• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Japanese obsession

RemiAspie

Hello, My name is Remi and i am a female teen who is 99.99% Sure i have aspergers sydrome (i follow all of the syntoms perfectly) however im not sure about the obsession part. Does an obsession with japanese stuff count? It started out with an obsession for manga and now it has somehow spread to an extreame obsession for anything japanese. As you may have guessed My name isnt even Remi, i just like to use japanese names. I also now know over 500 words in the japanese grammer and when im on youtube im pretty sure i probably subscribed to all the japanese/japanese culture channels and people. and I practice cooking thier food and talking in the manner they talk in. Like the bowing for respect thing. I would rather spend hours on the computer researching the japanese culture than hang out with the few friends i have.
(whitch is why i get occational heath problems from sitting infront of the computer to long.) So anyway, do you think a japanese Obsession would count as an obsession in aspergers?

I'm confident that it qualifies, even if you don't follow it as strongly as you described. (Yes, it counts).

That counts! Especially if you get upset if you can't pursue it. Then it would point even more to Aspergers! It's odd that you should be obsessed with anything Japanese because I know of another Aspie who's also obsessed with it.

I'm very interested in Japan myself. In fact, I went there for a week with two of my housemates at the start of the month. It was a great experience. The three of us are anime fans, so that was the primary focus of the trip, but we also did a bit of exploring. Japan was a bit different from what I was expecting, but in a good way. I don't think anyone fully knows what Japan is like until they actually visit it. We plan to go there for a month next summer. :D

Japan is one of those weird and wonderful places I might like to visit one day. One day when I have money and time to burn. :p How long are the flights from the UK? Lol.

Japan is one of those weird and wonderful places I might like to visit one day. One day when I have money and time to burn. :p How long are the flights from the UK? Lol.

Both the departure and return trips were split into two. We had get a flight to Finland (three hours), then a flight from there to Japan (about nine hours). I had never been on a plane before, so it was a new experience for me. The first flight wasn't that bad, as I could look out of the window and gawp at the view. The rest of the flights were pretty dull as they were all during the night, so seeing anything was impossible. The entertainment system helped a bit, but I ran out of stuff to watch in the end.

...but was the trip worth enduring the long flights? Heck yes!

:S Ugh, that's a long time to be 'up there'. :p I've been to America twice (Both of these trips were over 10 years ago now - disneyland, woo), they were 8 hour trips each way, but I think I might have an issue with flying now I can realise the dangers more... i.e. Nobody had been flown into a building when i went. Probably an irrational fear, but meh. :(

...Thinking about it, Finland? :blink: That's an odd route to take unless I'm not picturing things properly in my head lol.

Yeah, we flew up to Finland, then we flew across across Russia (and a little bit of China) to reach Japan. Our holiday was pretty cheap, so that's why we had to take connecting flights both ways.

@Chris: I recall my former English teacher saying that air travel was the safest form of travel :p.
I don't know if I'd go to Japan or not. I'd have to be confident with the language or go with someone... which I don't think I'd enjoy. LOL.
EMZ=]

Yeah, I've heard all the facts Emor - its safer than driving too for example... but I think I'm scared of it. Not entirely sure... won't find out until I come to having to use a plane.

@Chris: I recall my former English teacher saying that air travel was the safest form of travel :p.
I don't know if I'd go to Japan or not. I'd have to be confident with the language or go with someone... which I don't think I'd enjoy. LOL.
EMZ=]

Knowing the language isn't essential, but me and my friends did feel as though we were missing out slightly when we couldn't respond to everyone beyond saying 'Arigatou'. We could understand what they were saying most of the time, but we didn't really know enough to have a simple conversation (well, that and we weren't entirely confident to use what little Japanese we did know). I think we are going to make a bit more of an effort to learn the language next time.

There was a lot of English signing and announcements, though. That was really helpful. A lot of people also spoke English (e.g. staff at the train stations, a waitress at a Sushi bar).

@Chris. I've been on a plane a few times and I don't like it. I hate the take off and then I kind of calm down but then all of a sudden I freak out...internally, and get really irrational. Any holidays abroad for us will be...fun. lol

Whatever. B grade in English and I wasn't even there for the classes. I'm not that bad!

It's called being a weeaboo (OK, there are technically distinctions, but in today's society "Japanophile" and "weeaboo" are NEARLY synonymous, with only a small handful of exceptions), and it's actually quite common in people (particularly for geeks).

'Japanophile' is probably the least offensive term out of the two, though. In general, 'weeaboo' is used by people who think people like that should 'get a life'. That's not always the case, mind. I know a Steam group that proudly call themselves 'The Weeaboutique'.

New Threads

Top Bottom