• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Issues with other sites and controversial/unpopular opinions

I have been kicked off several forums rather abruptly. One was my fault, I was having medication issues and was posting some really bizarre, offensive stuff. The rest have been survivalist forums, all of which are now defunct. It seems that survivalism attracts some really mentally wacko people, and if they sense that someone is "weak" they attack that person. They tend to believe in "survival of the fittest" and that it's not their problem is somebody doesn't measure up, just throw that person to the wolves and move on. A lot of them are ex-military, mainly Vietnam and Iraq/Afghanistan, and they envision a future America that is a shattered land with various militias battling for control, sort of like Afghanistan after the Soviets left. In that future, the "weak" drag down their fellow survivalists and are abandoned/shot. As you can see, an aspie to them is a potential threat to the "platoon".

I'm currently "warned" on gamefaqs.com cos I did a topic this morning about the late Carol "Grotbags" Lee, who died yesterday aged 74, all I did was put on the post that if people wanted further info, get off their butt and use Google, and I got modded, lost 10 Karma and got "warned" for 48 hours.

I wouldn't mind but if I had posted a link from Facebook, some Clown would've marked my post for "advertising" purely because I dared to post a link, damned either way![/QUOTE
People are so ridiculous sometimes.

I have found the same thing in many sites. But I am not exactly the type who backs down easily shall we say :D For the most part they ended up making fools of themselves. Always despised the idiotic political correctness that has gripped the West. You can say speak the truth without the slightest hostility or malevolence and it can be twisted to attack you personally... Always hated herd behaviour too. When it is malicious it is the thing I most despise about human nature I think. When not malicious it is annoying.

As for veganism, I don't believe we are morally justified to engage in factory farming because it is the cycle of life. By the same argument all sorts of abuse should be seen as acceptable because they are natural to humans and animals in general. If it is animal products through hunting, they are not nearly as bad as factory farming but still unnecessary violence (and could never be sustainable if everyone did it). Generally, veganism spares 100-200 animals a year of torment and death. The choice is simple, give up pleasure/convenience or make your life more pleasurable/convenient at the cost of paying for the torture and death of hundreds of sentient beings per year. Ultimately this is between one and one's conscience but I will not keep quiet about it.

I found I just quit on a site as soon as I find the drama even borderline unbearable. There's this one place I used to enjoy, but then I found out that members would often buy fur products indiscriminately. I posted about my choice to support synthetic fur, not real fur, and the members got defensive, saying that it was ok to buy real ones because some animals enjoy being defurred too, etc. I mean, what? I disagree.

When I pointed out that it would be illogical to assume that all sellers would tell the truth when asked and that there was no way to confirm the practices of the sources of such products were, well, let's just say it was an unpopular opinion. It's not as if they need these things to live either. They don't live in the cold, cold north...it's just for a hobby.

So anyway, classic HFA me. I wasn't kicked out or anything but I chose to let my account become inactive.

i was confused as i looked up info on diagnosis in Australia and the WP.site came up and the two Australian members werent insulting or be insulted !
WP was perfectly fine in comparison to the other sites I described. The majority of the issues I ran into were on mental health and social anxiety sites.
I don't have as big of an issue with WP, it was more that it just wasn't the right place for me.

I'm currently "warned" on gamefaqs.com cos I did a topic this morning about the late Carol "Grotbags" Lee, who died yesterday aged 74, all I did was put on the post that if people wanted further info, get off their butt and use Google, and I got modded, lost 10 Karma and got "warned" for 48 hours.

I wouldn't mind but if I had posted a link from Facebook, some Clown would've marked my post for "advertising" purely because I dared to post a link, damned either way!
That seems like a rather extreme reaction for a moderator to have to simply telling people to "get off their butt," it's not like you made a malicious personal attack or anything.
I have been on the receiving end of that as well for making comments that I didn't think were necessarily malicious but moderators interpreted as otherwise, or members "reported" my posts because there was simply a difference of opinion.
I am also not good at being sarcastic and often my sarcastic or joking comments are interpreted as being malevolent.

As for veganism, I don't believe we are morally justified to engage in factory farming because it is the cycle of life. By the same argument all sorts of abuse should be seen as acceptable because they are natural to humans and animals in general. If it is animal products through hunting, they are not nearly as bad as factory farming but still unnecessary violence (and could never be sustainable if everyone did it). Generally, veganism spares 100-200 animals a year of torment and death. The choice is simple, give up pleasure/convenience or make your life more pleasurable/convenient at the cost of paying for the torture and death of hundreds of sentient beings per year. Ultimately this is between one and one's conscience but I will not keep quiet about it.
While that is a valid argument I still do not think it is justifiable to shame people for their choice of diet. There are plenty of lifestyles I don't agree with but I don't go around saying "You're a terrible person because you do X instead of Y."

WP was perfectly fine in comparison to the other sites I described. The majority of the issues I ran into were on mental health and social anxiety sites.
I don't have as big of an issue with WP, it was more that it just wasn't the right place for me.
i meant for me, id read other WP posts that werent as nice
i WOULDNT become a member probably get my member torn off

Yeah, the posts on WP could get quite nasty at times, a lot of aggressive and opinionated individuals.
Mental health forums are much worse though.

There are a lot of people out there with the mentality of "If you're not with us, you're against us." They are on every side of every argument and they always suck.

there is the ranting room on this site
So this is sort of a rant, I suppose. I was unsure of where to put this so I am just going to leave it here.

Before I found this site, I was a member on a few other forums (I will not discuss WP here as I don't think it is my place to do so)- mainly social anxiety forums and another MH site that is now defunct.
I was only on said forums for a very short time as I was ripped apart by the members and I am finding more and more how different they were to Aspies Central.

One forum had a largely female population and the majority of the more well-liked members ganged up on me because I am male. I posted something about how men get sexually assaulted too (my dad was still alive at the time and I was referring to my dad being sexually abused by his mum). I was called a "sexist MRA piece of sh*t" and told to "kill myself." The moderators did nothing about this. One moderator even "liked" the post!
I never once expressed a distaste for feminism or for women in general, yet I was constantly accused of being a misogynist and the "MRA" label kept coming up.
The members kept accusing me of being sexist and prejudiced against my dad's mum and therefore refused to believe that she was an abuser because apparently women can not be abusers because only men are evil abusers...?? I see no logic in that argument.

On another site, I was ripped apart for discussing my special interest in dogs/dog shows. A moderator went on the offensive about dog shows being abuse and therefore my mum's business should be shut down and all her dogs confiscated.
I ran into the same issue on Instagram and Tumblr, as I have mentioned in another thread recently. Everyone was screaming "abuse" about my mum's dogs. For the record... my mum is licensed, a Breeder of Merit and not some f****** puppy mill! Excuse my French, this has got me mad! My family is also fully supportive of rescue and several of our dogs and cats were rescues as well. In fact my mum's lifelong dream has been to run a sanctuary for rescue dogs.

On yet another site, there was a thread about posting picture of your food, and I posted a picture of a hamburger and was called out for not being a vegan and told that I "couldn't possibly really care about animals" if I was eating a hamburger... My defensive argument was that it is the circle of life, would you tell a wolf to stop eating elk?
*Sigh*
On same site, I was called a "SJW" or social justice warrior multiple times just for being gay and pro-gay-rights and because I once told someone off for being racist. Of course there were also people who used the MRA label on me on this site as well.
My response was "So which is it then? Am I an SJW or an MRA? Can't be both..." and the moderators did not like that at all and saw it as an attack. :/
Also, apparently NTs take offense to being called "neurotypicals...?" On that site I made a post about my struggles with having Asperger's and I used the phrase "neurotypical" and I may as well have dropped a nuke.

I will get off my soapbox now... I was just curious as to whether other Aspies have experienced this sort of thing on other sites? I was terrified to join another forum because of this.

Yeah, the posts on WP could get quite nasty at times, a lot of aggressive and opinionated individuals.

It has a good adult discussion section though for sexual questions. But it's hard to quote other people, there's no karma points or any way to like other peoples posts, you just feel like by design it makes you a bit disconnected. However it does have a huge user base and has been running longer than this place.

Those social anxiety forums sound like they'd give me more anxiety. It's an insult to call someone a men's rights activist... While some can be a women's rights activist? So bizarre. I don't even know what to say about what they've said. The moment I get a hypersensitive-ly SJW vibe from a site I leave. I stuck around one for too long, not nearly as bad, caused more anxiety and felt like I was walking on eggshells the whole time.

Those social anxiety forums sound like they'd give me more anxiety.
They did give me more anxiety.
It also didn't help that anytime a moderator on one of those sites disagreed with my opinion she accused me of being not-a-real-person or being her "abuser" in disguise.
This particular moderator, as I was told by another member, also had several sock puppet accounts herself that she used to pick fights and instigate members with!
She also admitted to having been dishonest regarding a PTSD diagnosis, which really bothers me, because my mum actually suffers from PTSD and it's not something to lie about like that!

Wow that site sounds corrupt going as deep as the mods. And I thought I had it bad at the previous site I was on.. Good thing it was shut down so it wouldn't continue to make things worse for people. On the site I was on there was many negativity breeding grounds, and most people called themselves trash, and the same people posted multiple times a day on the 'annoyance' thread. I got into it unfortunately and was finding things to complain about all day, yikes. Probably not always great to hang around people with the same problems sometimes, especially if they complain all the time without trying to find solution.

Would you feel the same way if someone ate humans and treated them the same way we treat our animals? While I am a speciesist, and value humans more than animals, except animals close to me, I still value animals I do not know a great deal. The suffering is very similar to ours, and they there are billions of them going through this. We feel revulsion at how humans treated one another in WWII, and yet when even worse is done to animals (1000 greater in number) we consider it a personal choice. People are free to lead their lives any way the wish as long as it does not negatively impact someone else. And if it does impact someone negatively you can expect vegans to nag at you :)

I feel the same revulsion at animal suffering as I do for human suffering, only I might multiply the crime by a factor of 5 or something when it is done to a human. 20% of torture and murder is still pretty serious. It does puzzle me though that people are ready to hang a human for torturing an animal and yet when this is done to billions of animals and someone protests they are ready to stone the protestor.

I have not said any of this to upset you. That is not my intention, it is only to say things as they really are. I don't care much to twist the truth in order to avoid upsetting people except for extreme situations.

While that is a valid argument I still do not think it is justifiable to shame people for their choice of diet. There are plenty of lifestyles I don't agree with but I don't go around saying "You're a terrible person because you do X instead of Y."

Calibar, I agree that "factory farming" is really disgusting. Personally, I am making plans to be a self-sufficient hermit who will own chickens and ducks for meat and eggs and treat them well, and kill them as humanely as possible. My grandfather (long dead by now) told me all about how awful factory farming is, and showed me how to raise and kill a chicken humanely. Even though he hated Jews, he said that the kosher way to kill an animal is probably the most humane method devised by man. The problem is, even the kosher meat industry has become "industrialized" and Jews can no longer be certain that kosher meat is truly kosher. The only real way to ensure the humaneness of meat is to raise it yourself or buy from local small scale ranchers who treat and kill their animals as humanely as possible. Humans have been eating meat for at least 300,000 years, before Homo Sapiens Sapiens even arrived on the planet in its present form. I have read about evidence of cooking animals being found in a cave in what is now Israel, the hearth was at least 300k years old. Our tooth structure is meant to eat cooked meat according to paleoarcheologists. The herbivorous theory of man simply doesn't hold up. People who have tried strictly herbivorous diets tend to wind up sickly and emaciated.

Would you feel the same way if someone ate humans and treated them the same way we treat our animals? While I am a speciesist, and value humans more than animals, except animals close to me, I still value animals I do not know a great deal. The suffering is very similar to ours, and they there are billions of them going through this. We feel revulsion at how humans treated one another in WWII, and yet when even worse is done to animals (1000 greater in number) we consider it a personal choice. People are free to lead their lives any way the wish as long as it does not negatively impact someone else. And if it does impact someone negatively you can expect vegans to nag at you :)

I feel the same revulsion at animal suffering as I do for human suffering, only I might multiply the crime by a factor of 5 or something when it is done to a human. 20% of torture and murder is still pretty serious. It does puzzle me though that people are ready to hang a human for torturing an animal and yet when this is done to billions of animals and someone protests they are ready to stone the protestor.

I have not said any of this to upset you. That is not my intention, it is only to say things as they really are. I don't care much to twist the truth in order to avoid upsetting people except for extreme situations.
I hear what you're saying.
If it's any condolence to you, I wouldn't eat a dog or a cat.
I do think the way animals are treated is wrong, and tbh if I think about what I'm eating and how it got there, I don't really feel like eating it anymore. I have to not think about it.
I will not be stoning any protestors. People can do what they wish. I don't hate vegans or hold anything against them. For example, I hate Trump, but I don't say to people "I hate you because you voted for Trump." They are entitled to their own values and opinions.

Calibar, I agree that "factory farming" is really disgusting. Personally, I am making plans to be a self-sufficient hermit who will own chickens and ducks for meat and eggs and treat them well, and kill them as humanely as possible. My grandfather (long dead by now) told me all about how awful factory farming is, and showed me how to raise and kill a chicken humanely. Even though he hated Jews, he said that the kosher way to kill an animal is probably the most humane method devised by man. The problem is, even the kosher meat industry has become "industrialized" and Jews can no longer be certain that kosher meat is truly kosher. The only real way to ensure the humaneness of meat is to raise it yourself or buy from local small scale ranchers who treat and kill their animals as humanely as possible. Humans have been eating meat for at least 300,000 years, before Homo Sapiens Sapiens even arrived on the planet in its present form. I have read about evidence of cooking animals being found in a cave in what is now Israel, the hearth was at least 300k years old. Our tooth structure is meant to eat cooked meat according to paleoarcheologists. The herbivorous theory of man simply doesn't hold up. People who have tried strictly herbivorous diets tend to wind up sickly and emaciated.
That does sound like a better alternative to factory farming.

New Threads

Top Bottom