• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Misunderstandings, emotions and people saying they hardly know me

Tankgirlboy77

So... I had a strange day at work today where I essentially misunderstood someone's point about something and it touched a nerve, so I wrote them an email arguing against what I thought they had meant.

It was related to being bullied at school, and I misinterpreted what she was saying and heard it as saying people who are still hung up on the fact that they were bullied just need to grow up and get over it and stop playing the victim, we all had hard times at school so just leave it in the past already! It turns out she didn't really mean this, or at least she was just saying whatever came into her mind at that moment so she wasn't really aware of what she was saying.

Anyway, my email response to her was along the lines of, if you have few memories of being picked on at school and/or if they were easily forgotten, then you probably weren't properly bullied. And I tried to emphasise the pernicious nature of bullying, how it comes to convince you that you are in fact worthless and deserving of the mistreatment you receive. And how, because it happens in your formative years, it shapes the way you think about yourself and your relationships with other people for a large percentage of your early adult life. It's not a case of just growing up and getting over it, because you've internalised the negativity and now carry it with you and typically need a counsellor to help you to start to question the ingrained negative beliefs about yourself.

She claims she was not saying what I thought she was, although I still can't work out quite what she did mean. But instead of just replying to my email she followed me to the kitchen and cornered me and insisted we find somewhere to talk about it. Which we did do, but it was horrible. I really can't stand confrontation or talking about emotions with the person right there. I spent the whole time peering into my tea mug, just couldn't bare to make eye contact. She probably thinks I hate her, but even eye contact with best friends is difficult. And I got the sense she wanted me to be more upset than I was, or to emote in some manner and go over it all I again. But to my mind I'd said everything in the email, so what's the point of saying it emotionally, out loud and less clearly? How could that possibly help? I guess NTs like this way. Seems unhelpful to me.

Towards the end she said we hardly know each other. Someone has said that before to me after a different disagreement. Are they trying to say something to me when they say this? Because it has both times struck me as a strange thing to say. Both times I've felt that I know them quite well. Especially this person at work I feel I know her and she knows me quite well. But she's saying she hardly knows me. This is a strange disconnection between our minds. I guess even my friendliest behaviour seems distant to NTs...? What do they want from me to be able to define it in their minds as 'knowing well'? And what has this got to do with having a discussion with someone? Am I being stupid?

That would hit a nerve with me too,even if she didn't mean what she said I can understand how you could misinterpreted that,being a bullying victim myself it definitely can give you ingrained negative thoughts about yourself which can go on beyond school years,but I sadly also have a nasty habit or misinterpreting what people say and I have sadly done this with my husband where he get angry and say that I'm too sensitive but i fully understand how you feel about the situation.

As an added question... If it comes down to me being more sensitive, perhaps due to being a spectrum-dweller, should I tell her I am aspie? I haven't told anyone at work because my boss is a bit 'old fashioned' and I've heard her use autistic in a negative sense to describe people she doesn't like. We get on fine now, I wouldn't want to create a weird atmosphere or for people to tiptoe around me!

I wouldn't bring that up at work, especially if you feel that your boss is already prejudiced against it.

o_O Wow, did I just kill this thread?

Not likely. I agree. Don't bring such things up at work...especially if people are known to make disparaging comments about autism.

As I've posted many times in this forum...keep it on a NEED-TO-KNOW basis only.

Not likely. I agree. Don't bring such things up at work...especially if people are known to make disparaging comments about autism.

As I've posted many times in this forum...keep it on a NEED-TO-KNOW basis only.

I often will bring it up with people who are being negative about ASD. I'll generally assume they're ignorant and highlight that by quashing their ill informed ideas. I hope I can dispel some of the stereotypes but if not, I don't really care if it makes them think less of me.

I agree with Judge, "don't bring such things up at work." I'm terrible about sharing stuff that I should keep to myself only to find that I've shot myself in the foot . . . again. Some work environments are okay, but mine is like dropping blood into a tank of sharks. As for mentioning that you have AS, I wouldn't do it unless there was some sort of advantage. Aspies are protected where I work, so I did play the "Aspie card" a few years ago when my job was in the lurch because of a previous supervisor that was the spawn of the antichrist. He was one of those steroid addicted Type-A personality types that was bent on getting rid of everyone; the tables got turned and he got fired. That's the only time I've mentioned it at work. As far as anyone is concerned, I'm just a weird guy.

Yes. Being indifferent to others who think less of you in a competitive and predatory environment can get you fired unless you can match the manipulative and malevolent efforts of those same competitive and predatory mindsets.

Ultimately a much safer and prudent course of action is to keep it on a "need-to-know" basis. While your employer may or may not legally and ethically be compelled to offer someone support, there is utterly no guarantee that coworkers will be so compliant, sympathetic or understanding.

I worked as well in such a "sharktank" for nearly twenty years. Being VERY careful about what I shared to coworkers. Even those I considered friends.

Hmm, this is interesting advice. I certainly don't want to tell my manager about it, but I might (although haven't decided yet) tell this coworker, just because things have gotten so weird and it seems to be at an impass.

What's happened since my original post is that I thought we had sorted it all out and we both heard each other's perspectives and said our apologies, and I actually thought we were in a better position to actually talk more openly to one another. But since then this weird Cold War type situation seems to have developed. I think what has happened is that we are now both a bit tentative and waiting for the other one to set the tone of the relationship going forward. That was several weeks ago, but I've only just recognised that that must have been what was happening, because since then she kind of avoids talking to me. I've tried to just go back to normal and be normally friendly, although as I say in my first post, my friendliness is probably so subtle as to be unnoticeable! I think she thinks I've taken against her or that I hold a grudge or something. The truth is I just want it to go back to how it was but I don't know how to do that.

I've decided I'm going to say "I feel like I've upset you in some way, for which I apologise. Please let me know what I can do to help or to put your mind at ease. It's all water under the bridge to me" or something along those lines, just to open the communication back up again.

I think what may be happening is that she is reading my crappy social skills as an intentional snub, whereas actually I'm really trying to patch things up but am just incredibly uncertain and scared about working out how to do that. And just when I'm certain about the situation and am about to say something I suddenly start doubting myself and wondering if it's all just in my head, and maybe we never had a very friendly relationship to start with! Oh the confusion.

I have been in similar coils in the workplace. I wish I had some good advice, but all I can say is that looking back, I wished that I hadn't invested so much time and energy in my co workers, and that I had kept them at arms length. That way they didn't matter so much. I wish you luck in resolving this!

I am scared to say anything I think to anyone at work because I am afraid if I say anything I will get fired. They already think I am strangely awkward so if I start being negative too I am fired. I have been fired so many times I have PTS over it. I have to work so this job I say nothing I think so I can keep one job finally. I tell no one really about autism I have because they will treat you like you just told them you have aids

I am scared to say anything I think to anyone at work because I am afraid if I say anything I will get fired. They already think I am strangely awkward so if I start being negative too I am fired. I have been fired so many times I have PTS over it. I have to work so this job I say nothing I think so I can keep one job finally. I tell no one really about autism I have because they will treat you like you just told them you have aids
One thing to bear in mind also, is that it's a safe bet that your co workers have already formed an opinion of you with their "mad NT skills"; whether that opinion is correct or not is another matter entirely. So at this point whether you mention autism or not is a moot point.

My husband is in business and deals with employees both here (UK) and in the U.S. From what he's told me it seems far easier to be fired in the U.S. Over here you'd have to be really failing in your worked to be fired, it would be very unlikely to happen on a personality basis.

NT means "neurotypical". In other words, a person without autism or other neurodevelopmental anomalies.

Your boss uses the word 'autistic' as a term for people she doesn't like?? I admire you for not telling her how offensive that is. It would make me very annoyed. But I understand you because I've heard similar stupid ignorant things from a former boss and was afraid to mention anything, in case they fire me if they realise I had a hidden disability. NT'S world.

New Threads

Top Bottom