• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

(long story) I think I sacrificed to much in hindsight.

LuxLuca

Kermit the Frog
I'm sorry for asking advice again after creating a thread about another subject not too long ago. I don't wish to come across as needy but it seems like I have a pile of neglected issues that I can't avoid much longer.

This is a very long one.

My main issue in relationships is that I tend to create a role of myself as a caretaker for my significant other. I tend to date people who are struggling mentally, even when it's not something I would like. When my relationships progress I find myself being more of a parent than an equal partner, I make myself responsible for another's happiness often at the cost of myself.

I'm currently in a committed relationship, have been for roughly 5 years. My partner traveled countries to come live with me because I was pursuing an education and couldn't move. He didn't have anything going on, he was in a depression and figured the drastic change might actually help him. It went downhill at first but eventually actually did get better. I've spoken with him about my previous experiences and we agreed to make sure we wouldn't end up there. Due to my experience in the mental healthcare field however, I tend to manage a lot for him. (Therapy, planning, paperwork and so on.)

Last year my mother's dog had puppies (labradoodles). She wanted to give us one of the puppies because she knew I had always wanted a labradoodle of my own. I was against the idea at first. I was in school and worked, I didn't have much time to care for a dog and we lived in a rather small appartement with 2 cats already. My partner, however, was over the moon with the idea. He convinced me by saying how much good it would do for him to have the structure of a dog, how training him would be fulfilling and how it would make him feel less alone (no job, no school due to burn-out). I caved, how could I not? I've always had a weak spot for animals and with this cute little potato that was going to be so fluffy and soft I just couldn't refuse. We talked it through properly, agreeing that it was a big decision and that we had to be a full 100% sure that we would commit. We could not return him and we couldn't imagine wanting to.

When he was at the appropriate age we took our puppy, Makka, home. He was an absolute dream to have; a smart little boy with heaps of affection that was surprisingly calm. He learned fast, looked cuter by the day and loved especially my partner. Because he was home with him almost every day it was no suprise that Makka bonded with him, it had been the partial goal. It didn't take me long to absolutely fall in love with him.

But as smart of a boy Makka was, he needed training. He listens rather well but is very barky when he runs into other dogs. Staying alone is also something a little bit hard for him, he doesn't mind who is with him but he barks and howls when he's alone.

My partner poured his everything into training Makka, so much so that it became difficult for me to be a part of that. As a psychology enthusiast I understand a fair share of animal behaviour, but all my takes where recieved as me telling my partner, who did loads of online research, that I knew better. I understood the misunderstanding but also realised that no matter what I said, it was not good enough. After a while this seemed to settle down with him admitting he was being obsessive. He had started seeing Makka as a failure because he wasn't meeting his expectations (barely 1 year old puppy, mind you), saying that he felt trapped by the dog. We also talked about this and concluded that his problem was himself, not Makka.

Starting this year my partner started feeling an itch to return to society, work/study and take better care of himself. He has been a shut in for years and feared failure above anything (he even feared learning the language because he would, in his opinion, sound dumb because he wasn't fluent.) so this sudden drive was the absolute best thing!

But the situation with Makka got worse. It ended with him in tears saying that the dog was a mistake. He didn't love our dog anymore, in fact he disliked him. It broke my heart, I got very attached to our little floof. He said that he felt like he would just spend his live taking care of Makka and not be able to get out of the depression.

We had two big fights over this, the first one we concluded that my partner needed to make more time for himself. We had plenty of babysitters willing and naturally I was there as well. As long as we would plan and manage it would work out.

The second fight he had decided he didn't want Makka anymore, and that was final. It felt like a dead end to him and he didn't want to sacrifice himself for the dog. After the fight I called my mother and spend the night there with Makka. The idea of giving Makka away to another home was impossible to me. This was a good welbehaved dog that was still learning, he was a responsibility that we took and he is by all accounts dependent on us. A dog sustains lasting damage from being re-homed and I could not see any justified reason why Makka deserved to be taken from his home. I was on the cusp of breaking the relationship off because I felt rather appalled by this sudden disregard of a living being.

We ended up talking it through and after some discussion we ended up agreeing that Makka would stay at my parent's (they have a big farm) so my partner could focus on getting his live on track and eventually work take him back home. This made perfect sense to me then. I wouldn't lose my dog and my partner could take some space to progress in life, something that obviously is very important.

I feel like I have taken a short end of the stick in my attempt to make everyone happy. I'm not happy. I miss my dog and every time I get sad my partner just gets defensive. My partner seems so happy and relaxed, as if Makka never happened.. but he's still there! I see him weekly at my parents, brush him, take him for walks and give him all the love that I save up for him. He knows something is wrong, I can tell. He wants to come home and comforts me as if I'd be crying.

I fear that I made a decision that sounded good in my head but didn't think about the emotional scale. I don't think my partner feels particularly grateful for my sacrifice, he just feels guilt and pressure. I don't think he even remotely wants to get Makka back home.

I don't know what to do. I cannot take care of him alone, it's a team effort and I have physical disabilities that would make it hard on occasion. I don't know if I can handle breaking up with my partner, I love him and the heartbreak would do doubt screw up my education.

Did I make a mistake? What do I do?

I feel like I have taken a short end of the stick in my attempt to make everyone happy.

Did I make a mistake? What do I do?

Inevitable, IMO as we exist in a world of "givers and takers".

With those being overt and obvious "givers" being fair prey for those who are clearly "takers". Yet I suspect such a combination that constitutes a relationship is never truly symbiotic let alone equitable. Not your "yin" to their "yang" so to speak.

While there are no guarantees that a "taker" can be so easily identified, it may prove beneficial to keep the possibility in mind whenever you become serious about someone. To view humanity without those "rose colored glasses". Keeping perspective that some people relate to others almost exclusively on a transactional basis, even in their closest relationships.

Something "givers" need to be acutely aware of.

Last edited:
No contest. If a bf/gf says them or the dog (or cat) drop them off at the homeless shelter.

Do you mean the bf/gf?

Yes. Especially if they were the ones advocating for taking it on in the first place. Now if it was a spouse/life partner and there was some drastic life change that trully justified having to rehome a pet, well then you don't really have a choice. But if it was a matter of just not wanting to deal with it I'd say no. To me a pet is not much different then a child not to be given up except under extreme circumstances. I'd eat cat food and wear a sack before I gave up one of my dogs.

I completely agree with Tom. If I had a boyfriend who wanted me to get rid of any of my dogs, the relationship would be over.

This is sad. Not sure what to think.

Does he understand how difficult this is? Have you been validated?

Dogs have a strong bond with their owners. And he was the one who wanted it in the first place. It's cruel to me to give up on a pet just because it's hard and a bit irresponsible.

You are the one who knows your partner the best ofc, so i can't comment on his good/bad points and whether your relationship is good. But if it was me i would be too disappointed in him.

Last edited:
You sound disenchanted with this guy. Relationships change. He's doing better in many ways, and maybe it would be good to try living in separate homes? You can then get your dog back. Not sure why you made this compromise, sounds like it's not working for you, and another solution is needed.

I would say it sounds like you fell into a parent/child dynamic when he was poorly, and got a bit stuck in it. You seem to be indulging him now at your own expense, while he acts like a teen. Time for him to leave the nest?

I'm also disappointed in him, I've told him this and he says he's also disappointed in himself.

I think what's stopping me is knowing that he intends to just move back to his home country and drop everything if we were to break up. I'm a coward.

I also feel responsible for this situation, I'd be ditching my own plan without me giving it the time it needed. I think I also just have hope that when he settles into a rhythm we could get Makka back home.

New Threads

Top Bottom