• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My computer set up

Jordan what do you think of Windows 8 on a desk top? do have a touch screen with it?

From what I understand it was designed with touch screen in mind

Yes, but I rarely use the Start Menu for anything. It's great for gaming though. As games are optimized well to the Windows 8 Eco-system.

Windows 8...oh my. It's my understanding Microsoft is already busy at work to replace Windows 8 or at least create a desktop version more indicative of Windows 7. Don't recall the codename they're using though...

I tried to help my cousin with her new laptop that came with Windows 8. I thought it was ghastly. Nothing intuitive about it as a GUI.

Windows 8...oh my. It's my understanding Microsoft is already busy at work to replace Windows 8 or at least create a desktop version more indicative of Windows 7. Don't recall the codename they're using though...

I tried to help my cousin with her new laptop that came with Windows 8. I thought it was ghastly. Nothing intuitive about it as a GUI.

I am pretty sure they codenamed Windows 8.1 > Windows Blue? I could be wrong. And I agree, I have no use for the Start Menu. I often found myself getting a Windows 7 start menu, with the option of going to the Retro Start Menu in that Start Menu. I believe it is called Start Menu 8.

With regards to the future "Windows 9", it has been codenamed "Threshold".

I am pretty sure they codenamed Windows 8.1 > Windows Blue? I could be wrong. And I agree, I have no use for the Start Menu. I often found myself getting a Windows 7 start menu, with the option of going to the Retro Start Menu in that Start Menu. I believe it is called Start Menu 8.

With regards to the future "Windows 9", it has been codenamed "Threshold".

Ahh.."Threshold". Yeah...seems I heard that not too long ago. Thanks.

Just hope it's a considerable improvement. Otherwise I'm off to Linux or even Mac. Virtually none of my existing software is likely to work on future operating systems. Damn shame...

Ahh.."Threshold". Yeah...seems I heard that not too long ago. Thanks.

Just hope it's a considerable improvement. Otherwise I'm off to Linux or even Mac. Virtually none of my existing software is likely to work on future operating systems. Damn shame...

The fact that Ubuntu is open and free, and that even Steam is jumping on the Linux bandwagon is just one of the reasons why Valve is opening up PC gaming to the wider audience and making the operating system free and accessible. Microsoft is loosing consumers because of this new marketing strategy from Valve. - A company I saw that would never think they'd jump into making their own Operating System based on a free distribution of Linux.

It's a perfect idea. And Microsoft need to put their ideas into perspective if they want to succeed any further. They succeeded with Windows 8.1 being a free upgrade from Windows 8. Similar to that of in OS X. And I think the average consumer would agree that Microsoft and Apple have always had similar marketing strategies.

Although, if Windows 9 is supposedly going to change back to the old style that Windows 7 users had. Then purchasers of Windows 8 products are going to feel cheated by them changing a change that already existed in it's predecessor operating system. So Microsoft can't win either way.

I also think part of it is telling people what they want. I don't know what the situation is with touch screens, but they may have been counting on that as well.

At some stage I will have to get software for my 2nd computer.

That's Ok Sportster it fits your needs, that is what counts in the end. until they cut off support for windows Xp

Actually, I thought they already cut support. I've not been able to get on their site for updates since the first of the year. In fact, I got on once and let it go. It just kept "checking" (or whatever it is it's doing), but never downloaded a thing after about 30 minutes. The thing preventing me from getting a new machine is I've heard they're all loaded with Widows 8 and everyone is telling me to stay away from 8.

The official date is April 8, 2014. I've gotten updates up until recently on my old system. Do you have service pack 3 property installed?

Well, I suppose you can always buy a new computer and strip it of Windows 8 and purchase Windows 7 and install it accordingly. At least with Windows 7 (64 bit) I am still able to run some of my older software.

Last edited:
installing is reasonably easy, it is just the time and updates that are annoying. Oh and the hard to read license key(depends upon your eye sight)

Much to my surprise, I was able to finally connect with the MS site today. Surprisingly, there weren't as many updates as I had expected. Most were security updates and malicious software removal tools. Still, I should upgrade to 7 if I can; I don't know if my machine is set up to handle 7. I'd rather not have to buy a new machine if I can upgrade the OS, but I can't help but wonder how much longer this machine is going to last.

I think there's an MS program you can download that will assess your hardware compatibility with Windows 7.

One thing I have to say though is that the transition from Windows XP to Windows 7 was effortless. Almost a year later and I still haven't bothered to buy a book on the OS. Not much of a need to.

I have had an e mail as to my messed up order, they found one as I had ordered but no box for it, and I have a box for one. I had to send the box and wrong part back this morning, they supplied a box and packaging and a courier label for me to send it back. So they will be trying to correct the error.

I am looking to up mine to 16 GB with G.Skill Ripsaw memory sticks later on. One step at a time

I have no experience with Windows 8, but my brother really, really loves it. I guess it's just not for everyone (most?).

My computer specs are:

AMD Phenom II X4 970 @ 3.5 GHz
MSI 870a Fuzion motherboard
EVGA GTX 760
8 GB of G.Skill RAM
250 GB San Disk SSD
1 TB Western Digital 7200 RPM HDD
750w Corsair PSU
Antec Nine Hundred Two case

Peripherals:

Gateway 24" LED monitor 1920 x 1080
Hanns-G 19" LCD monitor 1600 x 900
Max Nighthawk X8 mechanical keyboard
Steelseries Sensei RAW mouse
Sennheiser HD 555 headphones
Wacom Bamboo Pen drawing tablet (not currently plugged in)

Planning a big system upgrade soon. Getting a new case, power supply, and an i7-3770K (and of course a mobo to go with it) as well as putting more RAM in.

New Threads

Top Bottom