• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Misophonia, anyone?

How are your reactions to certain noises? (yay, you can pick any 2 responses!)

• I pick up the slightest noises

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • Certain noises make me cry/turn me into a ball of rage/start meltdowns

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • I don't hear so well

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I'm OK with noise/No particular effect

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
i cant wear any sort of noise cancelling device, as it makes me paranoid of what could happen if i couldnt hear things, (a stray dog harming my cats, a burglar, a visitor, fire, mum in danger, snakes) gives me a massive unease.

i won't make any publicity for a product or brand, but i know of at least one (possibly 2) headphones that allow you to determine how much noise cancelling is applied and how much outside noise is let in, they aren't cheap though

i won't make any publicity for a product or brand, but i know of at least one (possibly 2) headphones that allow you to determine how much noise cancelling is applied and how much outside noise is let in, they aren't cheap though

thanks but just had a neighbour come over to let us know there are teenage prowlers at night in the area lately...poor old guy getting harrassed.... My ears will be turned up on high now... I hope they come here so i can run out with my baseball bat screaming like a crazy person lol... Should scare them away and amuse myself in the process. :)

Im very good at crazy teehehehe

When I was young I used to watch Disney movies on VHS. Trouble was, I had a hard time watching:
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Pinocchio
Dumbo
Bambi (at first. The noises that annoyed me there didn't last very long)
Mickey and the Beanstalk
Lady and the Tramp
The Sword in the Stone
Maybe in The Aristocats, I don't remember
Robin Hood
and The Lion King

And this was because of my misophonia. These movies all had certain noises in common that I couldn't stand. I was OK during most of them but whenever those noises came up I would cover my ears and moan. In 'Snow White' I had to endure one of those noises, sixfold.

Last edited:
Oh wow. I didn't expect so many replies :)
Sometimes it's okay.

Then Im completely gone because my wife is squeaking her eyeballs.

I try to suppress the reaction.
I know that noise & I hate it. My mother's eyes squeak, too, sometimes. I think it's when they're too dry.

I hate things like electronic humming or the noise of the TV signal. I have been told many times that you can't hear electricity and things like signals to the TV, but I beg to differ. (I sound crazy, I know)
I second you on that. I hear those, too. I never thought it could have to do with signals, though, that's a good point you made.

Anyways, here's my non exhaustive list:
- Tapping, banging, knocking, or repetitive thud-like sound, really, plus pen clicking. And mouse-clicking, but for some weird reason, most keyboards are bearable.
- The sound some people make when they swallow their saliva while talking. I just want to smack them in the face.
- Ticking clocks. I hate those with a fiery passion.
- Construction sounds: drilling, knocking with a hammer, wood sawing, sandpapering stuff, you name it.
- Kids (unless they're as dead inside and silent as I was as a child). I'm sorry, kids of the world, it's not you, it's me.
- Rubbing sounds. You know the noise some winter coats make when the sleeves rub against the abdomen? That's a horrible one. Or the sound of pant legs rubbing against one another. Or worse, the sound when people run their hand in their hair, it's like I can hear every single hair go creeeeeeeeee one after the other.
- My boyfriend's alarm on his phone. It took me 5 years (& that was actually today) to tell him that every time I heard it, I could feel a rush of anguish rise as fast as water thru a broken dam, and then it leaves me in a rage.
- Simultaneous sounds: people talking at the same time, or over the TV/music/outside noise. I can't naturally select the "source" I need to focus on and turn down the other one.
Voices at a distance: I feel like attacked like the voices are throwing punches at me. So that would be people speaking outside the window, having a birthday party 4 floors above, chatting while they're cooking with the windows open, kids passing by my doorstep while they're throwing a tantrum, or even people's TV... I don't hate people, but I can't stand their unsollicited noise. Until last December, my upstairs neighbors had a very regular sex schedule, old bedsprings, and squeaky wooden floors. It was hell, it would wake me up, keep me from sleeping, and what can you do besides put a furniture store catalogue on their doormat with a couple of beds and rugs circled up?

Oh, and I forgot the squeaky sound of shoes on a basketball court. I stopped watching the NBA because of that.

It's the ever constant high pitched buzzing of all the electrical energy in the air and sky areas around me, like differing layers of a dissonant producing electrical discharge energy orchestra, that proves most problematic for me. Nothing I have done comes close to turning it off. It actually hurts my brain, eyes, ears and even throat and glands. Ever highly sensitive it seems to EVERYTHING, often in differing amounts of pain throughout my body ( lol, "For no apparent reason", said all the "professionals".)... I fondly refer to myself as, "The Princess and the Pea."

My finally realizing this is all AS, at age fifty-six, I am confident now that I can successfully accomplish EASIER all that which I desire for my life moving forward. The correct information, applied to Self accordingly, creates for me a life now worth living. Meaning I am learning to truly trust my own, beloved ability to truly learn and love Self, regardless of any differing opinion coming from outside sources. I truly do know what IS best for me. Freedom is not lonely, it is in my safety in being comfortably alone and living my life my way, and due to all my accute sensitivities, alone feels much better and proves to allow me greater ability to enjoy a more productive self identity and output.

Now, how can I positively address all this air static and truly get some needed inner relief....hmmmm.
And Life goes on...

It's the ever constant high pitched buzzing of all the electrical energy in the air and sky areas around me, like differing layers of a dissonant producing electrical discharge energy orchestra, that proves most problematic for me. Nothing I have done comes close to turning it off. It actually hurts my brain, eyes, ears and even throat and glands. Ever highly sensitive it seems to EVERYTHING, often in differing amounts of pain throughout my body ( lol, "For no apparent reason", said all the "professionals".)... I fondly refer to myself as, "The Princess and the Pea."

My finally realizing this is all AS, at age fifty-six, I am confident now that I can successfully accomplish EASIER all that which I desire for my life moving forward. The correct information, applied to Self accordingly, creates for me a life now worth living. Meaning I am learning to truly trust my own, beloved ability to truly learn and love Self, regardless of any differing opinion coming from outside sources. I truly do know what IS best for me. Freedom is not lonely, it is in my safety in being comfortably alone and living my life my way, and due to all my accute sensitivities, alone feels much better and proves to allow me greater ability to enjoy a more productive self identity and output.

Now, how can I positively address all this air static and truly get some needed inner relief....hmmmm.
And Life goes on...

Well that was a great introductory post, thanks for joining in.

Despite a lot of difficulties regarding sound sensitivty etc you present a posotive message.
Positive ground is something we can all struggle with from time to time.

Reading a positive message certainly helps :)

Hello and thanks for the Acknowledgement and kind words. I am happy to be here!
It's good to finally find a place, and others, that actually fits, makes sense, brings deeper clarity, and supports all the best that I am. And, I hope to be supportive if possible for others, too.

I can't say that other folks' physical noises bother me, but I sure am sensitive to things that are high-pitched like 2-stroke motors [chainsaws and leaf blowers] as well as power saws, I must plug my ears around such.

I read a similar article and thought Ah ha! That's it! All those sounds that "hurt". That make me wince and cringe and grit my teeth and make me want to cover my ears. Alas...a name for it does not make it go away...

Yesss. I strongly suspect though that misophonia is another manifestation of sensory processing dysfunction though. First of all, the feelings and sensations I get from it are the same and just as strong as my other sensory issues. Second, it's difficult for me to believe that I just happen to have sensory processing issues AND a misophonia but they're not linked? The main argument I've heard for classifying them as separate issues is that misophonia is typically only in certain situations or with certain people, but for a lot of my sensory processing problems that is the case as well. I can walk into a busy noisy room and be fine and other times I'm not fine at all, sometimes my aversion to certain textures is stronger than other times, and I can usually handle 98% of people eating or sniffling no problem but certain people and situations just cause me unbearable responses to it. It's not ever personal, like a matter of liking or disliking them, I don't know why it's sometimes only certain people, if its a slight subtle difference in their eating noises or what haha.

New Threads

Top Bottom