• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mom Doesn't See That Essential Oils Don't Help me at All...

Perhaps. But legally they remain the only apparent alternative he has that he can purchase as a minor.

As far as placebos go, if they achieve the desired effect, does it truly matter that the substance in question constitutes a placebo?
Not at all :) If a person BELIEVES that the item can help them, sure, go for it, but not at the expense of delaying actual treatment for something serious and chronic (which some people do). I understand that he's a minor and he is limited in things he can legally obtain. I just didn't want there to be the advocation of another 'treatment' that is not going to work (on top of the oils) when he is clearly suffering.

Valerian is often sold here as homeopathy

Homeopathy dilutes the substance to the point that it's almost undetectable in the solution. Valerian root capsules are sold in undiluted form and are not presented as homeopathy where I am. :) It's a herbal remedy.

Not at all :) If a person BELIEVES that the item can help them, sure, go for it, but not at the expense of delaying actual treatment for something serious and chronic (which some people do). I understand that he's a minor and he is limited in things he can legally obtain. I just didn't want there to be the advocation of another 'treatment' that is not going to work (on top of the oils) when he is clearly suffering.

I think that's part of the crux of this issue. Whether or not his condition really is serious and/or chronic. If his mother has only come up with homeopathic oils, you have to wonder just how serious this really is. Not to mention that poor sleep patterns for many of us on the spectrum of autism remain a condition we must deal with for a lifetime. With or without medication.

Of course only his doctor can truly determine any of this for certain.

Homeopathy dilutes the substance to the point that it's almost undetectable in the solution. Valerian root capsules are sold in undiluted form and are not presented as homeopathy where I am. :) It's a herbal remedy.
I said sold as, it's more of a buzzword here

It's not nonsense. I used to wash my hair with essential oils diluted in water and soap (Not sure but I used a mix of Lavender/Tea tree/Mint and one other that I forgot). That stuff knocked me out after a shower. It was actually quite annoying how sleepy I would get from it.

Most likely you are using the wrong oils or they are cheap diluted stuff (possibly not even oils but synthetic). It's also possible you need more than just a bit of aromatherapy to fall asleep.

I used to have sleeping issues and went to my physician for pills (basicly what you want) the doctor asked me about what I was doing before sleeping and what kind of pattern I had. I got pretty pissed because he refused to give me sleeping pills and told me to stop using the computer for 1-2 hours before sleeping and to use candlelight bulbs (So no "warm white" etc bulbs). I thought it was a bunch of nonsense but it really worked. Nowadays it's good enough for me to do something calm (reading etc) while on the computer, but the blue light from computer screens really messes up the brain chemistry that gets you to sleep.

Not sure if you are already doing that but it's a legitimate fix if you aren't. Also keep similar sleeping times each day (going from sleeping at 11 PM to 8 PM will obviously leave you awake for 2-3 hours).

I can't remember the last time I got a good night's sleep. Many years- even decades for certain. :eek:

From age 18 on, I discovered that I could nod politely at my mother's and grandmother's bizarre advice, thank them, and then go do my own thing.

Can you tell your Mom that you want to put the oils on yourself, then just not?

Not to mention that poor sleep patterns for many of us on the spectrum of autism remain a condition we must deal with for a lifetime.

That's really interesting, I didn't know that. I've had sleeping issues for a very long time, even as a child I'd wake up many times at night not really knowing why. For the last 15 years I've had trouble falling asleep, it would take more than an hour most of the time. Is it really to do with ASD?

That's really interesting, I didn't know that. I've had sleeping issues for a very long time, even as a child I'd wake up many times at night not really knowing why. For the last 15 years I've had trouble falling asleep, it would take more than an hour most of the time. Is it really to do with ASD?

Tough question to answer given so many variables as a potential result of comorbid conditions. ;)

In my own case I've always likened awakening like a hard drive booting up. Where I can't stop the process of my mind "moving a mile a minute". Making getting back to sleep inherently difficult. When I consider many of my own sensory issues, it would stand to reason. As if I was "a spring simply wound too tight". :oops:

Though if you search through this forum you'll find any number of similar comments.

Last edited:
Melatonin supplements are enough for me. You've tried that, I assume? Sorry if I missed it somewhere.

Is medication a long-term solution for insomnia? I really don't know, sleep has never been a major issue for me.

I know all about a parent not letting you take a medication.. but you see a psychiatrist, so you do take medication. She is only against sleep medication? Sorry if I missed an explanation for that too somewhere...

My best recommendation is to rotate using melatonin with using diphenhydramine (the active ingredient in a standard over the counter sleep aid) and to do so very sparingly. They lose effectiveness when they are used every night and/or when you take large doses. Neither one is habit forming or otherwise damaging to your health.

Some oils have been proven scientifically to help you sleep. (by acting on the nervous system when applied in the right spots. Your skin is a sponge, it absorbs things. some also through inhaling). Problem is those are few and far between and they get lumped in with the pseudo science subjectivity.

Mugwort is a herb which induces lucid dreams. Whether in it's raw form or oil it's effects jump into action by simply inhaling it's scent.

pseudo science? How many are smugly rubbing their hands together with this thought, having never, ever looked into it??
Well.. It's not pseudo science. The active component in Mugwort which achieves the effect is called thujone. After crushing up the leaves, thujone becomes airborne which you then breath in and it is then allocated to certain areas of the brain through this easily permeable entrance (nasal cavity) which then has certain effects on you.
... science.

Lol
But ya if you want something that is scientifically proven to help you sleep / calm your nervous system do some research and study. Otherwise you'll never know what's really scientifically proven or not and you'll be like everyone else who dismisses everything based on popular opinion. and be weary of the subjectivity. (Being individuals who find a certain scent calming then brand it that way for all)

All of the following is proven to help you sleep.
- Visualization combined with vibrating mantras or affirmations works quite well if done properly.
- Self hypnosis
- you could look into what herbs or plants have sedative properties, likewise there will be oils that have this too. Fully study and understand any possible risks.
- Exercise your butt off several hours before bed / drain your excess energy to near exhaustion
- Binaural beats / alter your brainwaves to knock you out
- Reduce how much bluelight you take in through your eyes an hour before bed / prep the primitive part of your brain for sleep
- Last resort - drugs.
- chloroform. dangerous don't use this.

Hey, my mom thinks essential oils aren't a waste of money when it comes to keeping me calm and helping me sleep. I usually end up falling asleep 2 hours, 30 minutes after I get in bed. However, withe the oils... Nothing is really changed, if at all. I really just want to actually take something that would be more effective in helping me sleep, such as, you know, prescription drugs, but she says that she has heard stories of people "doing crazy stuff because they took it."

I believe she is being irrational, and all of those stories are just rare cases, or made up entirely just to give MLM companies more money. I don't need any natural crap. I need something that is, you know, ACTUALLY SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN TO HELP PEOPLE FALL ASLEEP!

Ironically, here is what actually helps me sleep: Shoving all my covers except for my weighted blanket to close to the edge of my bed, forming a pile with them, cover myself with only the weighted blanket, putting one of the pillows onto the side of the pile, rest my head on that pillow, and keep the other pillow at the other end and use that as a footrest. That causes me to fall asleep in an hour and a half. Maybe an hour if I am lucky.

I believe my mom also didn't really do her research. I highly doubt that those natural oils really help do anything they claim to do at all. They don't. None of them do.

Also, believe it or not, pharmacy companies actually do want to help people, not just make money, they just need to put a price on everything they provide so that they can continue providing it.

How can I tell my mom to actually do her research instead of hearing what is basically propaganda? After all, MLM=Moms Losing Money.

Seriously, she has only been listening to fear-mongering, yet does not give me any evidence that this oily crap does anything. It doesn't at all.

I refuse to use oils of any kind at all anymore, unless I just want my room to smell decent in case a friend who I met via my online school comes over. Other than that, I do not want to use these over-glorified perfumes at all.

I am so irritated with this natural crap.

Actually, prescription drugs = anaesthetic. You dont feel like you sleep. You just pass out. Like in the surgery. And no, it doesnt remove you of your tiredness, like real sleep does.

Those drugs are not medicine. Just a temporary tool to help you adjust your sleep time.

I know, because my partner was insomniac too. What help him are, learning to some kind of breathing properly, like meditation,.. Specific exercise, stretching. Define the space - space to relax (no work is allowed in that space), and space to sleep (for sleeping only). And yes, lavender oil also helped him.

And I agree with the above poster about prepping yourself to sleep. My partner also does the whole prepping - release himself of any work-related thoughts (these thoughts make him cannot sleep) by laying on his favourite relax spot in the house (that spot is his, and only for relaxing/exercising) while playing some games. After that, he will do breathing meditation, stretching, and exercises for some time (about one or two hours maybe?). Then at similar time everyday, he'll go laying on bed, again with the breathing meditation, for quite some time.

So, it does take time to prep for sleep.

The point is, to reduce yourself of stress. And choose to do it by yourself.

All the above, was researched and chosen to do by my partner himself, not me or anyone instructing him to do so. Maybe because you feel nagged by your mom, it's not your own will, then you feel stress about it, maybe that's why it doesnt work.

Please spare your mom. From what you said, she's caring about you, and seems like she did research.

Last edited:
Oh i forgot to mention, sleep drugs are addictive. You need to be really careful not to depend on it. Because it's just merely a tool to help you adjust your sleep schedule. Not a medicine.

But some (many?) people always end up depending on it, like narcotics. That's not a solution to a sleep problem. That's just adding problems to an already problematic life.

Hey, my mom thinks essential oils aren't a waste of money when it comes to keeping me calm and helping me sleep. I usually end up falling asleep 2 hours, 30 minutes after I get in bed. However, withe the oils... Nothing is really changed, if at all. I really just want to actually take something that would be more effective in helping me sleep, such as, you know, prescription drugs, but she says that she has heard stories of people "doing crazy stuff because they took it."

I believe she is being irrational, and all of those stories are just rare cases, or made up entirely just to give MLM companies more money. I don't need any natural crap. I need something that is, you know, ACTUALLY SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN TO HELP PEOPLE FALL ASLEEP!

Ironically, here is what actually helps me sleep: Shoving all my covers except for my weighted blanket to close to the edge of my bed, forming a pile with them, cover myself with only the weighted blanket, putting one of the pillows onto the side of the pile, rest my head on that pillow, and keep the other pillow at the other end and use that as a footrest. That causes me to fall asleep in an hour and a half. Maybe an hour if I am lucky.

I believe my mom also didn't really do her research. I highly doubt that those natural oils really help do anything they claim to do at all. They don't. None of them do.

Also, believe it or not, pharmacy companies actually do want to help people, not just make money, they just need to put a price on everything they provide so that they can continue providing it.

How can I tell my mom to actually do her research instead of hearing what is basically propaganda? After all, MLM=Moms Losing Money.

Seriously, she has only been listening to fear-mongering, yet does not give me any evidence that this oily crap does anything. It doesn't at all.

I refuse to use oils of any kind at all anymore, unless I just want my room to smell decent in case a friend who I met via my online school comes over. Other than that, I do not want to use these over-glorified perfumes at all.

Sorry, re-reading your post, maybe i misunderstood what you said.

So, your mom is spending more & more money on essential oils? Not just one or two times? For you, or for her?

Hopefully she doesnt continuously spend lots of money on that something too much..

Because aspies/asd are like sensory type, your sensory/body is sensitive to stimulants - even small sound can wake you up.

A few years ago my wife was on an Essential Oils kick and I did some research. Rigorous and thorough scientific testing (done by the essential oil sellers, using test groups of as many as ten pre-selected people) proved that essential oils treated and cured every disease and condition known to medical science, including several hundred problems not yet discovered. So rest easy knowing your mother was right (according to the essential oil sellers).

Just so there is no confusion, sometimes I lay the sarcasm on so thick it is difficult to see the sarcasm.

This announcement on Twitter from this morning might be of interest to some on this thread.

AutSleep.png

Sorry, re-reading your post, maybe i misunderstood what you said.

So, your mom is spending more & more money on essential oils? Not just one or two times? For you, or for her?

Hopefully she doesnt continuously spend lots of money on that something too much..
She has spent money on it for basically everybody in the house, including pets.

New Threads

Top Bottom