• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lost web developer (or something)

Drogos

Let me just start with the obsession. I like web development. More specifically what is known as vanilla web development. Anyone shares that interest on a high level, I am definitely interested. I focus hard and deep on the topic, at work, and after work, day and night. I know no one that shares the deep interest. Other that that there is not much to say. Guess I am socially awkward to a certain extent, I think I manage ok, but not a big fan. I live far into the Norwegian woods with my extraordinary wife, far away from other people with the exception of a few nice neighbours.

upload_2019-8-6_11-32-33.png

I'm a chocolate man myself, and as far as I know, web development something spiders do. But welcome to the forum.

;)

Welcome! Of all things to be obsessed with, that is definitely a good one in my book. My problem in life has been TOO MANY obsessions that oscillate. Makes it a lot harder to root myself into something long term.

I happen to be getting more and more into coding (and going in the direction of web dev as I'm learning the web stack) so if you want to PM me and talk about web dev, I'm up for it.

What is vanilla web development?

I did a little bit of site redesign a decade ago and found it engrossing, and did think about it after work, wanting to solve various problems.

Anyway, welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

For those specially interested, vanilla in programming term is to not use frameworks and can in simple terms be compared to getting a house:
Buy a pre made house = Getting a pre made wordpress or similar site.
Looking thru catalogues and involve yourself with the house being built = Common approach for building a website too.
Picking up the axe, and building the house by hand = Vanilla developing.

Not saying anything is better than anything else, it all depends on needs, wishes, time and cost, which is very independent.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that (vanilla) is the approach I used on the website design. Ultimately I got assigned to other duties, but I did enjoy my vanilla experience!

Back in the 90s we called it "hand-coding". Where my only real development tool was a fancy text editor called Homesite 4.01. Before that I used "Hot Dog Professional". But they were just text editors, where you still had to use all your HTML, CSS, and Java Script coding skills.

I used to crack up at all the bloated code products like "Dreamweaver" used to create. Gross. But it did allow people to create websites who for all intents and purposes had no clue about coding. Where many no longer cared about the design principles of people like Jakob Nielsen or running one's code through a validator.

Though since the advent of broadband connections, a web page with horrendous amounts of code are no longer a real problem. Funny to recall being told not to create anything that initially took no longer than 15 seconds to open. Those were the days...o_O

New Threads

Top Bottom