• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just another introduction thread

Do you think I might be autistic?

• Total voters
I’m not sure whether I should be here. I’m an adult and I haven’t gotten any kind of diagnosis but, recently, a work counsellor suggested that I might be autistic.

Based on the research that I’ve done, there does seem to be a fair possibility of it.

This is kind of a new idea for me and I want to explore it. I tried to get the counsellor to open up to me about their experiences as a neurotypical person, so I could compare, but they didn’t seem to understand what I was asking for.

I’ve been ‘odd’ my entire life - but it’s only recently that I’ve understood just HOW odd. I’m pretty good professionally but social interaction exhausts me beyond all reason. I spent most of my time, at the moment, feeling like I’m carrying a huge millstone around my neck. Or I feel like I’m a swan on a swift-flowing river, paddling furiously just to stay in one place.

I’m looking for insight, really. Anything you’ve got would be great! ‍♀️

4d5b28eb63e72c72fe36aa3de7ff74c6.png

Think this might be an excellent place to meet other swans, @Fino the duck, and all the others here. There are excellent posts to read, and coffee is served all day in the virtual lobby. Sometimes you find donuts too. lol

Hi and welcome. I'm the one that has to break it to people that the coffee and doughnuts are virtual. Sorry.

What you say about how you are could be autism, did you ask the counsellor what in particular they were picking up on that made them think you may be? That could be useful. Is it fully confidential with a work counsellor? Or could you be discussed with managers? They aren't always glad to find they have staff with autism. Usually they may not understand what autism is, and think it's a problem. Do you think your workplace welcomes autism?

I hope you enjoy it here and find it useful and supportive.

:coffee::doughnut::coffee::melon::coffee::doughnut::coffee::cookie::coffee::cookie::coffee::doughnut::coffee:

Hi and welcome. I'm the one that has to break it to people that the coffee and doughnuts are virtual. Sorry.

What you say about how you are could be autism, did you ask the counsellor what in particular they were picking up on that made them think you may be? That could be useful. Is it fully confidential with a work counsellor? Or could you be discussed with managers? They aren't always glad to find they have staff with autism. Usually they may not understand what autism is, and think it's a problem. Do you think your workplace welcomes autism?

I hope you enjoy it here and find it useful and supportive.

:coffee::doughnut::coffee::melon::coffee::doughnut::coffee::cookie::coffee::cookie::coffee::doughnut::coffee:

The thing they initially picked up on is my description of exhaustion after social events. I’ve been at the point where a single party at a pub can knock me out for three days - to the point of not being able to get out of bed, having full body aches and... it’s kind of like ‘flu, but without the fever. Being overlooked (in an open plan office) at work, and hearing all of the sounds going on around me is incredibly distracting and exhausting. I also had to consciously learn social interaction. I’m very good at it, now, except when I meet a situation I’ve not considered or come across before - but I just find it exhausting. I spend most of my time exhausted at the moment. It’s this job that’s made it really clear to me that I have an issue, since I have to be on the phone so much to people and it really matters that I get it right.

The counsellor said that it sounds like ‘overstimulation’ - because, often, there’s a point I reach where my brain goes ‘nope!’ and then I lose my inhibition, can get uncontrollably giggly, can’t drag myself to say coherent sentences. If I keep going past that point, that’s when I risk the ‘flu thing.

After that discussion, I went off and did some research on autism in women and, although the diagnostic criteria seemed much more vague for women, I did notice A LOT of similarities. I have issues with certain textures, sounds and crowds. I’m not shy at all, but being in large crowds can make me very uncomfortable.

There were some things that popped up in descriptions that weren’t diagnostic but were things that I’ve literally never considered might be part of it, and that I’ve never seen anyone else have issues with - like not being able to tell that I’m thirsty until I’m REALLY thirsty. That used to lead to crying fits when I was a kid - because I’d need a drink NOW, once I’d noticed I was thirsty, and any delay would be really upsetting. My mum used to think I was doing it to be awkward, I think, or because I wanted juice rather than water. Certain sounds make me really angry, too - like irrationally so. My partner had to learn to stop ‘popping’ with his mouth when he was thinking, because it gives me a nauseous, irritable feeling that I can’t shake and completely distracts me from my train of thought. I have problems with wet hands, too - a response to the texture of them that can make me yelp if it happens unexpectedly. I can’t share baths or go swimming with anyone unless they’ve been fully briefed on the issue. Also, I don’t like to be touched - and that can lead to an overstimulation response too. At a certain point I can just get very prickly and then I get really irritated by it and have to remove myself. My partner (the one who loves cuddles) found this baffling for a long time, though he’s used to it now.

The rest - well, I did basically learn how to do social interaction like a ‘normal’ person from the ground up, consciously. I think that’s what I find so exhausting. It doesn’t come naturally to me so I am hyper-focussed on it, especially when it matters, and it’s like doing interviews (which is also exhausting). Additionally, I have strong and specific interests in certain complex topics which I can talk AT someone for hours about, if they give me any encouragement at all. I have to warn people - ‘don’t bring up X topic unless you really want to discuss it’ - because I find it really hard to stop or rein it in.

As for the employer - I think I’ve got a better chance with them than most. They have a name for being very inclusive and having a very large work force that means they can reassign people to different roles without a great deal of difficulty. I spoke to my union rep and he suggested one that I may find easier. The part that worries me more is other employers, after this one. Because most of them are like you say and I’m worried that a diagnosis would lead to stigma in those contexts.

If I am autistic, then most people would never know unless I told them. I’m just so sick of being tired all of the time. It started affecting my mental health - I started feeling like I would be trapped in my job, with no actual chance to live, for the rest of my life. Just struggling along, paddling so furiously that I’m too exhausted to do anything else at all. It’s not a life I want to live, you know?

Thanks for your tact about the doughnuts, though.

Yes WolfS I was somewhat catatonic, had a lot of chronic fatigue type symptoms, could barely get out of bed, had no sense of time passing, no exec function. took a few years before it lifted, that's how I got dx'ed. It was a bit like the catatonia stuff in the film Melancholia, but I think that's supposed to be a portrayal of depression.

Yes WolfS I was somewhat catatonic, had a lot of chronic fatigue type symptoms, could barely get out of bed, had no sense of time passing, no exec function. took a few years before it lifted, that's how I got dx'ed. It was a bit like the catatonia stuff in the film Melancholia, but I think that's supposed to be a portrayal of depression.

Oh my. Yes. It would explain A LOT. I feel like I’ve been exhausted almost all of my adult life - that I’ve never known that sense of peace or excess energy that people so often seem to have to fill their weekends and evenings with fun, productive things to do.

Well, aside from when I was out of work due to the pandemic - but that kind of led to a touch of depression in the end, so it didn’t really feel that restful.

I’ve genuinely had thoughts of ‘what’s the point?’ recently. Like, what’s the point in living like this? I don’t mean this in a depressing sense - just a practical one. I’m getting nothing out of it except somehow simply existing.

How did you get out of burnout? What did you have to do? What did it take?

I’ve honestly never met anyone else who has related to this sense of exhaustion. I miss the old me. If I weren’t so unable to think or do anything, I’d think my life is... miserable, right now. I used to write, to play music, to go for long walks in nature, to draw, to enjoy spending hours getting ready to go out (I love clothes). Now I just exist. I wear whatever is most comfortable. I can barely even face doing my washing, never mind doing fun projects. My creativity has just gone.

How did you get out of burnout? What did you have to do? What did it take?

I’ve honestly never met anyone else who has related to this sense of exhaustion. I miss the old me. If I weren’t so unable to think or do anything, I’d think my life is... miserable, right now. I used to write, to play music, to go for long walks in nature, to draw, to enjoy spending hours getting ready to go out (I love clothes). Now I just exist. I wear whatever is most comfortable. I can barely even face doing my washing, never mind doing fun projects. My creativity has just gone.

oh I had to get out of an unpleasant and antagonistic living situation (other people), that was a big help, but with no energy or exec function, it wasn't easy or quick, I couldn't plan well. Won't apply to everyone but I started to read the bible a lot and pray a lot, I couldn't see any other help source, but it's always been an interest of mine.

I bathed a lot, which is something portrayed in the film I mentioned, as though I could wash it off. Tried a few anti depressants, didn't feel they could get me out of there, doctor suggested seeing someone about chronic fatigue (some docs accept and treat that, it does have mental effects), but I was pursuing an autism dx at the time, so thought I'd stick with that course. Got my dx which enabled me to apply for disability pension, which took a year to be approved, so with a reliable income I could finally get out of that living situation, and stay out.

I wasn't eating well because I couldn't remember if I'd eaten or not due to time-memory issues, the doc encouraged me to buy and eat higher calorie food, (I had lost a lot of weight, didn't know why, was living on milk and bread).

Finally started to have more clarity on occasions and getting out of the house more was quite helpful, I felt more normal out of the house cos of antagonisms there, eventually had enough clarity to book and plan an exit, disability pension meant it wouldn't all fall apart, so all up 3-4 years of inertia, and still wasn't completely myself again for longer than that, I was in a bit of shock from the dx as well, like dx shock.

Not sure how helpful this is cos individual situations are gonna vary a lot, just hang in there and try and eat well. The doc was some help but just in terms of short useful advice stuff. I realised if I didn't get out of that house, I'd die there, it was draining me, I noticed this many times when out of the house I felt so much better.

Hello & welcome.
Also the above post (I’ve not really worked out how to use this site yet).
  1. Just highlight the text that you want to respond to and click on "Reply."
  2. The quoted text will be in your unsent post at the bottom of the page.
  3. Type in your response and hit the "Enter" key.
  4. Then, you can go highlight more text and repeat or click on "Post Reply" to complete your post.
(BTW, who is DK?)
full

there's offsite blogs that talk about it, not sure what's around onsite. if you do a net search on autistic burnout, there's some info.

New Threads

Top Bottom