• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it too late to start my life?

I feel like a creep. I'm 27 and I've been hiding out at home virtually scared of living. I know my neighbors must be wondering what I'm doing.

Wow at 27!!!!!! Try being 45 and just started out in learning to drive!

You are YOUNG and thus, of course it is not too late.

First, start something small and build on it. And when you lose interest in that - start something else :). That's worked for me.

Second - don't give a s**t what your neighbours think.

Actually, neighbours can sometimes surprise you. The old-bloke (much older than me :D) next door knocked at my door last week to see how I was, coz I hadn't appeared outside for a week & I think he was concerned. I was touched & it did help to lift me out of a bit of a 'low'.

I suspect that most (if not all) people with AS have difficulties with self-esteem (probably some NT's too). It's something that I've struggled with and understand it's origin, but will probably never discard it.

I wish you well.

I feel like a creep. I'm 27 and I've been hiding out at home virtually scared of living. I know my neighbors must be wondering what I'm doing.

Though i do not feel like a creep; i definitely feel like a failure, perpetually stumbling my way to old age. I'm turning 25 this year.

must... try... fight... blinding anxieties.

[correction: it's not so much that i feel like a failure, but rather that i am and that i need to fix that part of my life.]

First, start something small and build on it. And when you lose interest in that - start something else :). That's worked for me.

Second - don't give a s**t what your neighbours think.

Actually, neighbours can sometimes surprise you. The old-bloke (much older than me :D) next door knocked at my door last week to see how I was, coz I hadn't appeared outside for a week & I think he was concerned. I was touched & it did help to lift me out of a bit of a 'low'.

I suspect that most (if not all) people with AS have difficulties with self-esteem (probably some NT's too). It's something that I've struggled with and understand it's origin, but will probably never discard it.

I wish you well.
Thanks for the great advice!

Though i do not feel like a creep; i definitely feel like a failure, perpetually stumbling my way to old age. I'm turning 25 this year.

must... try... fight... blinding anxieties.

[correction: it's not so much that i feel like a failure, but rather that i am and that i need to fix that part of my life.]
You must NOT assess yourself in the externally imposed contexts of 'success' & 'failure', because those contexts are imposed on you by society in general & family/friends specifically. They are guaranteed to make you (as an aspie) feel like you have failed.

While we are all powerless to alter those contexts, we can recognise them for what they are - "OTHER PEOPLE's CONTEXTS"

There is nothing to fix! You are already perfect for your intended purpose.

You must NOT assess yourself in the externally imposed contexts of 'success' & 'failure', because those contexts are imposed on you by society in general & family/friends specifically. They are guaranteed to make you (as an aspie) feel like you have failed.

While we are all powerless to alter those contexts, we can recognise them for what they are - "OTHER PEOPLE's CONTEXTS"

This is the most empowering thing I've read on here thus far tachyon. Brilliant!

Just remember that you're the only person you need to make happy. Keep us posted on your progress and know that people care about you when you're out there.

Tachyon, hoo rah! Keep putting that message out there.

I rejected the outright acceptance of the opinions of others, including, parents, priests and teachers as a child. I am not saying that I was adverse to what was being promoted. I am saying I thought about what was being said and made up my own mind. That is to say I preferred my own opinion to that of others.
My mission is to be an excellent human if I could and not just occasionally, but by habit.
I am now 67, healthy, wealthy and some even say wise.
It all started with not taking fools with their own problems too seriously. It may be good advise at any age. Be true to yourself, bet on yourself. You know you better than others know you. Others build their egos by demeaning others that listen to their BS. Do your own thing. Build yourself and go where you want.

Last edited:
EP is right, whatever a successful live and living mean to you, go for it, do it, live it and don't let anyone or anything get in your way.

Sounds easy, and a bit cliche but, it isn't easy. It is a long, hard road full of failures, disappointments, betrayals, hardships and pain but, it is worth it all when the day comes that you can look back at your life and say "I did it, I made it, I am the me I want to be, the best me I can be and, I'm healthy, wealthy and, if not wise, I've certainly learned a lot along the way and, I like me and what I have become."

You will have shutdowns, meltdowns, fits of rage and frustration, you will get mad a others, mad at the world and, mad at yourself. Good, use the adrenalin that anger generates to do something positive. Even if it's just cleaning the house or getting some exercise.

EP is right, whatever a successful live and living mean to you, go for it, do it, live it and don't let anyone or anything get in your way.

Sounds easy, and a bit cliche but, it isn't easy. It is a long, hard road full of failures, disappointments, betrayals, hardships and pain but, it is worth it all when the day comes that you can look back at your life and say "I did it, I made it, I am the me I want to be, the best me I can be and, I'm healthy, wealthy and, if not wise, I've certainly learned a lot along the way and, I like me and what I have become."

You will have shutdowns, meltdowns, fits of rage and frustration, you will get mad a others, mad at the world and, mad at yourself. Good, use the adrenalin that anger generates to do something positive. Even if it's just cleaning the house or getting some exercise.

Bev, I agree with me as well as you. Congratulations on your successes. You are wonderful!

It's never too late. Start small to get a victory, do it again and again.

Once you fail at something you try, and you will, remember that Thomas Edison discovered 10,000 ways that a light bulb couldn't be made before he discovered the way they could.

New Threads

Top Bottom