• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Location preferences

Jacki Cucinotta

Not sure if the series of questions I'm about to pose already exist in this section of the forum, but here goes:

Do you prefer to look for jobs that are closer to where you live? Is it a pre-requisite for you to apply to jobs that are close to home?

Just curious to see if location has an impact on how we decide which jobs we want to have.

In general... I don't think I'd mind looking for a job that's not in my area.

However, here's the thing... which might explain my choice a bit more.

I'm still living at my parents house and I want to move out. Having a job would be a good reason. However, I do stress... it should be a job that's worth it. Not a temp job... since relocating just to end up being fired in 2 weeks doesn't cut it.

My main problem with moving is... well, there's 2.
1. I don't own a car, I can't drive a car (had lessons, just... didn't work), nor can I afford a car right now (even if I had a license). So moving elsewhere would put me in some social isolation I guess. Right now I'm about a 5 minute walk from a busstop and a trainstop which gets me anywhere in the country. And looking at my social contacts, neither has a car, and they live practically around the corner (except for my girlfriend).

2. I can't really afford to move right now. So unless there's decent compensation to even get a headstart to move, I wouldn't even be able to do so. Over here, social security is so tight it's being paid for by the city. Moving means; reapplying for social security, which takes 8 to 12 weeks to be granted. And while we're talking jobs... even my first check from said job... I have to move first in most cases to even get started on said job.

So do I want to move? probably... can I move? that really, really, really depends.

The times I actually went on job hunt I made clear how my travelling is, and that pretty much eliminated 100% of all jobs that were left, that suited my profile (no degree in anything). Apparently you either need a degree or a drivers license... having neither (for whatever reason) is pretty much a no-go.

Some jobs, by their nature, require you to go where the jobs exist. For example if you are looking for a position as a college professor or wildlife biologist the jobs are so scarce you must be willing to relocate. If, on the other hand, you are a computer programmer or an accountant you should be able to find employment in any large metropolitan area.

Another consideration for married people is the job prospect for a spouse.

When I was in my twenties living in Chicago I decided I wanted to move to Minneapolis. I quit my job and moved. I remember, before moving, asking my girlfriend at the time: how can I do it? It is decades later but I still remember her answer. She said: you just do it. So I did and never looked back. I was hesitating because When I asked her how what I really meant was I did not want to give up the security I had. Sometimes you just need to take the leap. It is much easier to do when you are young.

Last edited:
I agree Loomis. I would prefer if there were more biomedical jobs close to the suburban town I live in, but the best jobs are in Boston. Because most of them are in the city, I certainly wouldn't mind commuting a distance if that's where the best jobs are. To me, it's often the quality of the job that influences whether or not I choose to apply for it. I do also know that for some location is an issue (the conflict involving traffic, getting lost, and many other possible problems that some people, event NTs, like to generally avoid). In a perfect world, all jobs would be where we want them, but that kind of utopia is too complicated to become a reality.

I agree Loomis. I would prefer if there were more biomedical jobs close to the suburban town I live in, but the best jobs are in Boston. Because most of them are in the city, I certainly wouldn't mind commuting a distance if that's where the best jobs are. To me, it's often the quality of the job that influences whether or not I choose to apply for it. I do also know that for some location is an issue (the conflict involving traffic, getting lost, and many other possible problems that some people, event NTs, like to generally avoid). In a perfect world, all jobs would be where we want them, but that kind of utopia is too complicated to become a reality.

Boston is a great town and there are a lot of opportunities there. I visited once and liked it. Minneapolis also has a lot of biomedical companies. I think, like Boston with its many universities, Minnesota is strong in the biological sciences. We have St. Jude Medical and Medtronics to name just two.

My last job sent me all over the state, and to various parts of Ohio and Indiana. I'd have to drive anywhere from 30-180 miles one way depending on where they felt like sending me. I didn't mind it, although I'm glad I quit before the input shaft bearing exploded in my car, but it basically destroyed any hope of doing anything else. I was too disorganized / disoriented by the constant changes to focus on anything at home, especially since I was living by myself (well, with a terrible, awful roommate, which technically is worse than living by myself).

Now that I moved back home with my mother, I have a regular office job. It's still about half an hour away, but that's nothing. I did that for three years going to college (same town, actually).

So, I guess I'd have to say that no, I don't have to have a nearby job. But if I got an offer for somewhere terribly far, and it was a really good offer, I would most likely move to be closer. Would I prefer to stay around the local area? Yes. But as a programmer, there just isn't that much work when the average town is no larger than 3,000 people, so I'll probably have to move some day.

Job seeking season is here!

I live pretty close to an industrial estate, but I could only find jobs to be an administrative assistant in the factories. I don't mind low pay but I don't like the lack of opportunities to improve myself. Now I spend every day going to the central city to look for more opportunities, especially jobs and further education.

I prefer to have a job closer to home even though thats not usually what happens with me. My first "career related" job was about 1.5 to 2 hours drive from my home. My second job was 10 minutes away but I often had to travel an hour away to do offsite business work. My most recent job started out 10 minutes away but then we moved an hour away. I was just laid off from this job so I'm now looking for a job hopefully not as far as an hour away. Those long drives are a real pain and become a problem if there is traffic or if you have some reason you have to leave work early or get in late, it just adds to the time it takes.

I feel the same way Mellotron. The traffic is a real pain in the butt if there is a long distance between me and the job I want. But again, I am able to handle the traffic or anything that stands in my way if the job is excellent.

Very true Jacki, if the job is really good sometimes its worth the long commute. Its funny because it actually went the other way with me too. I was close to my last job, 10 minutes on a normal day, and then wound up moving an hour away because the place we were moving to was really nice.

New Threads

Top Bottom