• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My mom used to make me watch all sorts of Christian propaganda

2Fragile2TakeCriticism

Black sheep in my own community
V.I.P Member
Before I moved out, my mom would used to make me watch Christian videos on her Facebook feed every time I “acted out”. For example, if I get angry at her and she thinks I’m talking back to my parents and disrespecting them, she makes me watch a video that says “honor your father and mother” and concludes “this is the sign of the end times” while it plays clips of disrespectful children calling their parents slurs and abusing them. For example, if mom thinks I’m being lazy, not wanting to do any of the housework while mom complains she has worked too hard to raise a “lazy daughter”, she makes me watch a video of a Shel Silverstein story titled “Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout would not take the garbage out” whose garbage flows all over the universe and her laziness is the cause.

For example, if I question her over the “wrongs” of transgenderism and gay marriage, she will make me watch a video that puts gay and transgender people in a negative light and portrays them as the villains. For example, if she believes I’m ungrateful and refusing to eat any of the dinner she cooks me, she’ll make me watch a video about a teenager who disrespects his mother and moves in to his dad’s house only to end up making him miserable due to a “lack of healthy food”.

I hated every second of it. She thinks everything is my fault and I’m being disrespectful even though she’s being abusive. If I try to educate her on my side of things, she however tells me to shut up and stop lying. Thank god I moved out.

My brother-in-law and his partner (gay) have a little refrigerator magnet that says, "I don't have a problem with God, but I do with His fan clubs." There are people who personify and live by the teachings of Jesus without letting everyone know that they are. Perfect. Your life is your life. But, as others have pointed out, when religion is used as a psychological tool it can be used for evil by evil people (who falsely think they are righteous).

Also there have been people that claim they were “cured” of homosexuality by therapy. There is nothing wrong with being homosexual in my opinion.

I watched a South Park episode called “cartman sucks” where butters gets sent to a conversion camp after he is shown to be bi-curious. The camp he gets sent to is abusive and makes this folks there repent to Jesus Christ/follow conservative values

Okay, so, this is the absolute best part of your post: I’m glad you used the word “god” with a lowercase g. You don’t buy that crazy nonsense. Good. And you moved out. You’re free now.

My mother is married to a narcissist Christian right now. Truly the most slickly vile, nefarious man I’ve ever met.
Use of the lower case 'g' in the word "god" doesn't mean *I don't believe in any higher power.*

In general:
Uncapitalized, the word refers to unnamed higher power or powers.
God refers to the monotheistic concept of a/the higher power.

=======
Being a vile, nefarious narcissist and being a Christian aren't necessarily the same thing.
He sounds quite unpleasant, regardless.

Okay, so, this is the absolute best part of your post: I’m glad you used the word “god” with a lowercase g. You don’t buy that crazy nonsense. Good. And you moved out. You’re free now.

My mother is married to a narcissist Christian right now. Truly the most slickly vile, nefarious man I’ve ever met.

Well said, @Kalinychta. And happy birthday!!!!

I was forced to watch Billy Graham's Christian Crusade back in the 1960s. Some things never change.

I once watched an interview of Billy Graham in which the reporter tried to provoke Graham to condemn homosexual people. I'll never forget what Graham said - that God does not rank sins, all sins are evil in his sight, and if you believe that the Ten Commandments are a form of sin ranking, that homosexuality is not even mentioned in the top ten list.

Food for thought.....

I left the church at the age of 15 and never looked back, remaining an agnostic for a number of years. Eventually finding an entirely different way of understanding our possible existence based on experiences having nothing to do with religion.

I'm just grateful that my parents recognized that point in my life when they knew all the rituals, folklore and dogma of attending catechism and weekly mass had little meaning to me. And that they had the wisdom and ethics to just let me go.

New Threads

Top Bottom