• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mom Doesn't See That Essential Oils Don't Help me at All...

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
Hey, my mom thinks essential oils aren't a waste of money when it comes to keeping me calm and helping me sleep. I usually end up falling asleep 2 hours, 30 minutes after I get in bed. However, withe the oils... Nothing is really changed, if at all. I really just want to actually take something that would be more effective in helping me sleep, such as, you know, prescription drugs, but she says that she has heard stories of people "doing crazy stuff because they took it."

I believe she is being irrational, and all of those stories are just rare cases, or made up entirely just to give MLM companies more money. I don't need any natural crap. I need something that is, you know, ACTUALLY SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN TO HELP PEOPLE FALL ASLEEP!

Ironically, here is what actually helps me sleep: Shoving all my covers except for my weighted blanket to close to the edge of my bed, forming a pile with them, cover myself with only the weighted blanket, putting one of the pillows onto the side of the pile, rest my head on that pillow, and keep the other pillow at the other end and use that as a footrest. That causes me to fall asleep in an hour and a half. Maybe an hour if I am lucky.

I believe my mom also didn't really do her research. I highly doubt that those natural oils really help do anything they claim to do at all. They don't. None of them do.

Also, believe it or not, pharmacy companies actually do want to help people, not just make money, they just need to put a price on everything they provide so that they can continue providing it.

How can I tell my mom to actually do her research instead of hearing what is basically propaganda? After all, MLM=Moms Losing Money.

Seriously, she has only been listening to fear-mongering, yet does not give me any evidence that this oily crap does anything. It doesn't at all.

I refuse to use oils of any kind at all anymore, unless I just want my room to smell decent in case a friend who I met via my online school comes over. Other than that, I do not want to use these over-glorified perfumes at all.

I am so irritated with this natural crap.

If you have a doc, can you talk to the doc without your mom there and have them write you a script?

Or call the office and tel them you need to speak w the doc without your mom?

Or write them a letter?

If your mom is not letting you fill a script, that is something you may want to let the doc know as well.

If you have a doc, can you talk to the doc without your mom there and have them write you a script?

Or call the office and tel them you need to speak w the doc without your mom?

Or write them a letter?

If your mom is not letting you fill a script, that is something you may want to let the doc know as well.
I am 15, if that changes anything. I'd prefer to have something that is proven to help scientifically.

Sadly if you polled this particular audience, I suspect you'd find a great deal of us who routinely find it difficult to get to sleep no matter how little sleep we may have had in the last 24 hours.

Looks like it will be another year before you're eligible to consent to medical treatment for yourself, without a parent's input. At that point you can discuss realistic and ethical options in terms of prescription sedatives. But just understand that the medical services industry as a whole is under tremendous pressure not to prescribe such things to much of anyone unless there is a dire need, no matter what your age may be.

In the meantime however, there are any number of homeopathic remedies to be considered which are completely outside the realm of prescription drugs that are under so much scrutiny now. Though I can understand your mother's reticence to even consider prescription sedatives at your age.

Lots out there in terms of homeopathic remedies. Though don't expect much of any of them to elaborate on scrutiny based on FDA standards. Why not begin to google them and see what options you have that won't freak out your mother. Even something like Chamomile Tea might work for you before bedtime. Just try to understand her concern in limiting the scope of such options. It really is in your best interest if possible to avoid prescription level sedatives.

South Carolina Legal Ages Laws - FindLaw

Well at least it's not esoterics she is trying to push into you, like mine...

Did you try to get non prescribtion drugs for sleep?

Looks like it will be another year before you're eligible to consent to medical treatment for yourself, without a parent's input.
You could also try to make the doctor try to convince your mother about that

You are correct, essential oils are a waste of money and time. They're unregulated and who knows what they're made of. Just make sure you don't ingest them. Maybe make a case for their smell disturbing you so that she may stop because of an actual problem you're having rather than cold hard logic that they're trash.

There are natural remedies that could make falling asleep easier, like valerian root, which is said to be good for anxiety too. It's too mild for me personally, but doesn't hurt to give it a try. I've had to resort to techniques like forcing images to start developing (like they do in dreams) to fall asleep, it doesn't always work though. It can still take an hour or two before I actually fall asleep unless I'm extremely tired.

Ouch. That might prove to be legally precarious under such circumstances to attempt to intervene in what is likely considered to be a non-critical concern.

Not to mention that you have to factor in all the legal pressures exerted on doctors not to prescribe such medications if they aren't truly warranted. Attempting to circumvent parental authority in such a way could result in a professional liability suit filed by a parent against the doctor.

Ouch. That might prove to be legally precarious under such circumstances.
Isn't it kinda normal for doctors to go around and try to convince parents, provided they actually are convinced themselves about that.

Isn't it kinda normal for doctors to go around and try to convince parents, provided they actually are convinced themselves about that.

No, not when you consider the liability environment relative to professionals and minors as patients.

Again, you have to consider all the legal and governmental pressure now being exerted on the medical community as a whole to refrain from prescribing such medications.

It's a different ballgame now given a nationwide opiate crisis. No telling how much of this concern can spill over into other areas of medicine such as prescribing even mild sedatives to minors. But when he is 16 or 17 according to his state's laws, then it all takes a more relaxed approach legally speaking. However this in no way guarantees a doctor who is willing to prescribe such a thing. It just means that he will technically have independent access to his doctor, leaving him to argue his predicament in person.

"Finally, a 16 or 17 year old can consent to health services for himself or herself. Another person, such as his or her parent, will only be consulted when a procedure is essential to the health or life of the child according to the doctor and a consulting physician, if available."

Last edited:
I see a psychiatrist who helps me and my mother sort out my medication. I am pretty sure I can bring it up with him, even if my mom is in the room with me. He will be able to convince her, since she'll be getting a professional view on it from him.
Yeah, usually. Since parents are actually kinda stubborn and sometimes don't want to listen to medical advice.

No, not when you consider the liability environment relative to professionals and minors as patients.
As I said, it is the doctor's jobs to tell the parents the facts. So, yes. It is legal.
Again, you have to consider all the legal and governmental pressure now being exerted on the medical community as a whole to refrain from prescribing such medications. It's a different ballgame now given a nationwide opiate crisis.
Actually, opiates were created as a pain medication, not sleep meds. Whole different thing right here.

As I said, it is the doctor's jobs to tell the parents the facts. So, yes. It is legal.

Actually, opiates were created as a pain medication, not sleep meds. Whole different thing right here.

Good luck making that distinction to the legal and medical bureaucracy. Especially when some bureaucrats believe that prescription level sedatives serve as "gateway drugs" to more potent medications. This may also include even any number of comparable OTC products that are out there as well. Not to mention whether or not a particular physician is or has crossed such a line in prescribing such things to others.

It all comes down to what individual doctors and administrators you are dealing with, along with sensitive relationships to federal and state authorities and regulators, apart from their malpractice insurers. In essence this isn't anywhere near as "cut and dry" as you perceive it to be.

The pressure being placed upon physicians by the authorities is unprecedented at this point in time. This is what you are dealing with, especially as a minor. Where there will likely be inherent legal momentum to avoid administering you much of any substance on a prescription basis.

Again, read the exact wording of your state's laws relative to medical services to minors in South Carolina that I quoted a few posts back:

"will only be consulted when a procedure is essential to the health or life of the child according to the doctor and a consulting physician, if available."

In terms of what is ultimately deemed "legal", that's a matter left up to the authorities. Not yourself. You're still just a boy with very limited rights under the present circumstances in your particular state.

Last edited:
Good luck making that distinction to the legal and medical bureaucracy. Especially when some bureaucrats believe that prescription sedatives serve as "gateway drugs" to more potent medications. Not to mention whether or not a particular physician is or has crossed such a line in prescribing such things to others.
Sedatives aren't commercially available, and always administered with injection.
It all comes down to what individuals and administrators you are dealing with.
Yeah, lack of SLEEP, which is a very important problem to deal with.
The pressure being placed upon physicians by the authorities is unprecedented at this point in time.
Umm, I said psychiatrist, did I not? Two completely different things, sir.
This is what you are dealing with, especially as a minor. Where there will be inherent legal momentum to avoid administering you much of any substance on a prescription basis.
As I said, opiates are NOT sleep medication at all, and they are not sedatives.
Again, read the exact wording of your state's laws relative to medical services to minors that I quoted a few posts back:
Yeah, I did. It only applies to other types of medication.
"will only be consulted when a procedure is essential to the health or life of the child according to the doctor and a consulting physician, if available."
Correction again: PSYCHIATRIST! I see a psychiatrist. I am also saying that I am consulting HIM, not the other way around. Believe it or not, this only applies to non-sleep medications that are only allowed to be prescribed by physicians.

I wish I didn't have to take prescription pills to sleep at night, but alternative medicine is nothing but a bunch of flowery, hippie nonsense.

Sedatives aren't commercially available, and always administered with injection.

There are countless OTC sleep aids that don't involve injections available an adult can purchase from most any drug retailer. Those likely regulated by the FDA as opposed to homeopathic remedies.

As far as the technical distinction between a sleep aid and a sedative, that just depends on the pharmaceutical substance in question. But my point is there are OTC alternatives whether approved by your doctor or your mother. Though it wouldn't surprise me if one of both discourages such a consideration.

Your guide to over-the-counter sleep aids

Try homeopathic remedies before you resort to pharmaceuticals. Getting adequate physical exercise every day would help you, too. Have you actually tried any non-drug tactics other than stinky essential oils?

Try homeopathic remedies before you resort to pharmaceuticals.
Homeopathy is as useless as essential oils, sorry. The dilution of anything in there is so small, that it may as well be called water. The effects on the individuals who take them are due to a placebo effect, at best.

Homeopathy is as useless as essential oils, sorry. The dilution of anything in there is so small, that it may as well be called water. The effects on the individuals who take them are due to a placebo effect, at best.

Perhaps. But legally they remain the only apparent alternative he has that he can purchase as a minor.

As far as placebos go, if they achieve the desired effect only on a psychological level, does it truly matter that the substance in question constitutes a placebo?

Valerian is often sold here as homeopathy

New Threads

Top Bottom