• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Obsession(s)

As others have mentioned, learning as much as a I can about autism and particularly how females experience it is a current special interest. That's not too surprising since I have only been aware of being on the spectrum for about 6 months. Previously I had a very passionate special interest which was gardening, but more than the actual physical act, I spent hours and days and months reading books, learning botanical latin and making landscaping plans. I can no longer garden but have a passion for painting. I am also highly interested in social sciences, neurology, philosophy and I am a fervent atheist with a love of reading all things that support this whether it be science or the writings of people like Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris. I love systems and I love design and colour so currently am obsessed with systems for figuring out what a person should wear based on lines of the body and colouring. There are many systems to explore, critique and learn from. This does not mean that I am obsessed with fashion or particularly stylish myself. :)

My obsessions change, I get highly obsessed with one thing but then one day I realize it's not interesting any more. My latest one was autism research/videos (and perhaps still is). My other obsession is buying things (it is a bad thing I would say). For example, the other week I 'realized(!)' that I need noise cancelling headphones and browsed everything I could about them, found the best ones and today I bought them (yuppie). I know that I don't really need them, but the process itself is satisfying.
My obsessions are changing as well. I always thought it's something wrong with me, that I'm just a quitter. Sometimes it's a day, week or a month (3 months max I suppouse). The only intrest I never lost is computer graphics (I neglect it from time to time and it fluctuates but the main thing stays the same). Maybe computer games as well.

Random obsessions I recall (which I had or have): lucid dreaming, parapsychology, ornitology, conspiracy theories, jogging, journaling, photography, computer games, types of looks, makeup, veganism, internet's sites (e.g. facebook, pintrest, 9gag)...

I've just re-started an old interest of mine not too long ago--collecting Hot Wheels cars. I have about 60 of them so far, but my collection is rapidly growing.

My obsession is Tetris, both single player and multiplayer.
I love clearing maps on tetris client called "jstris"
I love playing multiplayer on a client called "Cultris 2"
I play Tetris A LOT since I was age 13, when I was in middle school, a very, very high stress time for me.

l loved stain glass, can do it well. l love victorian novels, true life crime, l love owing a bunch of computers, l love having obsessions period. They make the world so interesting. l love history, reading City of Dreams, which shows the struggle of the Jews, Irish, Italiens, and Germans. l actually learned quite a lot from this book. l love exercise, l like working, l was working 6 days a week for 1/2 year, and would have continued if older woman weren't discriminated against. Obsessions give us a passion for life, somethings will hold our interest, other things we let go of.

It's hard to pinpoint an definite "obsession", in my case. I used to be very interested in fan-created content when i was younger. I never integrated myself in any fandom because interacting with people is a sin in my religion, though. However, i used to be into alot of "web-culture" type stuff (MLP, Homestuck, lolcows, true crime community, RPG Maker/indie games, the furry community, internet oddities, etc.). I just love eavesdropping in other's lives/interests and pretending that i'm part of something. Maybe that's my "obsession".

I am obsessed with personality theories: MBTI, the Enneagram, and the Jungian Cognitive Functions, as well as the colloquial (although revealing) Dungeons & Dragons Alignment.

I learned of them, several years ago, and studied them madly. Despite distancing myself from them, for a few years, they always pop into my head, at least once a day: even when I'm doing nothing related to them.

I'm also obsessed with: 1) association football, which is called "soccer," in some places, and 2) fancy dictionary words which precisely delineate my intended meanings.

Last edited:
I went to one pub and they had Irish newspapers and the hurling on. I've never watched hurling. I prefer futsal.
Futsal is one of my favorite sports, along with beasal (beach association football), and association football. If you're from a nation such as Canada or the USA, the "football" to which I refer would probably be called "soccer" there.

Fun fact: Although I'm Canadian, and have only ever lived in Canada, I call soccer "association football" because it makes more sense, and references the richer association football cultures of other nations, which I far prefer. If you look up "association football," on Wikipedia (as distinguished from American football), you'll find this picture:
300px-Football_iu_1996.jpg

My mom used to call it my phases. Like I'd be obsessed with trains for awhile, but more so it's very narrowbanded. Like for awhile it was how the stairways were arranged in various houses. Or roof types. Lots of stuff with cars at different times. Shifters (and my grandpa built me a shifter when I about 5). Gears. Headlights and taillights. Dash lights. Front wheel drive vehicles and mechanisms. Lights on RVs and what vehicles the design was "stolen" from.

For awhile it was Hammond organs, Solina string ensemble, Jupiter 8, Prophet 5, the classic synths.

An obsession from an early age was the Mackinac bridge (avatar). The obsession comes and goes but the love never fades.

I tend to try and see 'obsessions' as strong interests, although i've had a number of the former throughout my childhood, like collecting bottle tops. I suppose I try and channel some of the more useful ones (map reading, languages) into adulthood.

I hate when some people tend to link identity as an obsession though.

My main obsession is Elephants. Their cute floppy ears are adorable and I love their tiny eyes :)
I also currently obsessing over Astronomy/Astrology and Cooking. I've already decided to try cooking as my career option :)

I currently love: personality typology, long/lesser-known words, and submission holds. Every day involves all three going through my head.

Afternoon folks,

Thought i'd create this thread in case anybody would like to share their obsessions and give us a little bit of background info.

-Chris

Everyone says I'm "obsessed" with order, patterns & washing my hands.

But I say I just don't like messes, chaos & nastiness.
So I guess it's just a matter of perception.

I wish there nasty handed selves could try to be more open minded about this.

I suppose I am obsessed with Lord of the Rings Online. A Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG). I play it pretty much exclusively. Even though it is a multiplayer game I mostly play it solo.

Although I sometimes interact with other players. Especially when I run into someone doing the same quest or deed and will team up to get the job done faster.

I am bad at video games because of slow reation and poor coordination. But this game is mostly very easy to play. I have been playing it daily for 4 1/2 years.

Last edited:
I am obessed with continuing to run and workout despite quarantine. I am obessed with staying away from ex. I am obessed with owning a roof over my head. Everything else is just trying to live life to the fullest. And bringing smiles to the people l like a lot. All of this ruling my life right now. Staying safe.

Lately i have started to become obsessed with objects mostly scented objects like i was when i was a child. Even things like laundry detergent lol.

Main one is kpop (I don't talk about it often as people make wrong assumptions about me then) I have loved kpop for 6 years now and for four of them it has been the main one.

Personality tests, autism, documentaries, podcasts (MBMBAM and sawbones) are the other ones at the moment

New Threads

Top Bottom