• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It was going so well, until I had to be honest

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I find it very hard being hospitable, but am giving it ago and yes was my first, in a while, at attempting that.

We have a new couple who have moved into our congregation ie Jehovah''s Witnesses and so, I took courage and invited them for a meal. Once I know what I am cooking, that is OK, but I do hate being centre of attention and hate people in my home and it is not just a case of welcoming them and then, nothing, one has to keep it going all evening.

Anyway, it got around to them discussing aspergers and the brother said that he worked with an aspie once and found his traits most interesting and then, mentioned a sister in our congregation, who's son is an aspie too and noticed that when the aspie spoke to him and listened, it was as though no one else was there and my husband nodded his head furiously and pointed to me. I admitted that my poor husband has to almost yell at me, to get my attention. Then the brother said: so you really don't get jokes, do you? I said that most times I do get stuck on whether the person is serious or not and most jokes have me lost and he said that I will find him difficult because he sometimes can't help it.

Then, it happened. I said that I am not actually officially diagnosed and first my husband said: you really ought to keep quiet, for people will not take you serious. He confuses me anyway with one minute seeming to be there for me and next, the opposite. Anyway, indeed, as soon as I gave this revelation, suddenly it was: oh I get that, or: aren't we all a bit crazy?

As it happens, his wife has traits too and I said was it possible and she said she had wondered. She finds it hard to have eye contact and has often been called out, for how she looks at people. In fact, we both agreed that we are awfully similar in our ways.

I just found it interesting how it all turned out, because I said that I am not officially diagnosed and actually, think it is a bit rude of people. No one would accuse someone of not being depressed etc.

I must try harder to keep things to myself.

I find it very hard being hospitable, but am giving it ago and yes was my first, in a while, at attempting that.

We have a new couple who have moved into our congregation ie Jehovah''s Witnesses and so, I took courage and invited them for a meal. Once I know what I am cooking, that is OK, but I do hate being centre of attention and hate people in my home and it is not just a case of welcoming them and then, nothing, one has to keep it going all evening.

Anyway, it got around to them discussing aspergers and the brother said that he worked with an aspie once and found his traits most interesting and then, mentioned a sister in our congregation, who's son is an aspie too and noticed that when the aspie spoke to him and listened, it was as though no one else was there and my husband nodded his head furiously and pointed to me. I admitted that my poor husband has to almost yell at me, to get my attention. Then the brother said: so you really don't get jokes, do you? I said that most times I do get stuck on whether the person is serious or not and most jokes have me lost and he said that I will find him difficult because he sometimes can't help it.

Then, it happened. I said that I am not actually officially diagnosed and first my husband said: you really ought to keep quiet, for people will not take you serious. He confuses me anyway with one minute seeming to be there for me and next, the opposite. Anyway, indeed, as soon as I gave this revelation, suddenly it was: oh I get that, or: aren't we all a bit crazy?

As it happens, his wife has traits too and I said was it possible and she said she had wondered. She finds it hard to have eye contact and has often been called out, for how she looks at people. In fact, we both agreed that we are awfully similar in our ways.

I just found it interesting how it all turned out, because I said that I am not officially diagnosed and actually, think it is a bit rude of people. No one would accuse someone of not being depressed etc.

I must try harder to keep things to myself.
My husband seemed to be supporting me, until our friend came over, I had her do the test after my results showed aspie. She acted like I was nuts and he said, "well yea anyone can click any answer on that." I felt so attacked. I was so upset and confused I had a melt down the second my friend left. After that I went question by question and had my husband go over all of my answers with me. He realized wow, it's just a personality thing. I think everyone thinks rainman. Like you couldn't possibly talk and be married with autism. He agrees with every answer for me and boom., the results showed aspie again. He apologized but I do think he would belittle it again in the right audience. They have no idea how we feel.

My husband seemed to be supporting me, until our friend came over, I had her do the test after my results showed aspie. She acted like I was nuts and he said, "well yea anyone can click any answer on that." I felt so attacked. I was so upset and confused I had a melt down the second my friend left. After that I went question by question and had my husband go over all of my answers with me. He realized wow, it's just a personality thing. I think everyone thinks rainman. Like you couldn't possibly talk and be married with autism. He agrees with every answer for me and boom., the results showed aspie again. He apologized but I do think he would belittle it again in the right audience. They have no idea how we feel.

"Most people" just do not or will not understand. I do not tell anyone who does not need to know.

New Threads

Top Bottom