• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lesee...

Incredible.Pie

I'm a techie. A major techie. I'm really into computers and electronics. I'm also into game consoles (but not games themselves, oddly enough). I mostly like modifying electronics in ways they shouldn't be modified, like mounting laptops to walls, to name a most recent project of mine. I like messing with Linux, and managed to build up my own distro from LFS (nerds will know what I'm talking about), but I found that to be sort of a waste, so now I use Arch.

I go on about this kind of thing too often, though. Someone mentions something vaguely technical and I suddenly start talking about how they can get this to do that by soldering this type of wire to their toaster after however long spent staying super quiet and staring at the ground. Speaking of soldering, that's the main thing I'm working on right now, but my hands are way too unsteady, and the more I try to steady them the shakier they get.

Anyways, ranting like that all of a sudden is very off-putting for just about everyone, so they generally stay away from me... unless they want me to fix their [insert electronic device], which I apparently should do for free out of the kindness of my heart.

I'm also obsessed with writing, although much less so than with computers. I tend to write very grim, dark stuff. In one short story, for example, I wrote about a guy coping with his girlfriend's suicide. But it's not all terrible. I like writing sci-fi stuff, too. I try to be as realistic as possible in all of my stories, but sci-fi lets you really explore your mind. I can't really do that with fantasy- there needs to be some sort of substance to what I'm writing, something that can be at least partially believable. I can't do that with fantasy.

Hm.. what else... I would say reading, but I guess that's just a component of writing.

Oh! Cars! I love pre-70's cars! Those things were made back when designers took pride in their work! Now cars are all bubbles and curves, but those older cars are just the best thing ever made. I would sell my soul to have a '71 Chevy Stingray... Hell, for just about any 50-60's car! Unfortunately I won't be getting anything like that ever...

cool, i plan on building myself a briefcase pc soon, cant solder to save my life though but going to get a gas iron to be a little more portable and hopefully get better, i love old cars, i would kill to have a 68 chevy camaro

Yes! Metallic blue on a car like that would look killer. Although that's not true for all older cars.

Oh, I forgot to add one: vintage hats. But that's more of a safety net than an obsession. For some reason I'm my least aspergesian when I'm wearing a ridiculous hat. Makes me feel good knowing that I couldn't possibly look any more ridiculous, no matter what I say or how I act.

But... I do look fine in a fedora. ;)

Oldest car I ever had was a '72 Holden Kingswood (an Australian made GM car). It was only 12 years old at the time, and cost me 800 bucks. And it was seriously ugly.

I used to lust after all sorts of cars, but these days I just see them as a functional item.

Computers... I bought my now wife a computer about 5 years ago. That was the first computer I ever had at home, and at that time I had 20 years working in IT under my belt. Computers have never interested me. I wish they did, I wish I could spend hours learning about all sorts of ins and outs of them. But I tend only to learn the stuff that I need to get my job done.

New Threads

Top Bottom