• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is there enough awareness of Aspergers/Autism?

Re: Is there enough awareness of AS/Autism?

Well, I think people are aware of autism, but mostly the negative concepts of it. We need to show some more positive images, like not always showing kids having meltdowns, because that's not always true.

Well, I think people are aware of autism, but mostly the negative concepts of it. We need to show some more positive images, like not always showing kids having meltdowns, because that's not always true.

I totally agree with you on that one actually, I've found a bunch of videos of autism speaks and I must say, they seem to be showing the negative concept of it, which also included screaming non verbal kids.

But then again, I think autism speaks seems to be aiming more of the low functioning autism to come think of it, they seem to be showing kids with LFA.

Yes, it seems like Aspergers and Autism is like the flavor of the month but on the other hand, I think there is still quite a lot of ignorance out there. My pet peeve is that everything seems to be slanted towards children . . . as if it all goes away once you hit the magical age of 18 or 21 (my family and doctors certainly seemed to think so!). There is not enough awareness about ADULT Aspies, and especially Aspies that are in the workplace.

I think there needs to be more awareness of what adults on the autistic spectrum are like. Society tends to believe the images shown of autistic children who can't speak and can't look after themselves. In reality, they are the minority. There are plenty of people who had delays in speech as a child and developmental problems who have turned into functioning adults. I actually don't think there is much a difference between Autism and Aspergers. To qualify for an autism diagnosis, the only difference is having a speech delay as a child. When you're an adult, you've often learned enough coping mechanisms that the developmental delays as a child don't make much of a difference anymore.

LogicandJeans,

According to what I've read/heard, when the DSM-V comes out (sometime next year), designations like "Asperger's" and "PDD-NOS" will be going away, and all ASD's will be grouped under the generic heading "autistic spectrum disorders." Now, whether this will make it easier or harder for people to obtain disability (something I'm concerned about, as my parents have told me they're going to apply for SSDI for me sometime next year) remains to be seen.

Yes, it seems like Aspergers and Autism is like the flavor of the month but on the other hand, I think there is still quite a lot of ignorance out there. My pet peeve is that everything seems to be slanted towards children . . . as if it all goes away once you hit the magical age of 18 or 21 (my family and doctors certainly seemed to think so!). There is not enough awareness about ADULT Aspies, and especially Aspies that are in the workplace.

Very well-written (and true) post!! I'll be honest -- I've been fired from every job I've ever had (which also explains why I've been unemployed the past five years), and I think my PDD-NOS had a lot to do with each termination. In fact, I remember talking about my disorder (I thought it was Asperger's at the time) with a manager I had, and later that day, he asked me, "Were you hydrocephalic as a baby??" I was like....okay.....that was a throw out of left field I wasn't expecting!! But I told him that yes, I was, although mine was the birth injury as opposed to the birth defect -- he proceeded to tell me about his son, who is also autistic, and had been hydrocephalic (birth injury.....so I can imagine what difficulties lie ahead for that young person (both in school and in the working world.)

OK, maybe I'm going to be a little emotional here but it's fine, right? :) it's seems that Autism awareness has exploded, it's everywhere, a lot of people seem to know a lot about it, does it help? is there more understanding? and the most important thing - do most of people with Autism really benefit from it as much as they could have? hell no. it looks like a huge, romanticized blown out of proportions commercial poster... because drama is more exciting and doesn't require any involvement, and by involvement I mean, not only actual physical involvement but also mental one.

You have child with Autism, go and hire 3000 professionals. Don't have money...ups sorry... match some shapes then or something... you're an Adult with Autism...here - read a book. "Yeah, but book doesn't really say anything but "Autism is blah blah" "I have Autism wah, wah" " ... "OK then read 3000 more"...

I wouldn't say it's sad I would say, it is a natural way of modern society to deal with issues. A few will work hard a go above and beyond to help, some with blow things out of proportions and make tons of money on it and the rest are going to enjoy a swim in the ocean of drama.

But who am I to judge? So I should not present it as judgement but as a humble opinion of a human being who's still trying to figure out whose side she's on.

It seems like everyones being diagnosed as Autistic. It's the new bi-polar of the psychiatric world. I've been in it for nearly 10 years and every year and a half to 2 years it seems like there is a new popular issue to be diagnosed with. It was depression, then bi-polar, generalized anxiety disorder, and now Autism has made its way to the top of the charts.

Im new here. My identical twin brother is very high functioning autistic. I am on here b/c I think I'm aspergers, although I'm waiting on tests. I do not think there is enough awareness, but it is improving. I do think they should be separated. He would have had aspergers and resembles a lot more of aspergers but is classified as autistic. Back to topic I think they should be separated b/c they are very different in (I have the need to have friends and interaction, my brother does not have this to the extent of a nt or an aspie usually does, although he does have some need and wanting. Among teenagers, if the person knows they are spectrum, then they can tell their friends and how they work and etc. but for the undiagnosed it has little awareness and often get made fun of.

Within the judicial system there isn't nearly enough awareness of ASD/AS and Autism. People with ASD in prisons and secure mental health units are often misunderstood and mistreated as their particular needs and difficulties are poorly understood and overlooked. I even see that some of the psychologists and psychiatrists who diagnose and assess people with ASD don't really have a good understanding of what they are looking for and why or how to work with someone with ASD so that they have an equal chance of moving through the system as someone without ASD. Even in mental health services staff have a very 'stereotypical' view of what ASD is and is not. I think there is much more to be revealed about the experience of ASD at the higher functioning end of the autistic spectrum as more people are diagnosed and willing to speak out on behalf of themselves and others.

There's enough misunderstanding, the public could use more education indeed. I've watch god knows how many videos on autism, and TBH I can't tell if these individuals are really autistic to begin with, or something else altogether. I mean, it's like what happened with ADD/ADHD back in the 90s - you give a vague list of traits and symptoms and all of a sudden everyone and their mother has it. In either case, modern media is doing a piss poor job and I don't know if I should be offended or just laugh.

There doesn't seem to be a large amount of awareness to what Aspergers actually is; however, there do seem to be quite a bit of people who are genuinely interested in learning more about what it is. So I think things could get much better in the future.

There doesn't seem to be a large amount of awareness to what Aspergers actually is; however, there do seem to be quite a bit of people who are genuinely interested in learning more about what it is. So I think things could get much better in the future.

You know I completely and totally agree with you buckyboy14. There seems to be quite a bit of awareness of Autism. Just Autism but not really any of the other spectrum disorders like Asperger's or PDD-NOS or any of those. I think or at least in my own experiences its like you say I have Aspergers and they say huh?You then reply that Asperger's is a name of a form of High functioning autism. Then you get the ohhh its an autism thing...then its like they think of the people who are lower functioning because all they then heard was Autsim and nothing else.

I think, at least, in the place where I live now, there could be too much awareness combined with fear, it's no good for us.

If we have 'Asperger's Syndrome', people will ask, 'are you a loner...', 'do you have special talents'? It does make us feel more embarassed than proud to be an Aspie, at least, in where I live.

I'd actually prefer it if, in silence, I know I have Asperger's, but I do get support and help by fellow friends, regardless of my conditions.

You know I completely and totally agree with you buckyboy14. There seems to be quite a bit of awareness of Autism. Just Autism but not really any of the other spectrum disorders like Asperger's or PDD-NOS or any of those. I think or at least in my own experiences its like you say I have Aspergers and they say huh?You then reply that Asperger's is a name of a form of High functioning autism. Then you get the ohhh its an autism thing...then its like they think of the people who are lower functioning because all they then heard was Autsim and nothing else.

That reminds me of when the counselor at Link Associates (a local, in Iowa, agency that helps disabled people, especially those with mental disabilities, adapt--she asked if I'd ever been tested for autism, and I immediately thought of Dustin Hoffman's character in Rain Man--although I do have some of his characteristics, mainly the memory...I can't do Who's on First from memory, like Raymond could, but there are movies that I can quote verbatim.

But the counselor then described Asperger's Syndrome, and the more I read, the more I became convinced, "Hey...that's me!" Until a psychiatrist said I didn't "fit the profile" of an Aspie...but...isn't profiling WRONG?? :)

But, I've now had two separate counselors (one had to leave the clinic where I was seeing him--he went into private practice--and referred me to a new therapist) agree that I'm PDD-NOS. :)

I get that too. At least where I live, a lot of people have never heard of Asperger's but have heard of autism. 9 times out of 10 if I tell someone I have Asperger's Syndrome I then have to explain what it is. And those who have heard of it have misconceptions about it and don't believe I have it. Recently there have been some new TV shows, such as Parenthood, that feature it, but now with the shooting in Connecticut people are being given to believe that the shooter was the way he was because of Asperger's. Let's hope people don't get too much of a negative image of us.

My friend in Mexico didn't even know what autism is and when he found out about Asperger's he was all like "Ass burgers?" We must spread more awareness in Mexico!! :lol2:

My wife and a lot of my friends are Mexican, and it seems to me that Mexico really lags behind in awareness of AS and other disorders. I recently identified a teenage boy in my congregation that I've known for several years as an aspie and gave his parents some information on it. His traits are pretty obvious to someone with knowledge of AS, but it doesn't seem to be common knowledge in the community. Even dyslexia, which is well-known in the U.S., seems to be practically unheard of in Mexico. It didn't take long after marrying my wife for me to realize that she and her twin sister both have severe dyslexia, but they'd never heard of it before then and had no idea why school had been such a struggle. In fact, when my wife started talking to family and friends back home about it, none of them had heard of dyslexia. So in comparison you can imagine how little autism/Asperger awareness there is there.

I agree on this. They say that we do not have people like Einsteins, Temple Grandins, Bill Gates today is becos now Autism/Aspergers has become a distraction for people with the problem and thus focus less on their life's destiny. It cuts their potential in half.

That may be true for Einstein and Gates, but remember that Temple Grandin did know she was autistic growing up, and doctors didn't think she had any potential at all. But knowing about the disorder didn't stop her from accomplishing what she did nor her mother from encouraging her to reach her full potential. It's true that some auties and aspies use the condition as an excuse to be unproductive, but people use a lot of other situations as excuses too, for example poverty. I think it depends more on the will of the individual than it does on awareness of a diagnosis. A person who is determined to rise above a situation in which the cards are stacked against him/her will do so, but someone who wants an excuse to be a bum will inevitably find one.

New Threads

Top Bottom