• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is there enough awareness of Aspergers/Autism?

Droopy

Founder & Former Admin
V.I.P Member
Do you think that there is enough public awareness of Autism and Asperger Syndrome?

I had never heard of either before I became diagnosed a few years back.

Should the public be better educated on it?

Re: Is there enough awareness of AS/Autism?

:no: I don't think so...and what is out there seems to confuse most people. I have met several people who say they know what it is, yet will have conversations with me that clearly seem at odds with that. I think people are more aware of "meltdowns" and NOT the actual condition. Over the years I've managed to really get some control over the external aspects of my meltdowns (really seemed to scare people, being so rare, random, and explosive). I still have issues, and they are much worse now because no one believes me. Since I can act like I'm fine (but really tensed up, and focusing on staying calm) no one really makes any adjustments for me. Also, people get angry with me when I truly get confused and I try to explain that I just can't figure something out and still make fun of me for saying something too directly or at the wrong time...because again with age there are fewer times that these things occur (or at least that I let on to others).

That makes it complicated. People seem to be more familiar with AS/ASD due to news specials and movie/tv characters, but I'm not sure accurate information is getting to the masses. It seems to be at both ends, either they see it as a condition that people recover from or they treat you like you have a terminal illness.

I think it actually has too much media coverage, I got really bored of it when it was the flavour of the month on TV. I think most people know what it is now and I don't want it to become a trend, because then people would think we were faking just because it's cool. Wait.. too late it's already happened on the internet anyway.

I think it actually has too much media coverage, I got really bored of it when it was the flavour of the month on TV.

True, there has been a lot of coverage lately about it. Although, I went for about 15 years without ever hearing it mentioned or knowing that it existed.

because then people would think we were faking just because it's cool. Wait.. too late it's already happened on the internet anyway.

People fake having AS or people think we're faking it?

True, there has been a lot of coverage lately about it. Although, I went for about 15 years without ever hearing it mentioned or knowing that it existed.

People fake having AS or people think we're faking it?
Mostly the latter. But also people do actually think they're AS just because they read the wiki article and think that being geeky qualifies them, I see it on WP all the time. It's definitely become "fashionable" believe it or not.

Yes, I agree it is fashionable - that's why I'm here.

I hope you don't judge me too much. For a while I thought maybe AS could explain why I'm so WEIRD! Maybe I could actually identify with a group, especially after the significant disappointment I suffered when I realized even other grad students aren't like me (many like to party, and the vast majority aren't as enthusiastic as I am). But I don't think I have AS. I still wonder what went awry - genes, environment, what? I guess I am just myself, and there is no explanation for who I am.

There is alot of public shows about autism like "Young, Autistic and Stagestruck" that's actually one of the most positive things they mention about autism and turn it into a good thing which I'm pretty surprised they did, like in other documentaries, they mainly focus it on a bad thing like autism is the enemy in the society.

There are alot of awareness, just that it seems not everyone is interested.

I'm also sure there is autism awareness month aswell, so I guess that's already public aswell?

Nobody knows anything about AS here. Some people have heard about autism.

There isn't much awareness of AS/Autism out there. Before I was diagnosed I had not even heard of Autism/AS at all. When, afterwards I began to learn about what AS meant and what it meant for me, I began to notice that there was a lot of misconceptions and generally negative opinions in regards to the ASD.

Over the years since I've learnt more about myself, I have made attempts in controling mannerisms that are more likely to be noticed. Before, I would often receive the typcial negative response and would be viewed that I'm some startlingly dangerous, weird person. There are still some problems with that, among other problems that I have (as of yet) not been able to control but it has always made me feel that hurt and confused that people can not just accept that things might be a little more harder for someone else. I often get told off when I mention that I don't understand...I get called stupid for not understanding something that is generally obvious. Even the anxiety problems that I have, I'm told to ''just get over them'' and/or I am just being silly. These make other people get irritated, angry etc...to the extent that they begin to make fun of me.

Problems also seem to surface with the common misconception beliefs that all people who have ASD should be idiots who can neither type well etc...and that is the media's fault for portraying sterotypes. However, it also doesn't help that people who lie and claim to have ASD, also use it as an excuse for their bad behaviour or because they view it as fashionable, which definetly does not help those who actually have ASD because then people either have in mind that to have ASD you have to be a sterotype or, that you are yourself faking it to make excuses.

It also doesn't help that the media often has negative articles in regards to ASD...I hope that will change.

We're getting enough of the negative attention, from the media. We need an organization that portrays is, in a positive light.

I don't think there is. I think that most people who have heard of it automatically picture motionless, mute, unresponsive children, when in reality, most people on the spectrum are not that way. When it comes to adults, there's really no awareness at all.

Definitely not enough awareness, at least nowhere that I've been living lately. I had heard of aspergers and autism but knew very little about them until I started researching them (after seeing a "making of" about the movie Adam) when it occured to me that aspergers might explain some of my son's eccentricities.

There is some awareness, but I really think and feel that there needs to be more of the positive awareness.

There is some awareness, but I really think and feel that there needs to be more of the positive awareness.

Yes, I suspect people have some idea of what autism is, but they have very little understanding of why it's like that. What little they know about it is viewed in a negative light, e.g. as inability/difficulty doing this/that/the other thing. As a result, people have little capacity for sympathy for people with ASDs.

Depends on which country you are talking about. Here in Asia, things ain't so good

To be honest, I no longer care about awareness. There's not much benefit to it IMO.

I think most people with Asperger's want to spread awareness because they want to flaunt the fact that they're more intelligent than most people with classic autism, which I think is a feeble reason to spread awareness. I no longer care much about keeping Asperger's separate from any other form of autism - I used to, but not anymore. As an aspie, I feel that it would be useless to let people know that I'm intellectually superior to my classically autistic cousins. How would this benefit me? It would be elitist.

I guess one benefit to spreading awareness would be to allow the government to be able to help people on the spectrum who're in need of services receive them, but that's about it.

Last edited:

To be honest, I no longer care about awareness. There's not much benefit to it IMO.

I think most people with Asperger's want to spread awareness because they want to flaunt the fact that they're more intelligent than most people with classic autism, which I think is a feeble reason to spread awareness. I no longer care much about keeping Asperger's separate from any other form of autism - I used to, but not anymore. As an aspie, I feel that it would be useless to let people know that I'm intellectually superior to my classically autistic cousins. Why should I? It would be elitist.

I guess one benefit to spreading awareness would be to allow the government to be able to help people on the spectrum who're in need of services receive them, but that's about it.

I agree on this. They say that we do not have people like Einsteins, Temple Grandins, Bill Gates today is becos now Autism/Aspergers has become a distraction for people with the problem and thus focus less on their life's destiny. It cuts their potential in half.

I think that spreading awareness might help people realize that they could have it. Before my diagnosis I had never heard of Aspergers or Autism. It could also help with getting support from governments such as finance and benefits. I also read an article a while back that a police force was being trained in how to deal with Autistic people should they encounter one while on duty (ie an Autistic suspect or victim). This is another area in which awareness is helpful.

New Threads

Top Bottom