• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

When empty plastic water bottles fall because they're too light to stay upright. For some reason that drives me crazy, especially if there's several of them and a domino effect.
Ugh, me too! It's like they're top heavy, and I get irritated with things that are top heavy.

Unbalanced feelings in my socks and shoes. I swear I am worse than the Princess and the Pea when it comes to wrinkles in my socks or the feeling of one shoe being tied more tightly than the other. I try so hard to ignore it, but I don’t usually succeed.

Unbalanced feelings in my socks and shoes.
Good call. I forgot about that one. The worst is a little bit of rolled up fluff inside a sock because when you take your shoe off looking for the lump you can't find it.

When I had my autism assessment the psychiatrist asked about clothing and irritation, and used socks as an example. I mentioned that to a friend afterwards and got the response "well I must be autistic as well then because my socks really annoy me too" - :oops: :confused: :mad:

Anyway... the sound of people eating... unbearable.

So tough. So so tough.

People I love have thought I have a restrictive eating disorder because I hate to eat around other people so much. It’s been difficult for me to explain to them, “The sound of you chewing makes me see horrible things in my mind. Violent, horrible things.”

For me the sound of them eating is fine but the sound of lots of them talking is not. So if a restaurant is really busy I prefer to buy take away and sit out front in the street to eat. Yes people look at me funny but that has never bothered me.

I can't tolerate paper bag noises. Period. Now of course everything is paper bags or else those stupid cloth ones that I end up throwing out and buying way more plastic bags than I ever did before.

I get online groceries and they bring me about 10 cloth bags of stuff every time. Since I'm disabled I never go to the store to reuse those bags. Instead I just get 10 more, and 10 more, and 10 more to the point I have so many I don't know what to do with them and they never get reused.

I still need to buy plastic bags for household trash and dirty cat litter so now I'm buying plastic bags by the box load and throwing away the cloth ones.

If someone could explain how that helps the environment, please do.

I don't know why they don't trust me as a responsible adult to choose whether cloth or plastic is better for me (and the environment) when I order my groceries.

If someone could explain how that helps the environment, please do.
I agree with you here. Paper bags are ridiculous, they tear so easily and if you put anything cold in them the condensation makes them fall apart. I get groceries delivered now because paper bags are impossible if you're using public transport.

I still honestly don't understand why we haven't started using cellophane, it's a very plastic like substance that can be made elastic enough to be used as shopping bags and it's made from farm and food waste such as corn stalks and husks. 100% biodegradable.

It also doesn't melt like plastic does, cellophane is what oven bags are made from so it's not like we don't already have production capacity for it.

So tough. So so tough.

People I love have thought I have a restrictive eating disorder because I hate to eat around other people so much. It’s been difficult for me to explain to them, “The sound of you chewing makes me see horrible things in my mind. Violent, horrible things.”
I get the same feeling with the sound of babies crying. I feel bad but I can't help it. I have normal self-control, empathy and awareness to know to never hurt a baby (it's not in me at all to be violent towards anyone). But if I'm stuck in a public place near a crying baby or screaming toddler I see horrible things in my mind. Maybe I got it from my parents, as they hated the sound of other people's babies and kids crying as well, even though they are parents themselves and would never, ever harm a baby. I think they were more tolerant to the crying of babies when we were babies of course, but after those days were long gone they developed an uncontrollable irritation of babies and children in public places.

When the strap of my bag catches on the doorknob on the way out the door.

Leaving dishes full of water in the sink.

Clutter on surfaces.

Mess in general.

When the strap of my bag catches on the doorknob on the way out the door.

I hate that too. It can be embarrassing if it happens in public. I remember a few years ago I was walking into a store and a strap thing on the side of my shorts got caught on the door handle (which was unusually low in the door). My shorts weren't stretchy so it kinda made me stop dead, wondering why I couldn't move. To make it worse there was a crowd of people behind me wanting to get through the door too and the way I involuntarily stopped dead made them push behind me, wondering what I was doing.
It's these sorts of situations that make me anxious about going out in public.

I get the same feeling with the sound of babies crying. I feel bad but I can't help it. I have normal self-control, empathy and awareness to know to never hurt a baby (it's not in me at all to be violent towards anyone). But if I'm stuck in a public place near a crying baby or screaming toddler I see horrible things in my mind.
Yep. Same here. This one kind of makes sense that we feel this way since the crying sound of a baby evolved to be something that simply cannot be ignored or tuned out.

My brain shuts down when I hear the sound.

Yep. Same here. This one kind of makes sense that we feel this way since the crying sound of a baby evolved to be something that simply cannot be ignored or tuned out.

My brain shuts down when I hear the sound.
Yes, which is why sometimes I wish I were the parent because then I'd be in control. I don't mean magically able to stop the baby from crying but being the owner of the baby still makes you feel more in control than just hearing it as a stranger in the store and having to pretend like you're not bothered.

My brain doesn't shut down when I hear the sound, it just gets distracted on to the sound, preventing me from focusing on anything else.
When I was a teenager I had less control over my actions and would get all angry if a baby was crying near me in public. Like one time when I was 13 or 14 in a restaurant, a guy sat on the table next to us with a baby in a pram and it had the loudest cry known to man. I got so agitated, that I grabbed my hair and pulled it in rage, then kneed the table so all the plates and cups jumped. I just couldn't bear the baby and I resented people who take babies into restaurants.
I got scolded by my mum for being embarrassing.

As an adult I'm more able to have control over myself but I still feel the anxiety inside and I have to mask it because I don't want to draw attention to myself.

The sound of liquid being poured slowly...Waterfalls are ok though.
Noises from a busy restaurant kitchen
Tight socks
Babies crying(as mentioned by others)...as much as I love a content child
The tapping of a spoon on a bowl
Phones ringing
Dogs barking excessively
Drivers in front of my vehicle who push their brake too often
Flies
The list could go on and on......

When people amble on the sidewalk and don't walk in a straight line, so it's difficult to overtake. Then when you do manage to take over them you worry that you have offended them for some reason.

People who deliberately drive round with their car radios on at full volume with their windows open.
Noise in general.
Commercials/adverts.
People jumping the queue because they have fewer items.

I also hate ads, mostly on YouTube. I often wish I were rich so that I can pay for every app I have and not have to put up with any ads. Strangely I seem more accepting of ads on the TV than on the internet.

When games are slow going. I don't mean as in loading, but just when getting from one level to the next seems to take longer than needed because of added features or messages (but not ads), or having to wait for a little character to pop out from somewhere and wave or give a message or something, when all you want to do is skip past and do the next level.

When autocorrect corrects a commonly used word with another commonly used word, such as "put" to "out".

New Threads

Top Bottom