• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lost

Not sure where to post this and I'm not sure what I hope to get from doing so but whatever. I introduced myself on the forum a while back before I had been diagnosed but haven't posted anything since.

I was diagnosed with ASD last year. I'm in my 30s. I have a full-time job, a place to rent, and food to eat so I consider myself lucky given that 80% of those on the spectrum are unemployed (in the US). I have been able to provide for myself in recent years but had a hard time with it beforehand. Actually, I still have a hard time keeping things going but I haven't attempted suicide for a few years so it's maybe not as rough as it once was.

The problem I have today is disillusionment with my career and feeling like a fraud. I won't go into specifics about my career but I work with people and I honestly don't know what I'm doing nor do I think I'm making any difference. I don't even have an interest in other people, generally. I'm cordial but do not develop attachments, save a romantic relationship. I only contact my family out of obligation, I don't have any friends, and I don't go out of my way to meet new people unless it's work related. I don't like to play politics to get ahead (which others might call 'networking'), which we all have to do to some extent. Every day I have to feign interest in what I do and keep appearances to support myself. I'm not very competent in the social sphere and experience a lot of fear because of that fact. I do challenge myself but that doesn't change much because, well, ASD.

Faking interest and competency is about as soul draining as can be. Really, if I had a choice, I'd hermit and sit in front of a computer all day (or lose myself in my own head). Not doing any work, just playing video games. I acknowledge that realization and it scares me. I don't have a lot of hope for my future. If I quit my job, I'd be relegated to minimium wage drudge work like I used to do since I don't have the skills and qualifications to do anything else in the modern day service economy. I wouldn't qualify for SSI given my work history. Can't really survive on such a low income anyways, unless you have 0 debt and subsidized housing or other outside help. In short, if I quit my (fraudulent) job I'd be screwed.

That's why I feel lost. I do things just to do things. No end goal or grand plan for my life. I support myself because I don't have a choice not because I desire to. It's nothing I could admit to anyone but myself and the anonymous online world.

Been there done that. I have been up and down a few times I have been homeless, and I have been on top of the world

All I can say is hang in there, If you don't like your employment don't quit but look into what might work better for you work towards your goal and be patient

Your situation is similar to mine. I work with children and I spent 6 years getting my degree. I’ve always found the job overwhelming so I will work in spurts. I’ve only worked one day in the last 6 months. I do like my job, I like being with the kids, but I find it too demanding on the social level. I know to be happy in work I would either need some changes made or I’ll need to find a new career, but I don’t have the time or money to retrain and any job I can do is going to be even more unsuitable, as the ones that don’t require qualifications and experience all require working with people. I think working from home on a computer would be perfect for me, but I need more training.

Been there done that. I have been up and down a few times I have been homeless, and I have been on top of the world

Where would you say you are now? I'm not sure I've experienced being on top of the world. Just getting by is about the best I've done.

Your situation is similar to mine. I work with children and I spent 6 years getting my degree. I’ve always found the job overwhelming so I will work in spurts. I’ve only worked one day in the last 6 months. I do like my job, I like being with the kids, but I find it too demanding on the social level. I know to be happy in work I would either need some changes made or I’ll need to find a new career, but I don’t have the time or money to retrain and any job I can do is going to be even more unsuitable, as the ones that don’t require qualifications and experience all require working with people. I think working from home on a computer would be perfect for me, but I need more training.

College degrees have become a dime a dozen these days, it seems. The only ones that are worth the debt are finance, engineering, software, or medical related. Or just saying F it and learn a trade. I wish I could go back in time and redo my choice because I didn't know what the hell I wanted or what would be best for me. My college experience was "I just want to get this over with. Give me my stupid piece of paper."

It's good that you at least enjoy your job, sans the social requirement. The only thing I like about mine is the flexibility and not the job itself.

Really, if I had a choice, I'd hermit and sit in front of a computer all day (or lose myself in my own head). Not doing any work, just playing video games. I acknowledge that realization and it scares me. I don't have a lot of hope for my future. If I quit my job, I'd be relegated to minimium wage drudge work like I used to do since I don't have the skills and qualifications to do anything else in the modern day service economy. I wouldn't qualify for SSI given my work history. Can't really survive on such a low income anyways, unless you have 0 debt and subsidized housing or other outside help
Same here.
I'd hermit, sit in front of the computer most all day, do only what I like, when I want and not have
to abide to someone telling me when and what to do.
At my age and on disability I get very annoyed that I can't do that now in life because you are correct
qualified for SSI I can't really survive on that income.
So as part of my low rent houseshare, I am also working rather like a caregiver combination maid and gardener for the person I live with.
So no living things my way yet.

I wouldn't be scared of feeling this way about work though as I would weigh the alternatives as you have.
Not good.
If you have to fake it, fake it.
Keep yourself open to finding a better way. I'm a realist as was spoken about in another post.
You never know what's around the bend. Hang in.

I work with people too, and find it draining because I'm not naturally good with people and I'm trying to do something I'm not suited to, or be something that I'm not. I'm putting on an act all the time, but I'm not a good actor. I feel like I shouldn't be doing the job, but have no other choice.

Where would you say you are now? I'm not sure I've experienced being on top of the world. Just getting by is about the best I've done.

College degrees have become a dime a dozen these days, it seems. The only ones that are worth the debt are finance, engineering, software, or medical related. Or just saying F it and learn a trade. I wish I could go back in time and redo my choice because I didn't know what the hell I wanted or what would be best for me. My college experience was "I just want to get this over with. Give me my stupid piece of paper."

It's good that you at least enjoy your job, sans the social requirement. The only thing I like about mine is the flexibility and not the job itself.

I am doing much better than i expected, 15 years ago, I am 45, married of 10 years, i have a buis, 2 kids on the spectrum with all the expenses that add and I am getting by, with a clear path into the future

I wouldn't be scared of feeling this way about work though as I would weigh the alternatives as you have.
Not good.
If you have to fake it, fake it.
Keep yourself open to finding a better way. I'm a realist as was spoken about in another post.
You never know what's around the bend. Hang in.

I hope you are eventually able to live the way you want.

And yeah, I've been through the alternative before and I'm not doing that anymore. I appreciate your honesty. I hate faking it but fake is what is called for, I suppose. Makes me wonder how many people live this way. Never mind.. that's a bad road to go down.

I work with people too, and find it draining because I'm not naturally good with people and I'm trying to do something I'm not suited to, or be something that I'm not. I'm putting on an act all the time, but I'm not a good actor. I feel like I shouldn't be doing the job, but have no other choice.

It sucks.

In some ways, I think that developed society is becoming less suited for people on the spectrum (even though more are being diagnosed). There are exceptions to this in the tech field but as a whole, the (living wage) jobs that are available today are very socially demanding. More than anything else, you must be good with people. Can't pull a lever in a factory or dig a mine and expect to make a living anymore.

I am doing much better than i expected, 15 years ago, I am 45, married of 10 years, i have a buis, 2 kids on the spectrum with all the expenses that add and I am getting by, with a clear path into the future

I'm glad. Hope things continue in that direction.

New Threads

Top Bottom