• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Issue with cats

On a more realistic note I would look at it as which is the greater sacrifice. You getting rid of loved pets or him getting used to cats (or finding his own place). Also, your cats if allowed are life long companions. Perhaps that isn't as certain with your guy. It would really stink if you did get rid of the cats and then he leaves next month. If he cares and has half a brain he would realize he should take on the chore of adjusting rather then expect you to go thru abandoning your small family members.

Were it me, and someone I was with was trying to get me to get rid of my dog or something? No matter what that person meant to me, said person would be out on their butt in the street within a few seconds of trying that, and they'd probably be walking funny for quite awhile due to how hard I'd have kicked them.
Same with me for my cat. Anyone who isn't willing to adapt to live with my cat isn't worth my time, it's a matter of compatibility. Also I consider taking on a pet to be a serious commitment, when I adopted my cat it was with the full knowledge that I was taking on the responsibility of her wellbeing for the rest of her life, and I am not going to abandon that responsibility for another person who is perfectly capable of taking care of themselves somewhere else.
(Sorry OP for the sidetrack)

Sounds like you need to play with your male cat more to tire him out. Take a look at Jackson Galaxy/My Cat From Hell. Many behavioral problems in cats can be remedied by just playing with your cat more. Good luck!

I get along with my wife's cat perfectly. It's a bit temperamental, but if you stroke it just right--between the ears--it'll relax, letting out a loud purr; then maybe it'll get up, yawn, and stretch itself. I love the way it hops up into the windowsill when the sun is shining just the right way, licking its lips. It is poised and playful as it watches flies and grasshoppers outside soar like little tie fighters and x-wings going to friendly battle. It'll sometimes bat a paw up at the window if one gets too close.

I think if you are both in the household then your partners needs are equally as important as everyone's including the cats. Compromise on all sides, a bit of time for adjustment. Everyone will settle down after a while, in my experience.

I think if you are both in the household then your partners needs are equally as important as everyone's including the cats. Compromise on all sides, a bit of time for adjustment. Everyone will settle down after a while, in my experience.
Blessed are the peacemakers.

I don't want to sound harsh, I was raised on a ranch in the country, so here's my take:

They're animals, your boyfriend isn't.

The only reason they "saved your life" is because of your perception of them, not because of any actual heroics on their parts.

Priorities.

Yes they are only animals and Yes you shouldent mix in human emotions in animals

BUT getting rid of youre pets for a guy or girl is NOT a wice idea period

if you want logic i give you logic

Say she does and the guy sudenly just leaves or things breaks upp . Then she is standing there ALL alone

Also for many (me included ) pets are like our family members. when i still had them i would without a shadow of a dought walked in a burning bulding to try to save them ALL of them either we all make it or we all leave together (and that goes for ANY animal (incl if i was a farmer and my livestock or horses or any farm animal was caught in a burning building or otherwise life threating situation )

And last for many with diagnosis and those also INTRESTED & ABLE to take care of pets its a well known fact to be a good help (sort of our medicine) same in my case first with my own pets when i was still able too & now with my tripps to the zoos etc... I know they are for me they are my reason for still breathing.

Last edited:
I don't want to sound harsh, I was raised on a ranch in the country, so here's my take:

They're animals, your boyfriend isn't.

The only reason they "saved your life" is because of your perception of them, not because of any actual heroics on their parts.

Priorities.
One priority is she is legally responsible for them she’s not legally responsible for him,Obviously you have one definition of animals and she has another ,her definition is probably exactly the same as mine

I'd trade pets for marriage any day. Isn't that the purpose of dating?

Maybe as husband and wife, they can combine incomes and get a house or trailer, with a yard or property, and any future cats can live outdoors and she can enjoy evenings watching the sunset on the porch as one of her cats leaps up on her lap and she softly pets it.

Don't prioritize animals over human beings. A pet is a possession, a human life, sacred.

Maybe as husband and wife, they can combine incomes and get a house or trailer, with a yard or property, and any future cats can live outdoors and she can enjoy evenings watching the sunset on the porch as one of her cats leaps up on her lap and she softly pets it.

Don't prioritize animals over human beings. A pet is a possession, a human life, sacred.

Noone is judging you and you have every right to belive this

But what if she dont want this ? or even he ?

Thats were youre wrong i know us humans belive we are above all other living creatures on earth but thats NOT has NOT EVER been the case nor the perpouse for us being created by who ever we belive.

Like it or not we actually decend from the animal kingdom our selves and we have VERY close DNA to the primates (i Ie Gorilla (if i remember right its only a few more chromocenes and they would be humans) and orangutang and some less but still close Chimpancess ) and were shore NOT above or more worth then any of ALL the animals on this earth. Nor do we have ANY right to posess ANY animal just because were humans.

Last edited:

Humans are animals too. To many people their pets are family, and to be honest seeing a sentient creature, especially one who shares your life and forms bonds of affection with you, as a mere possession turns my stomach. And marriage isn't the purpose of dating for many people.

You can have whatever priorities you want (so long as those priorities don't result in animal cruelty) but you don't have the right to tell anyone else what they should value most or hold sacred any more than we have the right to tell you.

Last edited:
I also like to play frog croaking sleep sounds on YouTube for them while they’re napping.

Ah, but it goes a bit further than that, even without considering the pet aspect.

Here's the thing: Would you really want to be with someone that forces you to give up something precious to you in order to be with them, simply because they couldnt be bothered to learn to deal with said precious thing?

I mean, if someone did that to me, like "Hey, if you want me, you MUST get rid of this thing you love so much just because I cant be bothered", well.... what a shame... Again, they'd be out the door on their butt in moments. I would never do something so awful to anyone, and sure wouldn't want someone doing it to me.

And I don't mean just pets. Say that the thing that is so precious is like, a hobby, that the person is super passionate about. The sort of hobby that means the world to them. And the other person wants them to give it up simply because they dont LIKE it? What? That's not how a good relationship works in the first place. That's how a REALLY BAD one works.

As for the posession/life thing with pets, ehhh....

I'll put it this way: Pet owners generally don't see it that way. In my case, that dog of mine is family. The rest of the family sees him that way too. The fact that they don't have a super high intelligence doesn't change them into some lesser blob, some toy to be picked up and disposed of (anyone who does see it that way, shouldn't have pets, period). My dog may be a dog, but he's still my greatest friend, and still has his own totally unique personality and quirks. I'd jump in front of a bus if it was required, for him. Fortunately he's smart enough not to be in front of a bus in the first place. Also fortunately, there are not many buses around here! I hate those things. Well, there's still school buses. Stupid giant Twinkies full of rodents is what those are... *grumbling*

Try locking your husband and your dog in the trunk of a car for 2 hours and see who is happy to see you when you open it back up.

If someone has a problem with your pets then they can get off their butt and work and pay for an apartment, something a pet cannot do. Time can be spent over there so they can deal with you without dealing with your pets. Although I will say... cats in bed and stuff... not a fan of kitty litter in bed. But I'm too much of a germophobe for pets in general.

Humans come and go depending on their whims, but your pet will stay with you until death do you part.

So, my beloved has issues with my cats. They are fighting a lot, running around the house, and they're very distracting for him, and he often feels overwhelmed by them. Thing is, I have a very small house - only two rooms, one long corridor, and they're banned from one of those rooms. My cats are very important to me, I see them as "my children", I'm very attached to them emotionally, they saved my life at some point with their presence. Which is why I can't even imagine banning them from the room. But at the same time my guy gets very jittery with them around.

Any ideas how to get out of this mess?

Simple solution. Choose between your cats and your guy.

(I said it was simple, not easy or popular.)

Think a couple of cat trees or climbing things to keep them occupied. And a closed door if he needs down time.

One reason I've seen for my cats to get cranky with each other
is hunger. If breakfast isn't forthcoming, they slap each other,
stiff arm with the front legs, straight from the shoulder.

The other reason they will argue is over who gets the best spot
in the window.

If breakfast isn't forthcoming, they slap each other,
stiff arm with the front legs, straight from the shoulder.

I love this sort of logic.

Like, if I'm sitting on my computer here, and then Windows crashes, so my response is to go into the other room and throw a clock at my brother or something.

New Threads

Top Bottom