• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Major work mess up

OnyxM

I'm on the spectrum but I also have inattentive ADHD. Or ADD. I've been job hopping for years, I'm 28. Where I live we have many financial problems and the place is small which means that jobs are even harder to find during the winter season. I've been desperately looking for a job for months (after some on and off 'atypical' gigs), and because I was so desperate I asked for work in a place that I'd normally never even want to go near..supermarket. I've worked on retail before as sales assistant in clothing stores but this..is entirely different. I don't know if hyper types of ADHD are doing well in fast paced jobs and maybe some of them do but for inattentive and slow moving people like me, jobs like that are a pure horror. Despite all my efforts, I'm the one who always needs more questions, more time to learn, more corrections and more examples. Even when I think I do 'well' or that I've learned something reality comes back with a huge slap to remind me how 'useless' I am in other people's eyes. Anyway..

Two nights ago I was on the meat and cheese slicers washing duty. We have to wash the machines when we close for the night. To thoroughly wash the ham slicer though we have to remove a specific screw that 'locks' the slicing disk so we can clean the disk. I removed the screw and washed the disk as I've been instructed and then placed both on the sink where we also place all other tools we wash. However underneath the sink..is our trash can. And apparently with a sudden 'move' of the objects and while I was washing and clearly not paying attention to the sink, the screw must have fallen into the trash bag..which we later remove and throw to the bins outside. So yesterday I went to work only to be interrogated about the missing screw since everyone knows I was on cleaning duty. We were all looking to find it but we didn't find anything..and from what I understand this might be an expensive part to replace. I don't even know..point is..I don't know anymore. If it weren't for my faith and family I honestly don't know if I'd even made it this far..I just can't handle all this. On one hand I tried my best to do my work and once again failed and on the other hand I can't quit because I've been out of a normal job for months and I can't go around like that. I feel overwhelmed, trapped again and lost. It's like I can't function as an adult. And since I can't afford official ADHD meds, I ordered a set of brain boosting supplements today.

I just don't even want to think how things will be this Monday

This is only a "major" mess up because your workplace made it one. You work in a place that makes major issues out of minor missteps, and that makes you feel like a failure when really, losing a screw is a totally normal thing for humans who work on equipment to do and has little if anything to do with neurodivergence.

I just looked it up, if this is the "meat slicer blade screw" it is NOT an expensive part to replace. In fact, the most expensive one I saw is about $13. Also, you know what? Screws get lost ALL THE TIME. That's why they sell replacements. Realistically, your employer should probably have spares.

This falls under "crap happens" and while yes, this could mean lost production until the screw is replaced (probably the main reason for the upset if there is only one slicer) that's more of a management failure for not planning on someone losing the screw at some point than it is on you for being the unlucky person who happened to be the one who lost the screw (because someone WOULD lose the screw, mark my words).

Seriously!
I used to run one of those big "Globe"-brand slicers for the delicatessen counter at a Polish grocery store. (I am not Polish.)
Ordering parts from Globe or from the local repairman got expensive but ordering parts on the Internet is a game-changer. Seriously, pieces get missing constantly. Hint on screws: having the thread pitch, hole diameter, and other specifications makes it super easy to get something. The old days of screws being individually hand-made are mostly gone.
On early typewriters you have to buy screws carefully, for they may be made as individual parts. Most typewriter factories had a screw department that made custom fasteners. But nowadays you have more of a genericized design philosophy that uses parts from whatever so it's easier to get the proper screw.

Hang in there, friend; you ARE functioning as an adult. Adults screw up constantly.

On my coolest job ever, washing for an historic railroad, the kitchen car had a water-tank in the ceiling of it that was run by a vacuum pump under the sink of the car. It all ran by electricity. My job was to fill the water tank (go outside the train & hook it up to a standpipe by the track) and to take care of the machinery inside -- in addition to washing dishes once the train was rolling, which was a ton of work at 105-degree temperatures.

They told me one night, "oh, don't bother with the pump--the passenger conductor is coming through to make sure all the pumps are powered down and on standby for the night."

Next morning I came in to work early find the tank was half empty and the water pump, left on all night, had run dry, over-heated, and burned out. It was a hustle to find the engineer -- who was fussing with his occasionally balky old locomotive, so he told me to go find the station agent-- and he told me to go to the shop, so I went to the shop and found the head mechanic-- and he took a break from rebuilding one of the steam locomotives (which was entirely worn out and was not likely to run again unless he did a very good job) and they looked in a boxcar somewhere and found an extra pump. Which they rather rapidly installed, leaving me with a lot of washing up to do before the train moved again.

Was it my fault?
Was it the chef's?
What about the conductor's?

No--it was human error, but it was not any one person's fault. It was miscommunication--the conductor didn't realize he had to do this, and if the chef had not told me to leave the pump alone I'd have caught it and though he'd still have missed his duty the pump would've still been cut off. All this is just people being confused.

You are fine--you're better at this than you think, and don't let them intimidate you.

This is only a "major" mess up because your workplace made it one. You work in a place that makes major issues out of minor missteps, and that makes you feel like a failure when really, losing a screw is a totally normal thing for humans who work on equipment to do and has little if anything to do with neurodivergence.

I just looked it up, if this is the "meat slicer blade screw" it is NOT an expensive part to replace. In fact, the most expensive one I saw is about $13. Also, you know what? Screws get lost ALL THE TIME. That's why they sell replacements. Realistically, your employer should probably have spares.

This falls under "crap happens" and while yes, this could mean lost production until the screw is replaced (probably the main reason for the upset if there is only one slicer) that's more of a management failure for not planning on someone losing the screw at some point than it is on you for being the unlucky person who happened to be the one who lost the screw (because someone WOULD lose the screw, mark my words).

Hey, thanks so much for your reply. I have no idea on machines and I don't know what brand that machine is but the screw we remove is same looking as these two black ones here https://prnt.sc/24iyhno. I spent more than an hour last night searching for ham slicer parts and their prices, couldn't make out much of them and from what I saw each machine has different price ranges for it and its parts but I honestly hope it's a cheap part. As for the rest you mentioned I will definitely agree because I was also surprised when I heard them talking on how they didn't even know the brand or what type it was? something like that. Normally I guess they should definitely have predicted such predicaments and while yes I definitely didn't just 'throw' it away or intentionally lose it, everyone acted as if I was the careless one..and having heard this particular accusation so many times in my life just messed me up even more. It's like my own head is messing with me..like I'm always coming out as the opposite of what I think when I try my best. I think that I put a lot of effort and I DO put a lot of effort to cope and it's like nobody even sees it or recognizes it genuinely. I've been in this work for about 2.5 weeks..and I had never before worked at this type of place. I didn't even know how to use those machines and it took me nearly 7 days to learn how to really use them. And a part of my practice was done by my own self because the other workers would always be too busy to show me everything and would just show me 'bits' here and there. Then it took me some days to learn how to clean those machines without slicing my own hands and when I'd hurry to clean them up (because others would tell me to hurry up) I'd wound my skin all the time (still have a 'trimmed' nail from that). In my eyes I see that I've made some progress even if I'm still much slower than the others but to everyone else it's like I'm doing nothing? I guess these types of jobs are very stressful for all.

Seriously!
I used to run one of those big "Globe"-brand slicers for the delicatessen counter at a Polish grocery store. (I am not Polish.)
Ordering parts from Globe or from the local repairman got expensive but ordering parts on the Internet is a game-changer. Seriously, pieces get missing constantly. Hint on screws: having the thread pitch, hole diameter, and other specifications makes it super easy to get something. The old days of screws being individually hand-made are mostly gone.
On early typewriters you have to buy screws carefully, for they may be made as individual parts. Most typewriter factories had a screw department that made custom fasteners. But nowadays you have more of a genericized design philosophy that uses parts from whatever so it's easier to get the proper screw.

Hang in there, friend; you ARE functioning as an adult. Adults screw up constantly.

On my coolest job ever, washing for an historic railroad, the kitchen car had a water-tank in the ceiling of it that was run by a vacuum pump under the sink of the car. It all ran by electricity. My job was to fill the water tank (go outside the train & hook it up to a standpipe by the track) and to take care of the machinery inside -- in addition to washing dishes once the train was rolling, which was a ton of work at 105-degree temperatures.

They told me one night, "oh, don't bother with the pump--the passenger conductor is coming through to make sure all the pumps are powered down and on standby for the night."

Next morning I came in to work early find the tank was half empty and the water pump, left on all night, had run dry, over-heated, and burned out. It was a hustle to find the engineer -- who was fussing with his occasionally balky old locomotive, so he told me to go find the station agent-- and he told me to go to the shop, so I went to the shop and found the head mechanic-- and he took a break from rebuilding one of the steam locomotives (which was entirely worn out and was not likely to run again unless he did a very good job) and they looked in a boxcar somewhere and found an extra pump. Which they rather rapidly installed, leaving me with a lot of washing up to do before the train moved again.

Was it my fault?
Was it the chef's?
What about the conductor's?

No--it was human error, but it was not any one person's fault. It was miscommunication--the conductor didn't realize he had to do this, and if the chef had not told me to leave the pump alone I'd have caught it and though he'd still have missed his duty the pump would've still been cut off. All this is just people being confused.

You are fine--you're better at this than you think, and don't let them intimidate you.

Thanks for your time! I may be making this too big in my own head due to my stress of being in a new environment and a tough one like this. It might also be that the other workers are generally always 'stressed' as well and they probably feel that a new and completely clueless worker like me is a burden for them. And I understand that. I just wish they too would understand that it's not my fault that I'm clueless or that I'm slower than them. I mean neurodivergence aside, I think any new person in a job would take more time to learn stuff and even more time to be 'good' at them. They don't have much time to train a new worker and they clearly don't have enough energy for that either. Maybe things would be better if we were three people per shift instead of just 2 for a semi-big store like this because we are only two who do everything. Tills, storage, cheese and meat slicing and grinding, fridge check for expired items, cleaning,etc..If we were 3 we'd probably be less stressed. And I think that especially those handling those machines should at least have some kind of prior experience in them?
I'm glad I came here to share this. Seeing perspectives from other fellow neurodivergents is very helpful. I've been an overwhelmed and desperate mess since yersterday and I couldn't even enjoy Christmas as much as I wanted. Thank you all and merry Christmas/happy holidays!

Could it be this?

Avantco SLCKNOB Replacement Slicer Carriage Knob for SL312 and SL512

In my line of work "mistakes" cost thousands of dollars in equipment repair and lost production time and unless you're a habitual offender (like, crash the machine 3 times in a month) no one looses their mind.

A lost screw is...well, we have literal drawers full because lost screws are expected. We have an entire maintenance department stocked.

Management losing their mind about a lost screw just screams "bad management".

everyone acted as if I was the careless one..and having heard this particular accusation so many times in my life just messed me up even more.

I’m guessing this is the cause of perhaps the majority of your bad feelings. Not to get too personal, but were you neglected or abused as a child? Making a mistake shouldn’t make you feel like you’re a terrible person. Usually people who think that way were neglected or abused as children.

when I was working now retired, mistakes could cost thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars, had to put it in the back of my mind. still lasted 21 years. Not worth sweating it.

I’m guessing this is the cause of perhaps the majority of your bad feelings. Not to get too personal, but were you neglected or abused as a child? Making a mistake shouldn’t make you feel like you’re a terrible person. Usually people who think that way were neglected or abused as children.

Goodmorning and Merry Christmas! I was not abused no, it's just that in my family we all kind of have this 'overstress' mentallity, like it's in our DNA to be very anxious and for me as a person with ADHD, I used to make very silly and dangerous mistakes since I was a kid. People would simply always tell me to be more careful or pay attention and I've definitely got many comments of that kind not just from my people but from teachers,etc..I don't blame them though because it's a very usual thing especially with people who come off as 'careless' or 'risky'. I don't think anyone has ever done it out of mean intention or to hurt anyone, it's simply something that people notice a lot and tend to point it out, most often probably out of concern. However even I have noticed that I do things very differently than others and take much more time to learn stuff I have no interest or knowledge of. If I worked with nature or in the field I'm good at I'd most likely be much better but anywhere else? Not really. Jobs like this one are also very stress inducing and demanding so my anxiety is escalated. The boss himself didn't yell at me or anything and I hope he won't get mad at this (he only recently hired me plus he knows my brother in law too), but the people in charge of me during the shifts were very stressed about this and clearly annoyed. Anyway, I lost an entire Christmas day joy because of this, I can't do anything else. Thank you for your reply and your time!

Could it be this?

Avantco SLCKNOB Replacement Slicer Carriage Knob for SL312 and SL512

In my line of work "mistakes" cost thousands of dollars in equipment repair and lost production time and unless you're a habitual offender (like, crash the machine 3 times in a month) no one looses their mind.

A lost screw is...well, we have literal drawers full because lost screws are expected. We have an entire maintenance department stocked.

Management losing their mind about a lost screw just screams "bad management".

That's how it looks yet, the outer part is this black thing and it also has a long screw attached. Let's just hope the price for it is anything near the price in the link you sent me :p Yes I agree with you any store like this should have extra screws kept for such situations, I honestly don't understand why they don't :/
Thanks for your reply!

I recently started a job this summer and I’m always constantly on edge trying to make sure I do a good job but stressed out easily when something goes wrong, even if it’s minor my anxious brain makes it more than it is. I’m sorry that you’re stressed out from this. It is an easy mistake that isn’t your fault and it could have happened to anyone. I hope the situation is resolved and isn’t going to be stressful for you.

That's how it looks yet, the outer part is this black thing and it also has a long screw attached. Let's just hope the price for it is anything near the price in the link you sent me :p Yes I agree with you any store like this should have extra screws kept for such situations, I honestly don't understand why they don't :/
Thanks for your reply!

It may be a bad image and the screw part just isn't shown. The knob and screw are typically constructed in such a way that they aren't separable and so the knob would not be sold without the attached screw.

I could be wrong though, there are exceptions. Your best bet is to call the company and ask, if you were going to purchase one. Which, to be perfectly clear, I don't think you should do - this is the business' problem, not yours. This post is intended for informational purposes only. :)

EDIT: alternately, it may be a two piece knob/screw (I found the knob on other sites and it appears the knob contains a threaded insert). You would also need this: Avantco PSLA100 Carriage Knob Stud for SL612A, SL713MAN, and SL713A

It may be a bad image and the screw part just isn't shown. The knob and screw are typically constructed in such a way that they aren't separable and so the knob would not be sold without the attached screw.

I could be wrong though, there are exceptions. Your best bet is to call the company and ask, if you were going to purchase one. Which, to be perfectly clear, I don't think you should do - this is the business' problem, not yours. This post is intended for informational purposes only. :)

EDIT: alternately, it may be a two piece knob/screw (I found the knob on other sites and it appears the knob contains a threaded insert). You would also need this: Avantco PSLA100 Carriage Knob Stud for SL612A, SL713MAN, and SL713A

Yes it's most likely this one. Btw an update on this, yesterday I went to work and it turns out they finally found a supplement for the screw and the machine is working again fine. Thank God. Thank you very much for your help :)

I recently started a job this summer and I’m always constantly on edge trying to make sure I do a good job but stressed out easily when something goes wrong, even if it’s minor my anxious brain makes it more than it is. I’m sorry that you’re stressed out from this. It is an easy mistake that isn’t your fault and it could have happened to anyone. I hope the situation is resolved and isn’t going to be stressful for you.

I relate to everything you mentioned. I hope all is ok with you and your work too :) They finally found a screw to replace the other one so the machine is working again. Thanks for your reply and time :)

I relate to everything you mentioned. I hope all is ok with you and your work too :) They finally found a screw to replace the other one so the machine is working again. Thanks for your reply and time :)
That’s great! Glad it was sorted out. Hope all goes well for you.

Yes it's most likely this one. Btw an update on this, yesterday I went to work and it turns out they finally found a supplement for the screw and the machine is working again fine. Thank God. Thank you very much for your help :)

No problem, glad they got it working! Hope they learned their lesson and ordered an extra screw.

Small parts get lost. Fact of life lol.

That’s great! Glad it was sorted out. Hope all goes well for you.

Yeah they solved it. I hope things go well too because my general difficulties are very highlighted especially in this very fast paced job. Best wishes for you as well!

No problem, glad they got it working! Hope they learned their lesson and ordered an extra screw.

Small parts get lost. Fact of life lol.

Indeed parts like that can get lost easily. But being new in a job and being the one who lost it is just terrible. The whole atmosphere was on the 'edge' for days against me even if they weren't directly saying it. I may be terrible at deciphering social stuff but one thing that was always very strong in me, is my ability to 'sense' the mood of others even in their most discrete behaviors.
Thank you so much for your time, you all helped me calm down and I'm grateful for that. Best wishes!

New Threads

Top Bottom