• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

MRI scan results show i am okay or doctor is useless.

OrdinaryCitizen

I have memory issues, confuse words, diffidently forming long sentences, since i was child i can remember myself only started speaking clearly around age of 16.

Went to neurologist who did not even want to make a brain scan, i insisted and got MRI scan, he said he see nothing wrong with me.
I have copy of MRI scan with me, but no idea how to interpret the images myself.

Does someone know of a doctor who can see my brain scan and tell me if he find anything wrong, if no where would i look for such person?

A board-certified radiologist is qualified to interpret an MRI. I suggest you contact the neurologist's office and request that a copy of the radiologist's report for the MRI be sent to you. It usually is called the radiology report for the MRI.

Even if the MRI is "normal" and doesn't show any structural abnormalities, it doesn't mean that you don't have memory and other cognitive problems.

Last edited:
Oh gosh, I am so tired of the words "Normal Range". It's usually a combination of slight deviations, within what is considered normal range, that affects our health. What we consider to be modern medicine has only been around for about a hundred years. We're still in the stone age, really. A lot of what our physicians practice today, will be seen in a hundred years as the equivalent of mercury and leeches.

I agree with @Mary Terry . Get a printout of the report, and a second opinion.

An MRI will only show structural differences and tumours, an EEG will measure brain wave patterns.

I have memory issues, confuse words, diffidently forming long sentences, since i was child i can remember myself only started speaking clearly around age of 16.

Went to neurologist who did not even want to make a brain scan, i insisted and got MRI scan, he said he see nothing wrong with me.
I have copy of MRI scan with me, but no idea how to interpret the images myself.

Does someone know of a doctor who can see my brain scan and tell me if he find anything wrong, if no where would i look for such person?
I'm assuming that they just had you lay in the MRI and they didn't ask you to say anything at all, or recite something?

As @Aneka said, an MRI won't tell your doctor much, unless there's some form of injury or structural anomalies.

An MRI can be useful to see how regions of your brain increase in activity, but this is an active process, more like "video" than "photography", unless I'm confusing it with something else.

Its a bit like trying to figure out a fault with a cars engine without trying to run it.

I had a scare yesterday. Suspected a TIA with dizziness where i nearly passed out and persistent vertigo. Got a CAT scan with dye and a stenosis (narrowing artery) was suspected. My neurologist requested an MRI which happily showed all was OK. I have a follow up with him.

I had a scare yesterday. Suspected a TIA with dizziness where i nearly passed out and persistent vertigo. Got a CAT scan with dye and a stenosis (narrowing artery) was suspected. My neurologist requested an MRI which happily showed all was OK. I have a follow up with him.

I'm glad you're okay. That was a scary scenario.

I recently felt like my heart was racing and my blood pressure seemed high. My GP (and husband) referred me to a cardiologist who sent me for a PET scan with contrast to look at how my heart was performing and whether I had stenosis. Various drugs were injected into me through IVs to stress my heart while observations were made. Long story short, my heart is fine, I have minimal stenosis and I do not have elevated blood pressure. Even though my cholesterol and triglycerides are fine, the cardiologist prescribed a low dose statin as a maintenance drug to "prevent" the buildup of plaque. I'm doing okay for an old lady. ;)

The shocker was that the PET scan cost Medicare $32,000. No wonder our country is broke!

I'm glad you're okay. That was a scary scenario.

I recently felt like my heart was racing and my blood pressure seemed high. My GP (and husband) referred me to a cardiologist who sent me for a PET scan with contrast to look at how my heart was performing and whether I had stenosis. Various drugs were injected into me through IVs to stress my heart while observations were made. Long story short, my heart is fine, I have minimal stenosis and I do not have elevated blood pressure. Even though my cholesterol and triglycerides are fine, the cardiologist prescribed a low dose statin as a maintenance drug to "prevent" the buildup of plaque. I'm doing okay for an old lady. ;)

The shocker was that the PET scan cost Medicare $32,000. No wonder our country is broke!
Glad that you are OK and the stress test revealed no infarct! I had major surgery last November. After surgery to reduce scar tissue in my urethra due to prostate surgery, I was bleeding into my bladder and the catheter became blocked. I presented with level 9 pain and this continued for 10 hours before a urology team corrected things. I had a 600 ml blood clot in my bladder.

I had chest pains from the stress and then cardiology got involved. I received a stress test which revealed nothing and they sent me to the cath lab which found 80% blockage in the left anterior descending artery, the "widowmaker." Open heart surgery corrected this and now I am doing fine. But coming out of that surgery felt like I had been run over by a bus, repeatedly. I measured my recovery in the hospital by the tubes and wires that were being yanked out of my chest.

Good luck to you and stay active.

I agree with @Mary Terry . Get a printout of the report, and a second opinion.
I have a CD with MRI scan where do i get an secondary opinion?

A board-certified radiologist is qualified to interpret an MRI.
How do i get a hold of this guys? In the clinic where i got MRI done i guess they only have qualified operators of MRI at best.

An MRI will only show structural differences and tumours, an EEG will measure brain wave patterns.
Any other suggestions, when i mentioned memory problems to psychiatrist she said she have no device or ability to look into my head to see if i have any organic brain damage, i need to go to neurologist, and neurologist as soon as i mentioned memory problems said i should see a psychiatrist.

I'm assuming that they just had you lay in the MRI and they didn't ask you to say anything at all, or recite something?
No they only did imaging inside MRI scanner, not attach anything to my head.

"Dye" is actually radioactive liquid they inject in your bloodstream to add more contrast on CAT scan. I'd be careful with that... Perhaps cleans your body eat well for next few month's.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom