• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My lousy eyesight

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNomad

I have not had prescription glasses for many, many, years, just drugstore generic glasses:coldsweat:. My eyesight is now having a pretty difficult time reading the articles on my phone even:cry:. It's a fairly strong strain to read them.
Now you might think, " " Oh, Social Services will get you glasses " but years spent in California got me nothing of that kind:fearscream:.

I've worn glasses all my life as I have severe astigmatism.
Now that I am older and on SSD medicare I get some pretty good benefits,
but, not for glasses.
When you become old enough to join AARP there are a lot of optical stores that give you
a %50 off discount on top of any sales they may have going also.
That really helps.

Now I am ready for cataract surgery and will get toric lenses so I may not need glasses anymore.
Sure dread the surgery though.
The eye surgeons I have seen about this say the cortisone drops my optometrist had been prescribing
for dry eye syndrome is probably why the cataracts formed and grew so rapidly.
I'd rather have went on wearing glasses than having this surgery! :mad:

@SteveNomad

I don't know what you did or didn't try in California.
Here is a program in Oregon.

"Through partnerships with vision providers and Lions Clubs of Oregon, U.S. residents 18 and older living at 200% or below of the Federal Poverty Level are eligible for free eye exams and eyeglasses."

"How to Access This Program
Through our network of MD-36 Lions Clubs (Oregon and Northern California Lions clubs) we will receive referrals for glasses. A person will get their prescription through a local doctor with Lions’ assistance or through a referral to Legacy. Then our lab will make the glasses and ship to their location.

To access this program, applicants must call the Lions in Service line at (971) 270-0203 phone or e-mail their contact information and request to [email protected].

Lions volunteers will refer the above mentioned calls and e-mails to the appropriate club, who will then provide an application."

LEAP Eyeglass Assistance

I've worn glasses all my life as I have severe astigmatism.
Now that I am older and on SSD medicare I get some pretty good benefits,
but, not for glasses.
When you become old enough to join AARP there are a lot of optical stores that give you
a %50 off discount on top of any sales they may have going also.
That really helps.

Now I am ready for cataract surgery and will get toric lenses so I may not need glasses anymore.
Sure dread the surgery though.
The eye surgeons I have seen about this say the cortisone drops my optometrist had been prescribing
for dry eye syndrome is probably why the cataracts formed and grew so rapidly.
I'd rather have went on wearing glasses than having this surgery! :mad:

I have had cataract surgery on both of my eyes at different times. I would have to say that this was probably the easiest medical procedures that I have ever had and I live in backwoods Idaho. Because it was a surgery, my insurance paid for most of it. The difference in my eyesight after the surgery was amazing. I still wear glasses for close up work, but I can drive without them.

I have not had prescription glasses for many, many, years, just drugstore generic glasses:coldsweat:. My eyesight is now having a pretty difficult time reading the articles on my phone even:cry:. It's a fairly strong strain to read them.
Now you might think, " " Oh, Social Services will get you glasses " but years spent in California got me nothing of that kind:fearscream:.
To receive social services that are available, you have to remain in one place and work with the case manager provided to you. Prescription glasses won't help you if the problem with your vision is caused by poorly treated diabetes.

"What are the symptoms of diabetic eye disease?
Often there are no early symptoms of diabetic eye disease. You may have no pain and no change in your vision as damage begins to grow inside your eyes, particularly with diabetic retinopathy.

When symptoms do occur, they may include

• blurry or wavy vision
  • frequently changing vision—sometimes from day to day
  • dark areas or vision loss
  • poor color vision
  • spots or dark strings (also called floaters)
  • flashes of light
Talk with your eye doctor if you have any of these symptoms."

Diabetic Eye Disease | NIDDK

The article describes and provides illustrative examples of
glaucoma, cataracts, macular edema, and retinopathy.
Plus methods of treatment.

I've learned that going to medicare advantage plans, instead of just medicare (medicare pays the plan you choose, so there's usually no additional charge to you). But many of these advantage plans include vision care. Medicare does not.

...Glasses are certainly needed, I think:frowning:.
I spent many years essentially in two different areas. Santa Cruz and San Francisco.

...I really can't do anything now, in the hospital hands confined and unable, for that matter. to do anything about rebuilding my ID and my bank account and SSDI - and as things right this moment stand, catastrophe is set to happen regarding what would happen with me unable to even start to make these situations better:-( - and general crying (as best I can. not really able to really cry and howl over the sunset of my never-happenwd life:

...I think the Lions club might - might - help, especially if you are already connected, but I am SO not connected it it just never seems to work out that I get connected:coldsweat:.
In my experience, hospital social workers my help - but only when you are in the hospital. not after. and at the same time I am so cut off now in the hospital, isolated ' and my isolation and newness in Portland.
And my handicappedness' making for difficulty in getting around:frowning:.
You know, my vision had so degenerated that do could hardly read most the 5hings on this phone that can't be expanded (some can) now. Then, I found t hat having several drugstore glasses. literally putting one on top of the other makes me see well on the phone like I used to. This is two pairs of glasses, worn at the same time, one over the other
While it's good I can thus read normally, but this shows how much my eyes have degenerated:sob:.
T has been nearly a month since the theftd I have no real I.D. still. Furthermore, here in this hospital, now, the nurse found on the floor that two-bit ID from the homeless center, though it was supposed to be safely in the inside pocket of my jacket - How did it reach the floor? What could have happened to it:fearful:. And, how about the uncashed checks (Received a while ago, to try and deal with the damages from the thefts - However with no state I.F. and no bank card for my bank account now I don't know I could deposit & cash the main one.) that were stashed away in the same pocket? I hope that they are still there:cryingcat:.
To-day is my birthday. Materially. I will receive absolutely nothing, as was the case on Christmas. I'm used to it.:(
I have a Facebook account, where I am closeted about being being homeless, and I have a lot of FB friends, I've been quite active in seeking out FB friends, and I'm on there a lot (and I'll likely get q quite a few happy birthday wishes). An imitation of a real life:sleepy:.

So, have you talked to the hospital social worker during this current stay in the hospital?

Ask your nurse to get you an appointment with the social worker ASAP, then talk to the social worker about the issues you’ve described here. You need to advocate for yourself if you want help, it’s not going to fall into your lap.

...I'm not sure how much I mentioned about why I've been in the hospital (for over two weeks now). My kidneys finally totally collapsed and I was set up for dialysis, that's why. I guess I'll have to have it the rest of my life for hours weekly or did soon after stopping it, a doctor said.
If that's necessary, that's necessary, but, for one, if it amounts to being stuck in one place for the rest of my life, as seems likely with umpteen hours of dialysis a week, at my financial level - I don't want it to be Portland. Grey and dank and wet and pretty sun-less:emojiconfused:. My home county in New York State at least has my memories as the graves of my mother and father and father - the latter two of which I have never seen:anguished:, just as for 20 or so years I never saw my brother until his sudden death:sleepy: - because I was homeless and poor and didn't have, by any standard idea, money to go 3,500 miles to NY and then, once there, stay somewhere while visiting him some (Briefly, there was no way I could stay with him, and nowhere else, with our parents gone.). Even just before I knew of his death I was thinking about how I would like to visit him but I couldn't/didn't:confounded:. And, maybe Social Services would be sympathetic to " a local son come home " and maybe I could get that inheritance lawyer to understand how handicapped my crippledness I am:astonished: and help in setting up a decent place with the money. And get the things I have in storage in Santa Cruz and the family mementos and things I inherited from my brother in one reasonable place:smirk:. I have a bunch of books and some DVDs and I could have a little home:cry:. Maybe this is " mentally preparing to go downhill/die " - but given what the doctors said and my handicappedness and last year-plus of trying to find a place in Santa Cruz and San Francisco while rather handicspped I'd at least like to make use of those books - All, really, the material possessions I have in the world - and see the things from my brother, which I have not been able to have sent to me in the two years-plus since his death:relieved:.
Now, MAYBE, this is too pessimistic, and I could " do more ", try something new, not just read the books before I die. Perhaps so, but, especially given the turned corner represented by the dialysis. maybe I should set up something steady. then, maybe, get better.
I don't really, briefly, know that " housing " such as what I allude to above, something nice, is going to be available for me here in Portland, certainly now though I will need something immediate and hope I get I especially with my, still, weeks after the theft, non-reconstructed Oscars and bank account, money, situation:(. But I am. yeah, wanting to, when I can, go to my home county and try to set up a situation there. There's good doctors anywhere in America and the things I inherited from my brother are there too that's just, then, one set of things that would have to be shipped, the Santa Cruz store-ees.

...Oh, and I was mistaken regarding my homeless place ID, the ID I was thinking of was in the jacket pocket it was supposed to be in. Briefly, earlier I had gotten another ID from that homeless place and thought that I had lost it and got a new one - but do guess it was somehow not lost and somehow went along with me. So there's now two of those IDs in the pocket.
I used to have two state IDs:cry:.

How long has it been since you were in what you refer to as your "home county in New York state"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom