• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It's weird.

Starflowerpower87

I always have to be around people. I feel more comfortable and calm in a crowd than I do alone. But when it comes to talking to people one on one I'm very uncomfortable and can only manage small talk most of the time. It's just weird that I need to be around people so much. I hate living alone.

No more weird than having true extroverts within our ranks.

Just goes to show you what an eclectic lot we can be, all along that broad spectrum of traits and behaviors. ;)

I get incredibly lonely sometimes. Yes I like people watching too. But I'm horrid at conversation. I clam right up. And if I'm around people for too long, I start to feel like a cat who got pet the wrong way. Just yucky and tingly.

After a little bit of social time, I like to retreat back into my hobbit hole and play with yarn and eat food in a shady room.

I think because of my childhood im in a weird state where i want to be around people but only either online or, if in person, someone i know very well.

I've never been comfortable living alone.
But I'm not comfortable around people I don't know well.
Not for very long anyway.

It takes years for me to bond to someone enough to want to live with them.
That's why I stayed with the one I knew from birth, my mom.
When she died, I moved in with an older man and was so on edge I was miserable.
But I needed a place to live with a rent I could afford.
His personality was verbally abusive which didn't help.

Now, eleven years later, he's calmed down quite a bit and I finally feel comfortable living with him. Just in time to be too late. He's dying of cancer and has had two strokes in the past month.
So, I'm thinking, here I go again. I'm his caregiver and soon to probably be alone.
Doubt that I'll have time to find anyone else and take another ten years to get used to being around them.
My inability to bond is weird too.

I used to spend a lot of time in large shopping malls, just sat drinking coffee and watching the world go by. I think it was because there was enough to look at that it distracted me, but I didn't have to be engaged with it. I had a lot of crap on my mind at the time and it provided some relief.

New Threads

Top Bottom