• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Job options for a math phd?

YiskaChava

Hi!
V.I.P Member
**this is a repost of my profile status**

I'm still looking for jobs. I have a math phd but I like to write and read so I've been looking at technical writing jobs. Anyone have any recommendations on what someone with a science phd could do that is not academic or industrial?

I currently work at a defense laboratory and I don't really like it.

Mathematics can be applied to almost any thing its one of those things that require out of the box thinking with you having to find the box. the box or job may not find you, maybe you need to show others how to make the the box and then be avalaible to jump into the box.

What was yr PhD exactly, is it's content relevant to work you'd like to do? Did you enjoy doing it, and choose it yourself? What have others with a similar PhD done? If you were not enjoying your PhD content, maybe try to list what you do enjoy at work or in studying? Interaction with others? Research? Focus on a particular area you are interested in? Technical writing? It can be hard to know what you want to do as work until you try some jobs, so maybe plunge into something else and see how you like it, if you continue to be unsure.

You need to find a box maker, more commonly know as a entrepreneur, and ask them how could they use you skill.

What was yr PhD exactly, is it's content relevant to work you'd like to do? Did you enjoy doing it, and choose it yourself? What have others with a similar PhD done? If you were not enjoying your PhD content, maybe try to list what you do enjoy at work or in studying? Interaction with others? Research? Focus on a particular area you are interested in? Technical writing? It can be hard to know what you want to do as work until you try some jobs, so maybe plunge into something else and see how you like it, if you continue to be unsure.
My phd was in applied mathematics with application in condensed matter physics. Theoretical, no lab work. However, I don't want to do anymore research. I do miss teaching but a lot of academic teaching positions require research.

My peers mainly either go to professorships or laboratory work. I work at a laboratory now doing computational research but I don't like it. I never really liked my research.

I would like to do something that involves science and writing though.

It's not so much science, but what about finance / management consulting?

Math and Physics PhDs both tend to be quite sought after in the finance community, but even if you don't want to be a stock market quant, consulting firms (PWC, McKinsey, EY, BCG, etc.) would probably be quite interested in bringing you on for projects.

I see. What else do you like, in addition to liking teaching? Would you want to teach at college or school level? Could you write text books?

I have a couple of college diplomas , no research duties to required to teach at this level. I took courses in college for how to make paint coating's application was my job. One of my classmates had a PHD in Chemistry, worked as a high school science teacher during the day, his hobby was making specialty paint for local contractors. in his kitchen, using the kitchen blender

Last edited:
Hi Yiska. I work at one of the financial businesses mentioned in this thread, and if you're willing to do a video chat with me, I'd be more than happy to refer you. You'd definitely be a great person to work in a computer related department. They give you training for what you don't know. Having a referral helps you get in the door too. As long as you aren't picky about where you move to, you would be compensated reasonably if you got the job. Just to make sure, do you think you'd enjoy working with a computer all day?

**this is a repost of my profile status**

I'm still looking for jobs. I have a math phd but I like to write and read so I've been looking at technical writing jobs. Anyone have any recommendations on what someone with a science phd could do that is not academic or industrial?

I currently work at a defense laboratory and I don't really like it.
If you know your way around Excel and Python (or some other basic coding), you could be a game designer in the gaming industry (slot machines, video poker, etc).

If you shine at statistical analysis, there are tons of jobs in Big Data.

I’m not sure what to recommend, but I have a career in the science field (animal behavioral science/psychology- I am a professional dog trainer but more formally a dog behaviorist. I also study dog coat color genetics and breed-specific traits.) I was certified as a trainer by the CCPDT.

But I’m sure that’s not the kind of scientific field you’re looking for… I live outside of a city that has a lot of biotech and medical science companies, and can do some research on those if any sound appealing.

I second the suggestions of finance and consulting firms though, and I have a few family members who work in those industries who I can ask for advice if you’d like :)

Sorry if I couldn’t be more helpful!

In my extended family, we have a few Comptrollers (high level accountants) who work in oil mining. You'd be very rich, and travel a lot.

You having at the pinnacle of educational achievement and the ground state of most other sciences hard or soft gives you so many avenues you can pick any you want, looks like physics has already picked you, Now unpic and
choose again.

With a PhD in mathematics there are a plethora of jobs available.

I was a double major and received a BS in Geography and Physics, and a MA in Physics. These disciplines opened up huge field of possibilities and placed me in a field that I absolutely loved.

Before you decide to leave your current job, I would talk to your supervisor/leader and express your thoughts. I am sure they would rather transfer you to a different area than to lose you.

Thank you all for the responses. These are some really good suggestions. I guess part of my thing is that I want to move to a specific place. Back to where I went to grad school (it's only 50 min from my hometown). I don't want to be faculty though. I know most of my friends aren't there anymore but at least the place is familiar.

My job is currently remote and it looks like it will stay that way permanently. There might be a few in-person office visits required or strongly pushed for. My department does have an office in San Jose.

New Threads

Top Bottom