• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My computer set up

Warwick C

I thought might be interest to discuss our computer set ups and how to get the best out of them

My Processor is

Case Zahman Z5
Power unit Hyena 500 w
mother board Gigabyte F2a55m
Processor Amd A4 5300
Graphics card Ge Force 610 to be replaced by a Ge force 640
Cd player Lg
Ram 8 GB
Operating soft ware Microsoft 7 64 bit

Monitor Philips 190 VW

Windows 7 performance rating 4.9

Last edited:
asus m5a99 evo R.2
Phenom II x4 965
8GB Mushkin
3 or 4 HDDs: using one for Gentoo linux (what I actually use), one for Windows 7, and one's got Linux From Scratch on it, but it's not done yet. There might be another HDD, but I forget at the moment.
2 LG DVDRW drives
Corsair 700W PSU
Canon LIDE flatbed scanner
HP LaserJet Pro 400 color laser
HP 21" LCD monitor

Huge heatsink on my hot-running CPU, which enables me to use a large, slow fan. My system is quiet, unlike my leafblower-sounding builds of the past.

Unlike the gaming beast I built my son, which does sound like a leaf blower, my system is old an decrepit. I really do need to build another, as my GPU's are starting to sag, and hard drives arnt as hard any more.

Unlike the gaming beast I built my son, which does sound like a leaf blower, my system is old an decrepit. I really do need to build another, as my GPU's are starting to sag, and hard drives arnt as hard any more.

There's a pill for that nowadays.

Quite a few of my hardware parts aren't that relevant to mention I think.

Though currently I'm running;
Intel core duo E8400 on a Asus P5LD2-X mainboard with 2 x 2 gb GEiL memory running at the abysmal slow speed of.. I think 800 mhz. I can't be bothered to go look for a new mainboard since my CPU is pretty old by now (so that would mean a new CPU; and probably new memory) and I've only recently upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit, so anything above 3.5 gb got lost in my old 32-bit XP set-up.

My hardrives are, if I'm correct a Spinpoint 1Tb (probably 32 or 64 mb cache) and a Seagate barracuda (64 Mb cache) obviously both running at 7200 rpm. Oh, and I've put a 16 gb flash drive inside, just to have a small and fast, essentially, solid state drive, from which I run some audio software.

Graphicswise I'm running a Radeon HD7770 with 1 Gb memory, which still runs fine. Sound currently goes through a Creative SBX Pro Studio which I got with my headphones. That might be upgraded eventually to a external multi-in/out module for recording purposes. Still undecided what I might settle for.

It's all kept together with 550 watt power supply, though the brand escaped me (which could also be a no-name brand, heh).

So my system is a bit dated, but most stuff runs relatively fine. Right now it's not worth the hassle of upgrading just for playing a few newer games on ultra high settings. I'm too much of a casual gamer (on average I game about an hour a day) to make that top priority. Besides, I found that a lot of performance issues can be solved by tweaking the system a bit.

Wow. I just use a boring ol' laptop, and a Mac at that!. Mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro, i7 2.9GHz, 8GB RAM at 1600 MHz, Intel HD 4000 1024MB, 750GB hard drive (which I wish were larger)—the standard "souped-up" model of the time...But it does absolutely everything I need it to do, even runs games quite well (though I rarely game). I use a Soundblaster X-fi HD for audio. Running Mavericks. The only computer I've owned that I truly love. But the only thing remotely special about it is the stickers, haha...I can't stand the look of that boring and pretentious aluminum.

I'm running a 3.4Ghz i5 on an Asus motherboard with HD audio, 8 Gb of Corsair 1600 Mhz RAM, with a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650Ti video card and a Samsung 840Pro Solid State Drive. Just downloaded Samsung's "SSD Magician" to tweak my drive. Changed my benchmarks from incredibly fast to smokin. Funny to think that my Cooler Master heatsink barely fits my case.

Yeah, I'll take the small SSD over a huge HDD any time. Never built such a fast and quiet system like this before. It was long overdue having run a previous computer on Windows XP I built back in 2002.

You're all talking Greek to me. I have a 6 mos old 15 inch Dell notebook with touchscreen 8 GB is all I know. Sound is more important to me so I have a pair of Bose speakers hooked up. (Gotta love the Bose cause my neighbor, the biatch, hates the Bose with a passion. :p If we had a smiley that looked devilish, I'd a put that one on)

Thats Ok Angela. We all have our own requirements for our computers.

I also have epson 2 in 1 printer/ scanner

I am do pleased I joined this forum, I have built up/ upgraded a computer over the last 3 months. I also learnt what I cannot do due to eye sight
. Buggered up one chip trying to put it in the wrong way (amd).

. Buggered up one chip trying to put it in the wrong way (amd).

Ouch...I can relate to that. I once put in a Pentium CPU and somehow managed to bend about 20% of the tiny pins. Spent an afternoon with a magnifying glass and fine point needle nose pliers to bend the pins back into their proper position. It worked...but I was lucky. I sweated bullets over that one.

I now think it would be easier with an intel chip with the notches on the sides.

I would have to say I now have a new computer, the only thing the same as the
old one is the power unit? I have changed every thing else:)

I have the option of swapping a Radeon HD7770 into it.
Does anyone know when they were released?

not quite as old as I thought then.

Yeah, my Nvidia card was released the same year. I'm more interested in raw benchmarks and reliability than how current a component might be. But then I never built this system as a dedicated gaming computer. Just something to effectively access the Internet using multimedia.

Trying to keep up with software game developers is a lost cause. Learned that years ago working in the industry.

that's is what I am learning that the moment, what is a suitable bench mark.

Mind establishing suitable bench mark for various uses may help others

that's is what I am learning that the moment, what is a suitable bench mark.

Mind establishing suitable bench mark for various uses may help others

Good question. But there are a number of sites you can Google which compare the Nvidia GTX 650Ti to the Radeon HD7770.

I'd consider a higher model than the HD7770...maybe go up one or more "notches". It all still comes down to how you normally and frequently use your computer.

Last edited:
Warwick, I have the Sapphire HD7770 card, and I can tell you that it can fly on an awesome gaming rig specification. I normally get around 40 - 50FPS on Ultra games. Can't wait until I get Titanfall in Easter!

I have both a main gaming PC, and a laptop if I am too tired to go on the computer one week. This week has been one of those weeks! :p

PC Specs
Processor: AMD Athlon II Quad-Core 645 (3.1GHz)
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Graphics Card: Sapphire HD7770 OC 1GB DDR5
Storage: 1TB HDD

Laptop Specs
Processor: Intel i3 Dual-core (2.2GHz)
RAM: 6GB
Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics Family
Storage: 700GB

Ouch...I can relate to that. I once put in a Pentium CPU and somehow managed to bend about 20% of the tiny pins. Spent an afternoon with a magnifying glass and fine point needle nose pliers to bend the pins back into their proper position. It worked...but I was lucky. I sweated bullets over that one.
Omg Judge, dont think ive heard of anyone recovering from that scenario. Nice work

Omg Judge, dont think ive heard of anyone recovering from that scenario. Nice work

Yep. It took one thing more than anything else- extreme patience. Now that I recall it better, it happened because of tugging too hard on the heatsink. Apparently over the years, the thermal paste on the heatsink acted like an adhesive, so when I tried to remove the heatsink I actually was forcing the CPU out of the socket without using the lever to properly release it.

So if you ever encounter any resistance in removing a heatsink.....be aware of the potential damage which can happen. Guess it pays to go light on the thermal paste for just that reason. To spread it very lightly, but evenly over the surface.

Last edited:
Jordan what do you think of Windows 8 on a desk top? do have a touch screen with it?

From what I understand it was designed with touch screen in mind

New Threads

Top Bottom