• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Last thing that made you think or say"WTH?!"

I came across an old thread I posted a good while back, talking about the TV series Life After People - a documentary series that looks at what could happen to Earth if every human suddenly disappeared (stating at the beginning of each episode "this isn't the story of how that might happen; it's the story of what happens to the world we leave behind").

Watching the first episode again (after the original pilot episode), it talked about if any of mankind's attempts to achieve 'immortality' would actually succeed in a world without us. One of the methods mentioned was a memory device (not sure if it's a computer disc, microchip or something else) onboard the International Space Station called "The Immortality Drive".
The Immortality Drive was created by Richard Garriot - a game developer from Houston, Texas who coined the term MMORPG and created the games Taula Rasa and Ultima. Richard also delivered the drive personally to the ISS onboard the spacecraft Soyusz TMA-13 in October 2008.

The drive serves as a digital time capsule; containing the Digitized DNA Information of numerous individuals, with the possibility that humanity could be 'recreated' in the future.

(Fast forward to 5:00)

I found the idea to be intriguing at the very least, so I decided to look for more information about whose DNA was actually on the drive - having my 'wtf' moment when I saw some of the people who had been selected: https://io9.gizmodo.com/5046660/stephen-colberts-dna-to-be-sent-into-space-become-self-aware
Surely if you're going to be sending humanity's digitized DNA into space, wouldn't you go for the cream of the crop or at least a more diverse group of men and women? I don't think television writers should be the majority of the people getting digital copies of their DNA placed in a time capsule.

Also, as the video above points out at around 12:20, putting it on the ISS might not be such a good idea...
I watched the first few episodes of this series, but it got rather boring after a while because it was just more of the same thing really. What I will say is all these fictitious apocalyptic movies and TV series that don't involve a nuclear war when the power goes off indefinitely have never taken into account that all the nuclear power stations melt down after about a month without any power and people, eventually the backup generators fail and the water coolant evaporates, then every single nuclear power station is like the Chernobyl disaster, but even worse they'd be no-one around to ultimately cap the reactors so the fall out being expelled into the atmosphere would continue for longer. All this would cause a very serious amount of radioactive fall out around the planet to say the very least. Here is a list of nuclear power stations around the world, please click here, that's an awful lot of meltdowns, around 447 on the last check with even more in development.

Another very similar documentary which I found excellent is Aftermath: Population Zero from National Geographic which you can watch on Youtube (I won't link here). The other episodes in the Aftermath TV documentary series are "World Without Oil", "When the Earth Stops Spinning" and "Swallowed By The Sun".

Last edited:
We should make sure we clean up after ourselves before we leave...

The last thing that made me say wth? Was, I m just not shocked by the world and it's ways anymore. o_O?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the first few episodes of this series, but it got rather boring after a while because it was just more of the same thing really. What I will say is all these fictitious apocalyptic movies and TV series that don't involve a nuclear war when the power goes off indefinitely have never taken into account that all the nuclear power stations melt down after about a month without any power and people, eventually the backup generators fail and the water coolant evaporates, then every single nuclear power station is like the Chernobyl disaster, but even worse they'd be no-one around to ultimately cap the reactors so the fall out being expelled into the atmosphere would continue for longer. All this would cause a very serious amount of radioactive fall out around the planet to say the very least. Here is a list of nuclear power stations around the world, please click here, that's an awful lot of meltdowns, around 447 on the last check with even more in development.

Another very similar documentary which I found excellent is Aftermath: Population Zero from National Geographic which you can watch on Youtube (I won't link here). The other episodes in the Aftermath TV documentary series are "World Without Oil", "When the Earth Stops Spinning" and "Swallowed By The Sun".

The pilot episode did cover the nuclear plants melting down; the episode is here but is poor quality (and apologies if you've already seen it):

The pilot episode did cover the nuclear plants melting down; the episode is here but is poor quality (and apologies if you've already seen it):

Yeah I should had said fictitious movies and TV series dramas, I knew one of the more serious documentaries covered it. For instance TV series like The Last Man on Earth, Survivors (there was an 1975 original series and 2008 reboot), Revolution and various plague or zombie TV and movies don't take it into account, the fall out after a month or so would be severe and would ultimately spread around the entire planet making it very hazardous to any remaining humans and animals.

The Doctor told me this morning that the Hospital haven't sent my blood test results from 2 weeks ago, and I now need a new blood test for my Diabetes, I was literally like WTH?! Do they think I actually LIKE needles or something?

I wouldn't mind but this ain't the first time the Hospital has lost important results of mine, back in October 1999 I had an MRI up at the Northern General, and they said the results of that went into what they called a "black hole", Jesus wept.

Topic.

For me it was reading on my Facebook that Donald Trump is on the verge of winning the latest Presidential debate.

The man is a moron, if he gets in I officially give up on North America.

I had to laugh when reading this, because, living here in the USA, every single day living under that donald trump - every time he opens his mouth, I have to say “WTH? I am currently ashamed of being an American, and no, I did not vote for that him.

Okay, I've got a new one.

I'm out driving, right. I live in the middle of bloody nowhere, yet even that is too crowded for me. So I often take long routes through the middle of even more bloody nowhere. Roads nobody seems to know exist. There's this one road, Jefferson, that is particularly blank. This goes past a farm and a couple of large properties.... but nothing ever happens here. Nothing. It's a very peaceful place with a nice view of the bloody nothing that makes up most of the area. My favorite road to just roam down. I drive down it all the time, but I've probably seen other cars on it MAYBE 5 times total, and never more than one.

So, I'm driving along, and lo and behold, there's this car. Not moving. Not near a building, just.... on the side of the road. I slow down drastically at this point because I have no idea what this guy is going to do. He gets out of the car. As he's doing this I notice a glint of some sort of metal in front of the car (the car is facing away from me). Dunno what's up with that yet.

I slow down more because suddenly I need to visually focus on him. Is he... is he wearing a cape? Is that a blue cape he's got on? What? Upon further examination, yes. It's a cape. In his hand, he's holding... something that looks like a rod of some sort.

He sort of swaggers his way towards the front of the car, and then there's alot of wild arm motion, him still facing away from me, now standing in front of whatever the metal bit was. I"m going REALLY slow now because I'm waiting for Cthulhu to come flying out of the ground or whatever else might result from the crazed ritual he's clearly performing.

None of the Great Old Ones come out of anywhere, that's a relief at least, and I keep going forward. And... the metal thing. It's a full drum set. Let me repeat that, a full drum set. In the middle of the bloody road next to a farm field in an area with no real houses or buildings or much of anything at all (I cant overstate just how blank this area is). And this guy is there, with a freaking cape, banging on this giant set of drums that he has set up there.

......What the heck else do I even say about this? I mean this is the sort of utter weirdness that I expect to see at an anime convention. Not on the side of a road in an area NOBODY ever goes down!

....Did I mention the cape?

I've only been on this site a few days but I guess the OP gave up on North America. But that's all right, I gave up on the *world* a long time ago.:expressionless:
Earlier this week I learned that there was a lot of people flipping their lid over a non-Asian girl wearing a traditional Chinese dress for her prom, going on about "cultural appropriation." My mother told me that in Salt Lake City where this "incident" occurred, there are a lot of Mormon people, so I guess that makes sense. Of course, the guys can still wear practically whatever they want.

I've only been on this site a few days but I guess the OP gave up on North America. But that's all right, I gave up on the *world* a long time ago.:expressionless:
Earlier this week I learned that there was a lot of people flipping their lid over a non-Asian girl wearing a traditional Chinese dress for her prom, going on about "cultural appropriation." My mother told me that in Salt Lake City where this "incident" occurred, there are a lot of Mormon people, so I guess that makes sense. Of course, the guys can still wear practically whatever they want.
As long as it's not explicit or in any way purposely and blatantly offensive, E.g. with offensive writing on it, people should be allowed to wear what they want when they're out casually, I most definitely wouldn't want to as a 48 year old man, but if I did I should be allowed to walk around dressed up as a fairy in a frilly pink dress if I wanted to or perhaps even wear a kilt even though I'm English and not Scottish. The non Asian girl hurt absolutely no-one and she should be allowed to wear it if she wants, you could say people are being racist by having an issue with it because the only reason there is an issue is because of her race.

Last edited:
Okay, I've got one more small one. This time I'm the source of the WTF.

Just a bit of gaming, playing The Sims 4. But some bizarre problems are happening in it, like character ignoring commands and sort of blanking out, or doing really strange actions they arent supposed to. Later proved to be a technical problem that required some fixing on my end. But, well, when I get frustrated with games I tend to yell at the screen, because why not.

So, I imagine it was a bit confusing for those in the living room to suddenly hear "JUST FEED THE TODDLER, YOU DRAIN CLOG!!! ....NO, DONT EAT IT YOURSELF, ARRRGH"

Actually, this outrage is not new, and has been written and podcasted about before way before this incident. It DOES matter to cultures that have been historically marginalized. For example, since the 70s, Native Americans have been complaining about how their ways of dress are appropriated and misused by non Native Americans. People like to play dress up in “Indian” inspired outfits, and jewelry. There have been huge legal cease and desist battles with name brand fashion names who have come out with “Indian” clothing lines. It’s just plain wrong!

Native Americans have gone through a terrible holocaust in this country and continue to endure extreme poverty, the highest suicide rates of any other population, and extreme rates of alcoholism, domestic violence, and murder- on reservations. Their land was stolen, they were systemically killed in the 1800s, deliberately given blankets laden with smallpox, and given alcohol in order to have them sign treaties (that have never once been honored - to this very day!). Native Americans, along with many Asians, lack the gene to process alcohol- thus they cannot drink it like “white people”. Cherokees endured death marches (thousands of miles) not unlike the marches forced on concentration camp Jews in the final days of hitler’s reign. To this very day, Native Americans endure tremendous racism from non Indians (just go to Wisconsin- mid and northern regions to see and hear the hate- or Montana, Wyoming, Utah.)

Native American children by the hundreds of thousands were forcibly sent away to “Indian boarding schools” up until the mid 20th Century- the children were brutally beaten, often raped by staff, and forbidden to speak their native languages. The idea was to “take the Indian out of them.” This happened all over the lower 48 states, Alaska, and Canada. In the 1950s, Indians were once again forced to leave the reservation- given one months rent Money and shipped to three cities: Los Angelas, California; St Paul, Minnesota; and Chicago, Illinois. They were clueless as to living in urban areas, off th reservations and great poverty and further alcoholism created pockets of Indians in these cities. They were not skilled in trades, and could not find work. So yes, it’s a bad idea to dress up in indigenous people’s cultural clothing. You are sending a message that you are ignorant of the history of a people, don’t care, and are playing dress up.

The same can be said of Asian clothing. Many Asians DO feel racism. The Japanese had their lands and property stolen during WW2- they were imprisioned in California camps for years. They underwent extreme racism for decades afterwards.p, and not only in the USA. The Japanese divided to assimilate, losing their cultural identity in the US. It’s is only recently that Japanese are expressing interest in finding their traditions and lost culture. It is finally safe for them to do so. There are articles about this online.

The Chinese were indentured slaves who built the railroads in the late 1800s. The American government passed law as forbidding these men to bring any Chinese women- wives, or loved ones to the USA. The USA also banned any Chinese from entering the country. They have endured a terrible American history. Read about the Chinese Exclusian Act here: Chinese Exclusion Act - Wikipedia. Many Asian people: Filipino, Vietnamese, Korean, etc. feel great racism to this very day. I certainly can understand why some might feel the way they do about people misappropriating their culture for the sake of “fun fashion.”

Clothes are powerful communication. Most of us have spent too much time in our younger lives paying attention to fashion, and wearing just the right thing on a date, or going to school. Clothes send strong messages- just look at the way gangs use clothing to identify each other. When one dresses up in another culture’s traditional clothing, one should be aware of the history, racism, and suffering that nation’s people have gone through. There is nothing admirable about cultural misappropriation just for fashion fun sake.

Last edited:
Okay, I've got a new one.

I'm out driving, right. I live in the middle of bloody nowhere, yet even that is too crowded for me. So I often take long routes through the middle of even more bloody nowhere. Roads nobody seems to know exist. There's this one road, Jefferson, that is particularly blank. This goes past a farm and a couple of large properties.... but nothing ever happens here. Nothing. It's a very peaceful place with a nice view of the bloody nothing that makes up most of the area. My favorite road to just roam down. I drive down it all the time, but I've probably seen other cars on it MAYBE 5 times total, and never more than one.

So, I'm driving along, and lo and behold, there's this car. Not moving. Not near a building, just.... on the side of the road. I slow down drastically at this point because I have no idea what this guy is going to do. He gets out of the car. As he's doing this I notice a glint of some sort of metal in front of the car (the car is facing away from me). Dunno what's up with that yet.

I slow down more because suddenly I need to visually focus on him. Is he... is he wearing a cape? Is that a blue cape he's got on? What? Upon further examination, yes. It's a cape. In his hand, he's holding... something that looks like a rod of some sort.

He sort of swaggers his way towards the front of the car, and then there's alot of wild arm motion, him still facing away from me, now standing in front of whatever the metal bit was. I"m going REALLY slow now because I'm waiting for Cthulhu to come flying out of the ground or whatever else might result from the crazed ritual he's clearly performing.

None of the Great Old Ones come out of anywhere, that's a relief at least, and I keep going forward. And... the metal thing. It's a full drum set. Let me repeat that, a full drum set. In the middle of the bloody road next to a farm field in an area with no real houses or buildings or much of anything at all (I cant overstate just how blank this area is). And this guy is there, with a freaking cape, banging on this giant set of drums that he has set up there.

......What the heck else do I even say about this? I mean this is the sort of utter weirdness that I expect to see at an anime convention. Not on the side of a road in an area NOBODY ever goes down!

....Did I mention the cape?

Sounds like a fabulously surreal moment in time. I love experiencing those kind of moments!

Okay. I didnt think I'd post in here again anytime soon, but I found one more.

This one isnt my story (boy am I ever glad for that), and instead I found it on the Net. But it's just so "WTF", yet also not an implausible thing, that I had to put it here.

Be warned: I wouldnt touch this one if you're.... squeamish, if that's the right word. Oh there's no blood or anything involved. But for some people, what IS involved might be way worse than that. And yes, there are pictures here.

My own reaction was pretty much equal to this guy's expression:

OMuph.gif

If you can handle it though... it's a good read. For a given value of "good".

Still, you've been warned.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, here is the link: She went to the ER with a Live Roach in My Ear and It Was as Horrifying as You Think (not my story but...)

...What else do I even say here? What could I possibly add to that? I dunno.

I found out this morning that my main carer is leaving because she has a 17 month old boy who she can no longer get child care for because all her family works full time.

She told me this morning, with Mum sat at the side of her on the Sofa and I was literally like, WTH?!

Last night I saw a YouTube video with a really weird title "Savage Babies Use Toxic Lead Paint on a Wall". If that's not clickbait I don't know what it, but I clicked it anyway. What I saw was CGI animation of toddlers who are scribbling on a wall and being very naughty, but not "savage", and when their parents are upset with them, they dress up like painters and repaint the wall with different colors while a song played that was TERRIBLE. It sounded really distorted and the lyrics sounded like that were taken from a different language. But other than that it looked pretty harmless and there's no way to tell if they're using lead paint. I must have been in *that* part of YouTube again.o_O

Last edited:
Today I was watching baby guinea pigs at the pet store.:hearteyes: Then an older lady came up to me, and first she was going "awww", over how cute the piggies were, but then she told me they carry ringworm. Or was it roundworm? I get the two mixed up but I was bewildered at this because I owned guinea pigs when I was younger and did my research on caring for them and never heard of them getting ringworm. But she kept saying "Yeah, they carry ringworm." Well, until I see a poor guinea pig with round bald spots on its body I can't really confirm that.

Today I was watching baby guinea pigs at the pet store.:hearteyes: Then an older lady came up to me, and first she was going "awww", over how cute the piggies were, but then she told me they carry ringworm. Or was it roundworm? I get the two mixed up but I was bewildered at this because I owned guinea pigs when I was younger and did my research on caring for them and never heard of them getting ringworm. But she kept saying "Yeah, they carry ringworm." Well, until I see a poor guinea pig with round bald spots on its body I can't really confirm that.

I never heard of that either! So many children get guinea pigs. If it were true we would have heard many years ago. It’s NOT true.

I never heard of that either! So many children get guinea pigs. If it were true we would have heard many years ago. It’s NOT true.
Like most mammals guinea pigs can also get ringworm as well as other parasite infections and ringworm happens to be quite common in that particular species, but effective treatment is available and preventative measures can also be taken. This however shouldn't stop you from getting a guinea pig or any other pet, just be aware of it and take the necessary measures to keep them healthy. To generally state that guinea pigs carry ringworm is misleading however, it's a bit like saying that dogs and cats carry fleas which would be similarly misleading even though it could be a problem if not monitored and treated.

Here is some more information, the article continues onto 2 pages:

Ringworm Infection in Guinea Pigs | petMD

PS: Despite it's name ringworm infections are actually a type of fungal infection, NOT a parasitic worm at all. Ringworm can spread to humans the same as any other animals, but it is easily treatable, please click here for more info.

Last edited:
Like most mammals guinea pigs can also get ringworm as well as other parasite infections and ringworm happens to be quite common in that particular species, but effective treatment is available and preventative measures can also be taken. This however shouldn't stop you from getting a guinea pig or any other pet, just be aware of it and take the necessary measures to keep them healthy. To generally state that guinea pigs carry ringworm is misleading however, it's a bit like saying that dogs and cats carry fleas which would be similarly misleading even though it could be a problem if not monitored and treated.

Here is some more information, the article continues onto 2 pages:

Ringworm Infection in Guinea Pigs | petMD

PS: Despite it's name ringworm infections are actually a type of fungal infection, NOT a parasitic worm at all.

Gosh, I stand corrected. Thank you for that, Pjcnet

New Threads

Top Bottom