• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Musically Talented Aspies

Tyler Ford

I thought I would make a thread for other Aspies who find enjoyment in listening to, writing or producing music. I love doing all three. :D I find it easier to release my emotions than when I talk to other people. As a teen with Asperger's, I'm still very socially awkward and people have called me "lame", " boring", "queer" and "odd". I write the songs based on what is racing through my mind at the time. I have written my songs on a wide variety of topics - loneliness, comfort, romance, etc...

I love music. I've never really tried to write a song, but I still love to relate music to my emotions. I'm in my "Daft Punk, deadmau5, Sleep Party People" mood.

I'm in a "Lady Gaga, Eminem, Daft Punk, Britney Spears" type mood. I always find a way to connect music with my emotions. I know it's strange but I like personal music sometimes.

Hi Tyler! I also like to write, record and produce music. There have been a few threads to this effect on here--always nice to see a new one!

Music is one of my main special interests. I'd got a few ideas for Daft Punk-esque electronic tunes, but I've got a tax bill to pay before I can upgrade my gear. I'd love to get a modern synth module--right now I've got right now an old Roland analog that will be turning 30 soon, and needs to be cleaned out by a professional.

These days I'm writing and recording songs in a pop-rock vein, arranged primarily for a drums-bass-guitar-piano combo. If you click on the one media thing I've posted, you'll find video of a drum track I recorded for one of my new tunes.

Music is one of my two, primary special interests/obsessions/addictions. I listen to music, 24/7 and it profoundly affects my life, my mood, my emotions, state of mind and over-all existence. I am a vocalist (not by profession) and presently I sing in the Concert Choir at the college I am attending, just for personal pleasure (while I'm studying design). I prefer to sing Jazz, Classic and Progressive Rock and some Classical. I play both, guitar and piano, however, at a very basic level. I have only written two songs in my lifetime and, although I like to write, generally speaking, writing songs is definitely not my forte : )

Last edited:
Hi Tyler, although I'm not very musical myself, my son who is also an aspie, has extraordinary talent. Music has introduced him to people and opportunities, and have levelled the educational playing field for him. It is the drive that extends him beyond his condition, and has others seeing him with something to offer. I can't say enough about how music turned his life around. There is nothing more rewarding than to tell your son "follow your dream", and them watching do exactly that. Music will be his chosen career, of that I am certain

I have a very strong interest in music that I've had since I was about 6 years old, I tend to favour electric guitar based music more than anything else. That's why my musical taste is, and always has been, quite old fashioned.

Been playing electric guitars a lot for a very long time - I don't think the word "talented" applies to me, I think the phrase "well rehearsed" is more appropriate.

Hi Daniel! Music is one of my obsessions too. :) I have done a few Lady Gaga/DJ Zedd style songs, a few Beyoncé style songs and a couple of Skrillex style songs. The songs I write are dance pop, techno, EDM, electronic rock and R&B. My new song is probably going to be in the style of Lady Gaga, DJ Zedd and DJ White Shadow. It's called "Private In Public" and it is similar to Lady Gaga's song "Poker Face", but it is in a more futuristic and ethereal EDM/electropop type tune.

Eve, music is my obsession too! ^^ I'm always listening to Lady Gaga and Eminem as I can relate to them better than most of the artists. My grandma says I ramble on too much about Lady Gaga lol. I prefer singing progressive house, techno, EDM (electronic dance music), R&B, jazz, and hip hop. I can play piano and drums but the drums annoy me sometimes because I hate loud noises. :( I can play some Lady Gaga songs on the piano - "Just Dance", " Applause", "Dope" and "MANiCURE".

Turk, music has always been one of my obsessions. Usually, it helps me get in a better mood when I feel sad, and it has even inspired me to produce and write my own music. My grandma says I can't make a living being a singer but what she doesn't know is that I want to follow my dream. I feel like my family is pressuring me into something I DON'T want to be... I hope I can pursue my career as being a musician though it will take a lot of practice for me to try to communicate with people better.

Axeman, I've been playing piano for about a year now. So far, I know a little more than the basic skills needed to play piano. I'm into today's electronic music. I admit that it's one of my strong suits.

I wouldn't describe myself as talented, but I take great enjoyment of music. I love singing, and have been trying to learn the guitar for over a year now. I might not sound amazing, but it brightens my life.

I have a very strong interest in music that I've had since I was about 6 years old, I tend to favour electric guitar based music more than anything else. That's why my musical taste is, and always has been, quite old fashioned.

Been playing electric guitars a lot for a very long time - I don't think the word "talented" applies to me, I think the phrase "well rehearsed" is more appropriate.

Re: "well rehearsed" vs. "talented"--this was the central thesis of Malcolm Gladwell's book, Outliers. That those we perceive as being talented get to that level by putting in more (and better) practice than the rest, and the effort is what makes the difference.

I'd say that's especially true where the guitar is concerned--there's no substitute for the woodshedding you need to do to work all those chords, scales and riffs into your hands' muscle memory.

(It is not my intention to hijack this thread into a discussion of natural talent vs. hard work! I recently had one of those on a Facebook comments thread lol. The love of music is what matters, I'd say.)

Yeah, I'm actually in the process of making a song for a music album I'm creating. It may end up as the first single of the album with personal/heartfelt lyrics and an equally interesting video.

I should point out that Gladwell's point in Outliers has not been supported by the scientific evidence - Practice Not As Important As Believed For Success | Popular Science

Aside from that, I have a very musical background...studied since I was nine, went to a prestigious arts school...and then got utterly burnt out and quit outright.

However, I still play other instruments, and I get great joy from listening to (and singing along in harmony with) various kinds of music. If anything, my musical horizons have greatly expanded since I left the actual biz.

Ever since I became a teenager, my musical horizons expanded dramatically. I used to like country music (which I loathe now) to liking pop, rock, alternative pop (techno, EDM, D'n'B, electropop), R&B, hip hop, jazz, reggae and piano balladd

As some others; I don't know if "talented" applies to me. Neither does well-rehearsed though, lol. I do a lot of musical things on a whim, though I do know enough in terms of mixing, producing, recording within some DAW's and such to not be clueless to what I'm actually doing. Every once in a while if friends are over I'll just experiment a bit with friends as spectators... and it probably looks like a madman doing random things... though it seemingly comes together in the end.

I've been in a few local bands before, none with any signifcant success though. It also made me realize that such undertakings are not for me at all and I rather do solo things.

Though currently I'm sidelined a bit. I'm out of inspiration and motivation... and I feel that I just need some software to get going again. But as with many of these things; they're not cheap (and while I could probably download; I guess I should eventually bite the bullet and support a company like that).

Well, over the past day or so, I have had inspiration for a new song and a personal video. :) It's for a project I'm doing for my Digital Arts and Design class at school but it will be included on the album I'm currently creating.

New Threads

Top Bottom