to blow.
It is the sane in my science I can feel matches even when they seem unrelated and I do not have to be actively thinking about any of it at the time...it just falls from the sky like Manna to me.

I also can feel future trends and my head can empathically add up the horror of it... this one is not so good for me...actually it is quite hard on me.

I can feel the Black fingers of Evil creeping through our world out there it is far worse than anyone imagines...the numbers are very high...it runs deep...we are in for a rough ride in these coming years I fear!

Last edited:
Dylan is the exact same. He wakes up to very very minor sounds. There could be a pin drop in his room, and he would wake up to it. We noticed this around the eighteen month mark, and to this day he is still hyper aware of minimal sounds. He will wake up easily to a refrigerator and heater coming on, and to someone quietly rolling over in bed next to his bed and to the wind outside. As well, he will awaken to a quiet whisper, to cricket sounds at night or to a bird chirping in the morning, and things like that. None of us gets as much sleep because of that.
Maybe my son wakes up so much during the night, not only for nightmares, but for the same reason I do, for low noise. It's so obvious and I've never connected the dots before. Thanks.

Even "Quest For Fire?" I'm impressed! Oops...but it's in full color. :p

Ika's wearing clay and charcoal and her hair is oiled. The men from the Ulam tribe are wearing fur garments and clay. Circa: Paleolithic Europe 80,000 years ago, and some of those hair styles are current.:D

You know those conduits for bio-energy (chi/ki/prana) inside the body Chinese or energy medicine calls "meridians?" Often I can sense them when I'm giving a Reiki treatment. So, no useless, but handy.

I can also very much sense chi from people, animals, plants, and minerals. Energy can adhere to objects recently handled too, energy signatures fade in time. From being able to sense chi, I usually get information others seem to not get.

This is really just an amplified sensory sensitivity.

Hi T.J.L.V. and welcome.

One of my useless superpowers is hearing cellphones ringing in loud environments. It could potentially be useful if waiting for an important call but with a bunch of telemarketers calling it seems pretty useless lately.

Hi T.J.L.V. and welcome.

One of my useless superpowers is hearing cellphones ringing in loud environments. It could potentially be useful if waiting for an important call but with a bunch of telemarketers calling it seems pretty useless lately.
Not if you own a air horn...:p

I have a memory for useless facts and information, I take in a lot of info but all of it irreverent to work or day to day living E.g I can name all the Transformers toys that were released from 1984 to 1987 and I can name all the fireworks that a NZ firework company called Universal released in the 1980's from the top of my head, now if that isn't useless I don't know what is but its something I can do that no one else can (or want to).

Well this is a pretty useless talent... Since as early as I can remember I have been able to draw / design complex mazes very quickly and naturally without thinking, I thought that anyone could do this, but apparently not, well not to the standard and complexity I can anyway, I've seen NT people try and they fail miserably compared to my creations.

PS: My special interest and talent is computers, but that is obviously useful.

You know those conduits for bio-energy (chi/ki/prana) inside the body Chinese or energy medicine calls "meridians?" Often I can sense them when I'm giving a Reiki treatment. So, no useless, but handy.

I can also very much sense chi from people, animals, plants, and minerals. Energy can adhere to objects recently handled too, energy signatures fade in time. From being able to sense chi, I usually get information others seem to not get.

This is really just an amplified sensory sensitivity.
I do Reiki, so I know what you mean.
I can see auras better with my eyes closed.
This is one reason I am very into stones and crystals.
The energy is different in each variety and I love to feel this by holding my hands over them or holding one physically.

Love to help people or animals with energy manipulation.
A lot of people want to feel this energy, so I create an energy ball between my hands and tell them to put a hand in between mine. Most can feel it like a magnet sensation. It's great to get people interested in the subject.
Don't know if it is an Aspie power, although I've known a few others who have these abilities. Currently I am friends with an Aspie man that does Reiki and a lot of Eastern prana and chi work.

I have a very keen sense of smell. I can tell the difference between new and old gasoline. Or when meat or milk is going bad. I can tell if water is safe to drink or not just by how it smells. Though helpful in specific instances, generally this is not very useful.

Does old gas smell like stinky sweet varnish to you... hard to explain but thats about as close as I can get?
I love the smell of High Octane racing fuel burning... It has alcohol in it... It smells clean in some weird way. I'm so random sometimes... geez

New Threads

Top Bottom