• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My job rehired me again and need some advise

Jena

Hi guys so I need some tips or advice.

So some backstory I reapplied for a seasonal position at a job (this would be my second summer working there). And originally my supervisor told me that they don't have any spots avaliable to meet my needs (which like come on i was literally the first one in on that job fair.)

I asked her why I was denied, but got no reply back

My mom (with the approval of my life coach) went to the head of the job that helped me get the job to begin with. She advised to go to human resoruces because I have Asperger's Syndrome. So that is what she did and got no reply back

And then last Wednesday I get a email from my boss that I am invited back to work there and explain that once they know when they are reopening (due to Covid-19) that they will reach out and set up a meeting to discuss our exceptions of you this season. If you would like to bring someone along to sit on the meeting and assists with paperwork please let us know"

So can someone help me figure out what they mean by expectations? Like I have no idea what they are gonna discuss with me and very nervous and worried and has anyone else experience this before? Any ideas/tips/advice to someone with Aspergers who is pretty nervous for this meeting to happen.

I think they sound like they want to make sure you understand what the work involves, and hear any points you wanto to make about the role and what helps you to do it the best.

I don't know what the work role is, but often some of us would say we work best in a quiet environment, or some might say, we like to have tasks explained so we can take notes, or whatever you find helps you to do your job best. It's good to take a notebook and to write a list of what you find helps, if you do have some ideas on that.

Does the work normally involve paperwork, do you normally need help with paperwork? Eitherway, it could be good to bring a colleague with you, or friend.

Given what they said to you before about not having spots available to meet your needs, is there anything they may have meant by that? Did you have difficulty with anything last year? It would be good to think about anything you had difficulty with and what would help, or whether the role can be adjusted if that's realistic.

It sounds like they are going to tell you the details of the job duties and make sure that you are okay with them.

I think they sound like they want to make sure you understand what the work involves, and hear any points you wanto to make about the role and what helps you to do it the best.

I don't know what the work role is, but often some of us would say we work best in a quiet environment, or some might say, we like to have tasks explained so we can take notes, or whatever you find helps you to do your job best. It's good to take a notebook and to write a list of what you find helps, if you do have some ideas on that.

Does the work normally involve paperwork, do you normally need help with paperwork? Eitherway, it could be good to bring a colleague with you, or friend.

Given what they said to you before about not having spots available to meet your needs, is there anything they may have meant by that? Did you have difficulty with anything last year? It would be good to think about anything you had difficulty with and what would help, or whether the role can be adjusted if that's realistic.

I work as a seasonal zookeeper at a AZA zoo. The only thing that was difficult was communication. For example I told a girl not to run in the aviary and her dad yelled at me cursed at me threaten me all because I wasn’t smiling. I also tend to get stressed out easier on busy days and it doesn’t help when you have coworkers who aren’t there to help you. Especially when you really REALLY need help.

Maybe you should mention the times you really needed help to them. They will get some insight to understand your struggles and will advise you specifically on what to do or not do. There are certain liability issues working in zoos and you should be adequately trained on how to proceed.

I expect you are already working on ways to handle stress, you mentioned a life coach, so you probably can tell them at work what ways you use to help yourself when you feel stressed.

Employers will try to help people with stress, so it's good to explain what helps. It would be good to think about ways you have to help calm yourself, and estimate for yourself the balance of what causes stress?

If they have a problem with other staffs non attendance that stresses staff who attend reliably, then that does need feeding back to them, but also be sure you are aware of how you keep calm at such times. @Aspychata made a good point that they should discuss with you how things should be managed if staff who normally share tasks are absent; what should you prioritise?

I expect you are already working on ways to handle stress, you mentioned a life coach, so you probably can tell them at work what ways you use to help yourself when you feel stressed.

Employers will try to help people with stress, so it's good to explain what helps. It would be good to think about ways you have to help calm yourself, and estimate for yourself the balance of what causes stress?

If they have a problem with other staffs non attendance that stresses staff who attend reliably, then that does need feeding back to them, but also be sure you are aware of how you keep calm at such times. @Aspychata made a good point that they should discuss with you how things should be managed if staff who normally share tasks are absent; what should you prioritise?

thanks, when that meeting happens I'll try to talk about it. Some staff not showing really puts a lot of stress on me. Basically I usually would clean the inside aviary for the budgies. Now that aviary is better to clean with two people cleaning as it has a lot of tasks that need to be done before a certain time. And so often I would be partners with someone who just doesn't show up. To make matters worst, the outside aviary people would get impatient with me and tell me to hurry up (especially for their food, which I can't prep it all unless I have the produce and the produce often times arrives later then it should especially when I am all alone). Which is stressful. Cause some workers just don't show up. And what's worst? Didn't notify the supervisor.

Also one time I was put on a kind of float around the barn task where I just ask people if they need help or clean the barn floor. (which it is so hard to ask if others need help when I am not exaclty close with them luckily I have only one friend there who works there so I ask her if I can help her cause its more comfterble. After we were done though I decdied to sweep up the hay off the floor. Because of my shyness of asking others if I can help them. First these three girls were giving me a hard time cause I was cleaning the floor and that I should do something else. So that made me upset then one of my supervisors came out and told me to help this staff near me. So I went to help this staff and then he shook his head vigerously and waved his finger in my face and pointed outside then I became really upset and went to the bathroom to cry due to overwhelming situation. That was my solution to calm myself. However I came back to my other supervisor yelling at me and accusing me of having a attitude. Which it really wasn't. So yeah I did try my stratedgy last year and it backfired.

Maybe you should mention the times you really needed help to them. They will get some insight to understand your struggles and will advise you specifically on what to do or not do. There are certain liability issues working in zoos and you should be adequately trained on how to proceed.

I worked with budgies, and occassionally goats. So those animals are pretty much safe. (especially budgies). Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try

New Threads

Top Bottom