• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Links That Might Be Helpful For Dealing With People On the Autism/Aspergers Spectrum

Alaska

V.I.P Member
I am slowly plowing my way through vast quantities of information about Aspergers and Autism in order to get a better understanding of how to deal with it myself. It applies to other people on the Autism Spectrum as well. Some people on this forum are not yet sure whether they are on the Spectrum. Others are searching for ways to deal with it.

I am especially good at research. I am lousy at knowing what will interest other people. I like to share potentially helpful information.

I decided to put links that interest me here. If others are interested you can look here to see what my latest links are. Pick out whatever strikes your fancy.

Warning: I can get very industrious and creative when I start in on an interesting subject, so you might not want to read everything I put up here. I can overwhelm most NTs with sheer volume of information. If you happen to be obsessed with information about Aspergers/Autism and have an insatiable appetite for it, this could make you very happy. :)

https://www.iidc.indiana.edu/pages/important-predictors

Video on Asperger's Syndrome Signs and Treatments

How to Be Awesome at Approaching People

I put this one in because it seems to me that if they are right, they are just about eliminating the possibility that Aspies and Auties can be highly intelligent with a lot of their criteria. I know we have lots of us that have high I Qs, so their study must have a few bugs to work out.

How to Be Awesome at Approaching People

5 Essential People Skills Everyone Should Know - Science of People

Get Help With Autism
This one is at the site for the DSM, or book that psych types use for diagnosis. It can help you learn about yourself or loved one who is an Aspie or Autie. Or it can help you learn what psych types think they know, anyway.

Expert Q & A: Autism
This one is at the same site, but I have noticed that people often do not click on links at a site to look around. This one is especially relevant when dealing with children. Be sure to look around this site since it has lots of potentially helpful information.

I forgot to mention that understanding Autism/Aspergers can sometimes be helpful to pick out a therapist, in case you want to deal with a knowledgeable person. Some practitioners seriously rest on their laurels and stop learning more than is legally required. If you know enough, you can ask questions that will let you know whether the person you are talking to has kept up to date, or knows what you want them to know.

It has sometimes made a difference in being able to get better treatment because I could converse intelligently with a practitioner in their own jargon. This does not always work, but it usually does.

Autism Apps | Autism Speaks
This one is a very long list of apps. to help people who have Aspergers or Autism. A lot of them use iphones or ipads, but not all. They cover all sorts of things including education and training and organizing. It is so comprehensive it is hard to imagine that someone would not find something useful.

Autism Crew for American Hustle Anticipates New Exceptional Minds Studio (EMS) for Returning Movie Post-Production Jobs to U.S. - Press Release - Digital Journal This site is for a program to train Autistic adults to do post-production film work in the US instead of farming the work outside of our country. The training is in California and takes three years and includes certification.

Last edited:
Thanks for these. I'm also research obsessive. Nice to see another!
I bought a bunch of books and borrowed a ridiculous amount from my local library on autism and aspergers in girls. I pestered them for inter library loans on the titles they didn't hold themselves. I was quite persistent and ... forceful... totally out of character for me but i *needed* them.
I have discussed research i have read with my psychologist and i think I'm better informed than she is!

I can not edit this post any more, so I started a new thread, "More Help for Auties and Aspies".

I am adding posts there now. I also have several blog posts on the subject. My blog is called, "Musings".

New Threads

Top Bottom