• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My lousy eyesight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you want me in an institution, being shot full of drugs, perhaps:cry:?
Yep. Because that's where you belong. As I have said before, you need supervision for your own sake. And your two most recent posts to me bear out what I said about getting mad at people who try to help you.

Last edited:
They were in inside pockets in my jacket. one doesn't expect a thief to go to that length.
That’s naive, Steve. A thief is going to search the most likely location for items of worth. The inside pocket of a coat is one of the first places to look.

Anyway, do you know when you’ll be seeing a social worker? I agree with @GadAbout that you need help managing your affairs. You seem to have a dangerous naïveté about you, combined with a strong case of denial. You need regular medical care and you need someone that can help you with your financial affairs, paperwork, finding a roof above your head and helping you get glasses, among other things.

I believe the suggestion was made in the most positive sense.

You say you are very ill, without housing, unable to keep track of
your belongs, and constantly being taken advantage of.

What about that does not cry out "help me"?
And wouldn't you be safer with an agency to manage your affairs with you?

My daughter and my husband are two people who have deficits in their mental functioning; but unlike Steve, they are willing and eager to receive help in executive functions, administrative affairs, business advice, and general emotional support in navigating a confusing world. Since they are open to it, they get that help. And their situations are much less dire than they might be.

Oh - and they also say "thank you." A lot ... and with sincerity.

I believe the suggestion was made in the most positive sense.

You say you are very ill, without housing, unable to keep track of
your belongs, and constantly being taken advantage of.

What about that does not cry out "help me"?
And wouldn't you be safer with an agency to manage your affairs with you?

..That isn't what she said.
And she seems to practice the " If you don't tell me ' I'll do EXACTLY what you say, yes sir!!!!!!!!!!! ' I'll say ' You just don't WANT to be helped! " philosophy! However. I will try to avoid " You are..."/angry words:confused:.

Does Good Sam have those keyboards in the hospital rooms where you can go online or watch movies? I love those!

My daughter and my husband are two people who have deficits in their mental functioning; but unlike Steve, they are willing and eager to receive help in executive functions, administrative affairs, business advice, and general emotional support in navigating a confusing world. Since they are open to it, they get that help. And their situations are much less dire than they might be.

Oh - and they also say "thank you." A lot ... and with sincerity.

Your judgemental attitude and use of shaming saddens me.

Some people are reluctant to accept help because they have been abused and mistreated by helpers and others in positions of authority. (It happens a lot, and usually it is multiple incidents that makes people understandably mistrustful - although one incident is enough.)

Some people are reluctant to seek help because they are shamed and punished for needing it in the first place or are constantly told no help is available /they dont qualify/they must do things they cant do to access the help, and they give up. Everyone has limits and it is wrong to shame people for having them.

Sometimes people cannot adequately communicate their needs or the difficulties they face in carrying out others’ suggestions. Someone may appear stubborn or like they are not trying when that is not the case at all.

It is natural to want to feel in control of your own life and being locked up against your will is terrifying to many if not most people.

Also just because someone needs a lot of help doesn’t mean they should be locked up or have their statutory rights removed - capacity is complicated and there is such a thing as supported ( as opposed to substitute) decision making.

Anyone who is bitter and resentful and takes it personally when their advice is not followed should stop giving advice rather than shaming the people who are not following that advice. It is always optional for the other person to follow your advice or not. It is always your choice to expend the effort to give the advice or not.

Your judgemental attitude and use of shaming saddens me.

Some people are reluctant to accept help because they have been abused and mistreated by helpers and others in positions of authority. (It happens a lot, and usually it is multiple incidents that makes people understandably mistrustful - although one incident is enough.)

Some people are reluctant to seek help because they are shamed and punished for needing it in the first place or are constantly told no help is available /they dont qualify/they must do things they cant do to access the help, and they give up. Everyone has limits and it is wrong to shame people for having them.

Sometimes people cannot adequately communicate their needs or the difficulties they face in carrying out others’ suggestions. Someone may appear stubborn or like they are not trying when that is not the case at all.

It is natural to want to feel in control of your own life and being locked up against your will is terrifying to many if not most people.

Also just because someone needs a lot of help doesn’t mean they should be locked up or have their statutory rights removed - capacity is complicated and there is such a thing as supported ( as opposed to substitute) decision making.

Anyone who is bitter and resentful and takes it personally when their advice is not followed should stop giving advice rather than shaming the people who are not following that advice. It is always optional for the other person to follow your advice or not. It is always your choice to expend the effort to give the advice or not.

We are all aspies here with varying abilities to empathise or communicate what we mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom